Nell (Goddard) from Arkansas [by FlisKits]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawf56

Pig Soooiiieee!!
Reaction score
I have had this kit for a couple of years, and finally decided to build it.

The "Nell" was the first liquid fuel rocket flown by Robert Goddard. It is being sold by FlisKits, though at the moment (7/21/22), it is not in stock.

m_IMG_2440small.jpg

Subscribed! I’ve got this kit in my build pile and will be watching intently. This is as non3FNC as it gets, and I am on board. Are you going to build the launch pad, too?

Subscribed! I’ve got this kit in my build pile and will be watching intently. This is as non3FNC as it gets, and I am on board. Are you going to build the launch pad, too?
For those of you that don't know, there are plans that show the Launch Pad that held the Nell (see photo above).

On this thread, I only plan to build the rocket. I will launch using a 48 inch launch rod (stipulated in the instructions).

If this is successful, I will then do a second thread on the Nell Launch Pad. I have attached a pdf of the Launch Structure.

Attachments

• NellLaunchPad.pdf
    902.3 KB · Views: 1
OK, now starts the long build on the structure. Remember, the rocket motor is located in the TOP Section.

m_IMG_2457small.jpg

At the Top, the simulated tubing curves just before attaching. This is simulated by a combination of plywood and balsa.

m_IMG_2456small.jpg

Great build progress! Glad the instructions are working well. A lot of work went into them :)

I was able to fly the Nell on the same site as Goddard did. Was one of the highlights of my rocketry adventures!

As part of the structural requirements, you put wooden dowels inside the BT-2 cardboard tubes. (All included in the kit.)

The instructions talk about wrapping the dowels with masking tape, or paper, to remove any slack. But the fit between the BT-2 tube and the wooden dowels is so good, that I have not needed any 'wrap' to get a good fit with the dowel.

m_IMG_2459small.jpg

m_IMG_2461small.jpg

One of the requirements is that you cut a notch, and 'break' the tube/dowel to get the correct bend. If you follow the instructions, it works pretty well.

I used a razor saw, then did a little fine work with my xacto knife.

m_IMG_2460small.jpg

Note that the instructions recommend using epoxy on the tube structure of the model rocket.

I am using two brands:

BalsaUSA Gold 12-minute Epoxy: https://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/1375.htm
Good strong bond. Used with RC aircraft. Less viscous (more 'runny').

Devcon 5-minute Epoxy: Ace Hardware
Not as strong as 12-minute epoxy, but more viscous (less runny). Seems better at bonding different materials. Better at filling gaps. Drys fast enough that you can hold parts together until bonded.

Remember: Cheap epoxy gives a weak bond.

m_IMG_2463small.jpg

m_IMG_2464small.jpg

Great build progress! Glad the instructions are working well. A lot of work went into them :)

I was able to fly the Nell on the same site as Goddard did. Was one of the highlights of my rocketry adventures!
I was glad to be part of the small, wet bunch of people who witnessed that flight.

Your build is looking great, @Crawf56.

OK, let's assemble a rocket. The instructions talk about attaching tubes on one side, then the other. They suggest about a 2-1/2 inch high support to hold the tubes.

I decided to attach one side 'up in the air', so I can look down and check alignment.

m_IMG_2471small.jpg

Note also that I put CD cases under the cradles so the tube that goes through the Bottom Nose Cone can have clearence.

Looking at alignment.

m_IMG_2472small.jpg

m_IMG_2473small.jpg

Initially, I used 12-minute epoxy so that I had plenty of time to adjust the tube assembly. After it dried, I added 5-minute epoxy fillets.

Note that I did not epoxy the Bottom cross tube (goes through the nosecone) until the 12-minute epoxy had set. I wanted the cross tube there to help alignment.

m_IMG_2475small.jpg

m_IMG_2474small.jpg

Once I had one side of the tube structure epoxyed in place, I then attached the other side. But I used a different strategy.

The Bottom cross tube (goes through the nose cone) is a straight line (of sorts). If the second tube structure is lined up with the cross tube, then it is in the right position (probably).

So, I used 5-minute epoxy to secure the second tube to the Bottom section WHILE I HELD IT IN PLACE. I gripped the tube assembly at the cross tube, using wax paper so I would not get epoxy on my hand.

Note that the CD supports are not needed, since the tubes are to the side.

m_IMG_2476small.jpg

Back