Need help with unstable Estes Sky Dart BG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhein

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have always loved the design of the Estes Sky Dart BG. Using the plans from JimZ I was able to clone it. The glider itself passes the hand toss test nicely. The problem is the boost part. It is scary unstable. With a modest B6-2 motor it will fly vertical for about 75 feet, then roll to cruise missile mode (while motor is still thrusting), finally making a sharp left turn (usually). The motor pod ejects and the Sky Dart glides back to earth.

The instructions call for adding weight to the forward end of the motor pod. The instructions don't mention how much weight, they simply say use several washers. My theory is: a) I don't have enough weight in the pod or b) I have too much.

Right now I am too nervous to ramp up to a C6-3.

Any ideas?

thanks
Jim

The "washers" in that kit are lead weights and weigh about 0.12 oz. a piece. You should have about 0.6 oz. in the front of the pod. Hope this helps.

With the flight profile you describe, either you have not enough weight in the pod, or possibly your elevator isn't flat on boost.

kj

.6 to .7 ounces of weight is the mount you need for the power pod. The elevator needs to be FLAT against the body tube during boost. It then deflects up for the glide phase. If you still have problems with your model built from the JimZ site you can always purchase the new updated kit of the Sky Dart from Estes. I get one minute flights with a C6-3 motor all the time with mine. The lighter the finish the better the model will glide.

John Boren

Latest posts

Back