NEFAR Report: August 13th

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetra2

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to write a brief launch report for my first launch under my L1 cert, and the other cool stuff that I saw.

My Launches

My first launch that day, was, technically, a F22J I've had loaded for quite a while in Eugene's A.A. 29mm Cone saucer. Really cool flight, about 200 feet up and with a huge, consistent wobble all the way up because of the turbulence under saucer. Landed about 20 feet away from the LCO tent. Great flight, and those casings are HOT for a while. Ouchy! ;)

My second flight was my Thor (first flight) on a I195J-7. This was a motor deploy flight. As some of you are aware, the I195J is the largest BlackJack currently produced by AT. I was excited to see this flight! I prepped the motor, which felt really cool, because I now am prepping the big motors that I drooled over not a year ago. I used a Covert Recovery chute for 5-8 pound rockets (my Thor weighed in at about 6 pounds.) I took it out to the pad, hooked up the Firstfire, then stood back with Eugene and admired it. We were quite amazed that even with the rocket at the 200-ish foot pads, it still retained it's impressive size. I played the waiting game at the LCO tent, then here came the launch. The big BlackJack, well, not quite roared to life like a WL, but did produce an impressive sound compared to the smaller, sputtering BJ's. The 2.5 sec burn ended around 500-700 feet, and then for the next 1000 feet, until apogee, the sucker WHISTLED like a madman! It was absolutely stunning how much it whistled! I had trimmed the delay from a -10 to a -7, and that worked out perfectly. Ejection was at apogee, rocket horizontal. The 16 foot long shockcord took it's time to unravel, as did the chute. It probably fell about 100 feet befor everything opened. The chute looked absolutely beautiful up there. Perfect landing about 600-800 feet from the pad.

I then headed back to camp and started prepping my Thumper Jr., my beast rocket. This thing weighs in at about 7 pounds unloaded, and about 9.5 ready. It's quite the short and fat rocket! With the possibility for a 5-motor cluster, I decided about a month prior that I would use the I357T, a motor that I've wanted to fly for about ever, and 2 G64's in the 29mm outboards. I prepped all the motors and the rocket for flight, which took about a half-hour. I took it to the pad and got it all hooked up. I used all AT FirstFire's for the flight, Jr.'s in the G64's. Twisted them together and ensured they'd all stay on by twisting them around my motor retention screws for the G's. Then I played the waiting game again. This flight, I think I was a bit more nervous than on the Thor's flight. This was my first HPR cluster, with a total combined impulse of 590n-s and an at-ignition, if everything were to light together, thrust ratio of about 14:1, or about 140 pounds of thrust. The thing I was really worried about though was the issue of if only one of the G's lit and the rocket canted over like crazy, either towards the crowd or out over the open field. Needless to say, this was a Heads Up launch. A 5-count was given, and the I357T lit instantaneously, giving a BEAUTIFUL blue flame, then at about 200 feet, then right G lit, then a split second later, the left. It gave the rocket a beautiful wobble, then it coasted to a 1500 foot apogee. The dual chute recovery system worked nicely, the 3.5 pound cone under a 45" chute and the 5-6 pound body under a 60" military flare chute. The body landed close, and we noticed something trailing it as it reached about 150 feet, and those were the igniters that I had twisted around the screw! Sweet! Beautiful flight on a HOT day.

I'll let Eugene post pics, since he had the camera! He captured some beauties this time around!

Jason

What a great day for flying! It was HOT, but no wind to speak of!

I flew my Shrox X-15B (E30-7), Scratch Weasel (F22-7J), and PML Ariel (H165-M Redline).

I brought, but didn't get to my BARnone, and 38mm Crayon. :(

All successful flights with only a minor casualty... I thought I'd get cute and
recover the X15 with an X-form chute. Well, it tangled and came down a bit
hard on the left tail stabilizer- SNAP! Should be a relatively easy repair.

I took several pictures, but not many of my flights. Got a nice smoke trail
of the X-15... Here it is on the pad, with Eugenefl prepping the
saucer on the next pad over...

Here's Jason with his Thor and Thumper (and Eugene's 29mm Deuce).

I have to say, both of Jason's flights were very impressive! The Thor whistled
for an incredibly long time. And the Thumper cluster ignition was a sight to be
seen!

Here's a lift-off shot of Eugene's 29mm Deuce. Always a crowd pleaser!

Check out the length of those flames!

Deuce under power. There was a slight rotation that curled the smoke
into the signature DNA trail.

I think this might be just prior to motor burn out. You can see a slight difference
in the flame lengths (or it could be just the angle)...

Here's a shot of <a href="https://www.jamesyawn.com/">Jimmy Yawn's</a> Sugar Rush.

As usual with Jim's stuff, I was not quick enough with the shutter to catch the spark's
or anything other than a smoke trail. :(

If you ever get a chance to see one of his motor's fly, do so!

Howdy all! All present had a great time yesterday. The absolute best part of the day is that there is NO bad news to report! :D What a sigh of relief!

I had some cool flights of my own but I think Jason's Thumper cluster stole the show. :D

1. Art Applewhite saucer, G33J - I've never seen a saucer fly before and needless to say I was happily surprised. The saucer distorted the smoke trail as it wobbled all the way up. It was quite silly actually.

2. MAXI-Gyroc, G40W - This bird just doesn't give up. I flew it again on a G40-7W. The altitude was amazing - around 1100ft or so. As always, just beyond apogee the MMT ejected out of the rear and Gyroc began its descent in helicopter recovery fashion. Always a crowd pleaser!

4. Dr. Zooch Space Shuttle, Quest C6-5 - A lot of rocketeers were puzzled by this kit. Many asked if I scratchbuilt it or where I got it. My answers always left them asking where they could get one and how much. The look of surprise was priceless. :) The flight was great. The C6-5 gave it a bit long of a delay as it was nose down when the ejection charge fired. The orbiter looked like a child taking its first steps at first. It kinda wobbled but after it picked up some speed it settled into a super glide! The stack recovered under an 18" Top Flight nylon chute.

5. 29mm Upscale Deuce, 2x F20-7W - I bet every Deuce in the world sends Jim Flis a positive vibe on every launch. This one has to be no different because spectators are always giving me thumbs up for the flights. Even on F20s this design makes the rocket really light up - lots of smoke and flame! Gotta love White Lightning!

6. Upscale Estes Bullpup, G75J - WOW! I had no idea this motor had that kind of power! My Bullpup screamed of the pad under BlackJack power! The combination of a white paint scheme and BlackJack smoke definitely makes for great pictures and sharp contrast. All recovered safely. Oddly enough, the Bullpup was my last flight and landed within about 25ft of the car! :D Talk about a great day of flying!

1st pic is of Jason and his BSD Thor.

Here is Jason's Thumper Jr. boosting on the I. The G64s came to pressure a split second after I snapped this picture.

Lance (Lalligood) made an appearance for one flight out at NEFAR. He flew his PML Phobos on a 38/120 G71W. Here's Jason and Lance getting things set up on the pad.

I started off my day with an Art Applewhite Saucer on a G33J. I had a misfire the first time around but that's life with Copperheads.

My MAXI-Gyroc is a real crowd pleaser on midpower. Here it goes on a G40.

Brian posted a great lifoff shot of my Deuce so I won't repeat with a similar picture.

Here's a shot of my Dr. Zooch Shuttle lifting off on a Quest C6-5.

...and finally, I flew my 3" Bullpup on a G75J. I really like this motor for this rocket. It's a great combination!

I got a good shot of Brian's PML Ariel boosting on an H165 REDLINE! :)

Here's Brian's scratchbuilt LOC Weasel clone going up on an F22J. Nicely done!

You can see a lot more pictures of other NEFAR members' flights at the NEFAR website (NEFAR.net) or just click here for the 8/13 launch pics - <a href="https://nefar.net/discus/messages/112/656.html?1123985026">PHOTOS</a>

Brian, I got a shot of Jimmy's Sugar Rush boosting - EX guys check this out!!!

It was DEFINITELY great to see all the TRFers out at NEFAR on Saturday. I'm sorry that I couldn't stay longer. As Brian said, it was %&^$ HOT and almost ZERO wind!! Great for flying rockets but it was a tough, tough day to be a spectator.

eugenefl, GREAT PICS! The ones you posted here are fantastic but the ones you posted over at the NEFAR site are suh-weet! Especially the one of Jimmy Yawn's Sugar Rush. He truly has those sparky sugar motors down pat. I've never seen one not ignite the first time--and they always impress!!!

I'm glad jetra2 was able to get his reload in my 38/600 casing & get that Thor up in the air. I also appreciate having the opportunity to use Jason's 38/120 casing & G61W reload with my PML Phobos. Thanks Jason!

Back