Neil_W's half-baked design thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If abusing OpenRocket is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
View attachment 630601
Very interesting (especially to me as likely over 90% of my rockets have square bodies and 4 sided pyramid nose cones.)

How valid do you feel the aerodynamic stability calcs are for the sim?

I am curious how much an "issue" the flat sided nose cone becomes when angle of attack goes mildly over zero, as might be expected with a 5-10 mph wind gust, as well as the flat sides of the body. FWIW, my mind sim suggests either (especially the cone) likely throws the CP forward.

One hard part is what DIAMETER standard cylindrical rocket do you compare this with? a cylinder that would fit INSIDE the square body rocket, one that would fit OUTSIDE the rocket, is something in between.

You are perilously close to ruining my excuse for not learning to use OpenRocket!:mad:

Very interesting (especially to me as likely over 90% of my rockets have square bodies and 4 sided pyramid nose cones.)

I am curious how much an "issue" the flat sided nose cone becomes when angle of attack goes mildly over zero, as might be expected with a 5-10 mph wind gust, as well as the flat sides of the body. FWIW, my mind sim suggests either (especially the cone) likely throws the CP forward.

One hard part is what DIAMETER standard cylindrical rocket do you compare this with? a cylinder that would fit INSIDE the square body rocket, one that would fit OUTSIDE the rocket, is something in between.

You are perilously close to ruining my excuse for not learning to use OpenRocket!:mad:
I have typically used an equivalent area cross section. That would predict form drag properly but would underpredict surface friction and whatever extra drag comes with the sharp corners. Equal cross section perimeter might be better. That said, I also didn’t want to give more credit than was due to the fins, so there’s definitely some mind sim to be done here.

First and foremost, please note the static margin shown on the OR screen grab. This makes it painfully obvious that the simulated stability is useless.

Also, I have no doubt that you're right about the nose pyramid pulling the CP up. Mainly, I'm confident of that because an ordinary nose cone does the same thing.

First and foremost, please note the static margin shown on the OR screen grab. This makes it painfully obvious that the simulated stability is useless.
I looked at it and thought it was a bit weird, but I am not a regular user. My MindSim does pretty well, as mentioned most of my rockets are square, and I would say that 95 percent are stable (kind of similar to their designer!)

Most are probably a bit overstable, but I haven't really experimented enough to push the envelope.

More OpenRocket abuse: Alcubierre 2

View attachment 631643

Yes this is hard to do. No, it won't produce a usable flight simulation.
Kind of a Alcubierre meets Kessel Runner... cue the Barry White music... and the next thing ya know, 9 months later... Alcubierre 2​

296208-ed6a923ef3540c5893e3f20ed7356b24.jpg 005.JPG 1708444250150.png

Kind of a Alcubierre meets Kessel Runner... cue the Barry White music... and the next thing ya know, 9 months later... Alcubierre 2​
Hey now, this is a family forum. 😜

Obviously this particular design was derived from my experiments trying to enter Kessel Runner into OR. Now that I have the technique down, I'm going to play with it. This is the first and most obvious idea that came to mind. I have a modification to make that will make it look better (I think).

Tweaks. Trying to decide if this thing would have a chance of surviving a landing. I enlarged the ball but now I'm having my doubts about that (previously used ping pong ball size).
1712367294079.png

I'm pretty sure that will survive a landing. First hit will be on the motor mount, and the aft fins are sloped reasonably far forward.

What's the ball for? Ball in a cage? You're supposed to whittle those out of one chunk of wood. ;-)

Those fins break my brain. I think you'd have to make them pretty sturdy. Alternatively, dual deploy with an enormous main chute coming out at 200 AGL. I agree that you should build it.

If it was a real spaceship, I'd hesitate to imagine what the interior was like.

What's the ball for? Ball in a cage? You're supposed to whittle those out of one chunk of wood. ;-)

Those fins break my brain. I think you'd have to make them pretty sturdy. Alternatively, dual deploy with an enormous main chute coming out at 200 AGL. I agree that you should build it.

If it was a real spaceship, I'd hesitate to imagine what the interior was like.
The trail fin edges sweep forward, so shouldn’t impact the ground as first contact.

Moving the fins forward 1-2 cm wouldn’t hurt.

Alternatively, slightly shorter motor mount and let the motor and hook extend 1-2 cm further back.

Given length of rocket effect of such changes on stability should be minimal, certainly nothing a bit of nose weight couldn’t easily correct.

The perfect Hexagon on the tail view is really cool and something I should have (given 6 evenly spaced “strut-fins) but did not expect!

Last edited:
Back