my thoughts on trf - anybody care? ;-)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecooler

Reaction score
After reading the "why" thread it sounds like there has been some big controversy here at TRF. A lot of statements were made about what is good/bad around here and being who I am I would like to weigh in. Here are my thoughts as a pretty new member:

- I come to TRF and other rocketry forums to learn how to build and fly the coolest, most fun rocket possible!
- Of all the places I've visited, I have found TRF to have the most valuable content, and an active group of members who answer questions quickly and provide a lot of insite and great ideas.
- I don't understand a lot of the complaints I've seen about the quality of content of the site. From what I've seen TRF is the best!
- I also don't understand some of the complaints about "worthless" posts in threads. I have seen some folks provide the same answer to a question, but so what? What is the big deal?
- In general I don't understand the folks who get their undies in a bunch about this or that perceived problem in the forum. It's a forum. To exchange info about building rockets. It's supposed to be fun. It's not the center of the known universe. If you don't like it, leave. If it's not fun, leave. It's just a forum - get on with your life!
- Early on I got dinged for posting a potentially sexually suggestive note in a thread. I was surprised but I understand the point - this forum is for kids as well as adults and we should behave accordingly. I get that. I appreciate that. I don't think the rules are that hard to live by.
- I am impressed and amazed at the dedication of those who run the forum. It sounds like a huge amount of work and I can't ever imagine spending that much of my limited free time on such a thankless endeavor!

That's the forum as I see it,

Joe

This seems to happen every year (usually late summer, I think, but it's late fall now). A bunch of people get upset about stuff, and there are conflicts, and some people end up leaving the forum. I don't know what it is, but I guess we have to live with it.

I agree that this forum is probably the best resource rocketry has. I have learned almost everything I know about HPR from TRF.

Part of the problem is that it is really hard to tell what someone means (tone, implied meaning) from electronic communication. That's what the smilies are for. :)

After reading the "why" thread it sounds like there has been some big controversy here at TRF. A lot of statements were made about what is good/bad around here and being who I am I would like to weigh in. Here are my thoughts as a pretty new member:

- I come to TRF and other rocketry forums to learn how to build and fly the coolest, most fun rocket possible!
- Of all the places I've visited, I have found TRF to have the most valuable content, and an active group of members who answer questions quickly and provide a lot of insite and great ideas.
- I don't understand a lot of the complaints I've seen about the quality of content of the site. From what I've seen TRF is the best!
- I also don't understand some of the complaints about "worthless" posts in threads. I have seen some folks provide the same answer to a question, but so what? What is the big deal?
- In general I don't understand the folks who get their undies in a bunch about this or that perceived problem in the forum. It's a forum. To exchange info about building rockets. It's supposed to be fun. It's not the center of the known universe. If you don't like it, leave. If it's not fun, leave. It's just a forum - get on with your life!
- Early on I got dinged for posting a potentially sexually suggestive note in a thread. I was surprised but I understand the point - this forum is for kids as well as adults and we should behave accordingly. I get that. I appreciate that. I don't think the rules are that hard to live by.
- I am impressed and amazed at the dedication of those who run the forum. It sounds like a huge amount of work and I can't ever imagine spending that much of my limited free time on such a thankless endeavor!

Joe

I agree the forum is doing well and will only get better :) I work on this forum so folks like yourself can enjoy the hobby and so can I. It is a difficult job sometimes but I have to weed my garden as well and that looks great :) I have learned lots from many folks here and I am very grateful for that :)
Cheers
fred

This seems to happen every year (usually late summer, I think, but it's late fall now). A bunch of people get upset about stuff, and there are conflicts, and some people end up leaving the forum. I don't know what it is, but I guess we have to live with it.

I agree that this forum is probably the best resource rocketry has. I have learned almost everything I know about HPR from TRF.

Part of the problem is that it is really hard to tell what someone means (tone, implied meaning) from electronic communication. That's what the smilies are for. :)

Rocket migration patterns, I think. They must head down to Mexico for the Fall/Winter.

Joe

Pretty much that's it in a nutshell.;):D

I love TRF, after EMRR i find this site to be the best. i like the fact that it is child friendly, i like posts that simply say - thats a great rocket, or well done, or good paint job. with so many people in the world so quick to blame or be negative, its nice to have a bit of praise posted around.

I completely agree, this Forum is The BEST that I have found. After getting back into model rocketry over 3 years ago, this forum which I found via an internet search on rocket vendors was a coup.

The resources that are available here are invaluable. The members here freely share ideas, advice, experiences and most of all great photos/videos.

I have found this forum to be very helpful for me in understanding/learning the new aspects of this hobby from my kit only LPR days now to my fledgling HPR efforts. It also provided me the ability to find a couple of great clubs with very dedicated members that promote our hobby well as it should be.

:D

Happy Thanksgiving !!!

Back