NEVER use Blue Painters Tape on a cardboard tube

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use blue painters tape, however, I'll apply it to my pant leg and remove several times to weaken the adhesive. This is my method for glue fillets and fins on a naked tube - works every time.
An alternative for reducing the stickiness of blue tape is adhering it to one's forehead first. Requires a greasy forehead. Evidently I am made of grease, because this trick works for me even right out of a shower or bath. Pretty sure I picked that up from one of Tim van Milligan's videos.

I saved it, I need to get some primer on it, but it's at least ready for fillets next
BOVv72L.jpg
So it's a FatBoy!?

Well worth all the grief and effort then!

Tony

Last edited:
Removing the tape from an airframe tube, the adhesive on blue painters tape pulled the coating/outer layer off, thus leaving me with a monumental job of getting it smooth again 🤬 :facepalm:
Adhere the tape to your skin first. The oils from your skin reduce the adhesion to cardboard.

Removing the tape from an airframe tube, the adhesive on blue painters tape pulled the coating/outer layer off, thus leaving me with a monumental job of getting it smooth again 🤬 :facepalm:
Adhere the tape to your skin first. The oils from your skin reduce the adhesion to cardboard.

Quality tape.
There is Blue Painter tape that has printed lettering on it. There are two types one is for walls and one is for trim.
Then there is Blue masking tape (no writing on it). It adhesive is a bit on the strong side.

I never had issues with the painters tape and use it in my trade all the time.

I've had success with this yellow tape:

View attachment 551931

Can't go wrong with "Paint Block Technology" from a frog. That's what I always say.
Yes, but the paint block is sensitive to water, not solvent based paints typically used on rockets...

I have had luck using vinyl electrical tape, makes a very clean line and if you remove it slowly it comes off ok.

Quality tape.
There is Blue Painter tape that has printed lettering on it. There are two types one is for walls and one is for trim.
Then there is Blue masking tape (no writing on it). It adhesive is a bit on the strong side.

I never had issues with the painters tape and use it in my trade all the time.
my roll of blue tape has been thrown in the trash, problem solved:p

I like to use 3M fine line tape. It is low tack, I have never peeled off layers of cardboard using it. It is vinyl, so lines so sharp I've cut myself on them :) It does however cost lots. 30 bucks a roll, but I just saw $9 blue painters tape at HD this last weekend.

I took 1000 grit paper and spent a long time on it, but I've got it relatively smooth again. The one member has below his avatar "I refuse to do spirals", and I'm right there with him. There's no reason a person should have to waste the precious remaining time left in their life filling in something that could be prevented, if the mfg. would part with some of that revered corporate profit.
Duplicolor FILLER/primer. Give it a heavy coat, sand. No spirals. Far easier than trying to fill the seams.

Hans.

Interesting. Been buying and using blue tape on rockets for years and have only had an issue on one tube ever. I bought some BT80 tubes from a vendor and they were not the best quality and already had some fuzzies on the surface and felt very thin. Honestly I should have known better.

Beyond that I've never had an issue. I even use a squeegee to press it down around the edges and have left it on for days. Didn't matter the brand of blue tape or the brand of rocket. Always comes off cleanly.

Question. Had you previously filled the spirals and sanded them down before applying the tape? Also, what brand are the tubes?

You must have stickier Blue TaPE than I have purchased.

No, no. 2 in 1 sounds like Rustoleum. Our local auto parts stores only carry 2 types, Duplicolor Sandable primer (I think it comes in different colors, I get white), and the one labeled with the word FILLER in bold print. It's grey, spray it on thick. If you get real carried away and put it on thick enough that it runs, don't worry. In the summer, it's ready to sand down in less than an hour. Winter give it an hour or two. Sands very fast. A quick scrubbing with 320 grit takes most of it off. If you really have to, coat it again immediately. Then I shoot it with their Sandable Primer. It also dries fast, but goes on kind of thin. Next day, I quick sand that and put on the color coat. Haven't found a brand of color coat that seemed incompatible. Meaning that I've overcoated it with Krylon and Rustoleum, as well as, obviously, Duplicolor.

Hans.

No, no. 2 in 1 sounds like Rustoleum. Our local auto parts stores only carry 2 types, Duplicolor Sandable primer (I think it comes in different colors, I get white), and the one labeled with the word FILLER in bold print. It's grey, spray it on thick. If you get real carried away and put it on thick enough that it runs, don't worry. In the summer, it's ready to sand down in less than an hour. Winter give it an hour or two. Sands very fast. A quick scrubbing with 320 grit takes most of it off. If you really have to, coat it again immediately. Then I shoot it with their Sandable Primer. It also dries fast, but goes on kind of thin. Next day, I quick sand that and put on the color coat. Haven't found a brand of color coat that seemed incompatible. Meaning that I've overcoated it with Krylon and Rustoleum, as well as, obviously, Duplicolor.

Hans.
https://www.duplicolor.com/product/2-in-1-hi-build-primer/

After you spray it, it feels like velvet. I'm not sure if you want to leave much on (meaning sand most of it off) as I wonder how well a finish coat will stick if you leave a half inch of the primer on underneath.

Hans.

There are two types of 3M painters tape, #2080, and #2090, which until recently, were both blue. Always use 2080 for masking, also labeled “for delicate surfaces”, the adhesion is lower than 2090 (multi-surface), and it is thinner and smoother.

About a year ago, 3m changed colors, so 2080 is now purple. 2090 is good for range duty, but not masking In rocketry. There still maybe some old stock, so be sure to look at the number.

Even 2080 can pull up paint, if not adhered well to the underlying surface, but I rarely have this problem.

got it, thanks
I use the Dupli-Color (FP101) filler-primer, works great. Tried the Dupli-Color 2 in 1 (DAP1700), it was awful! My favorite is 3M bondo gray filler primer (720), which dries incredibly fast and sands the best of any primer I’ve tried.

I use the Dupli-Color (FP101) filler-primer, works great. Tried the Dupli-Color 2 in 1 (DAP1700), it was awful! My favorite is 3M bondo gray filler primer (720), which dries incredibly fast and sands the best of any primer I’ve tried.
the 2 in 1 got horrible reviews, so I'll look for the 720 3M primer, where do you buy yours?

There are two types of 3M painters tape, #2080, and #2090, which until recently, were both blue
Interesting, thanks. I'll take a closer look at my rolls. I saw the purple but figured it was probably even weaker than green...

the 3 reviews all say that the nozzle is junk on the 3M bondo filler so I'll have to test it in the store
Any supporting explanation? Anonymous? Didn’t read the instructions, perhaps?

I’ve used probaby 50 cans of the 3M bondo primer in the last 10 years, never had a problem. Gotta read the instructions, shake well, use within temperature limits, spray upright, proper distance & motion, etc. I get it at a local Ace HW, but not all locations carry it. The Dupli-Color FP101 I’ve found only at auto parts stores, and does go on a bit thicker, but still sands well.

My experience with blue Painters tape is to NOT leave it on the vehicle for an extended time, max 4 hours.

Apply the tape paint/sand then remove the tape.

This means retaping so think the matter through thoroughly.

I was building the LOC four inch Patriot and primed it with a Gray primer which was pulled up by the painter's tape.

I keep the tape on for several days.

Something learned is something gained!

About a year ago, 3m changed colors, so 2080 is now purple. 2090 is good for range duty, but not masking In rocketry. There still maybe some old stock, so be sure to look at the number.
Interesting. The 3M 501+ high temp masking tape I use for thrust rings is also purple. So we've gone from confusion from too many blue tapes to confusion from too many purple tapes. 🤣

Back