My take on the LOC MMA-2 38-29mm adapter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigBaddy

It's OK to not know something
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Building a Minie Mag at the moment and have plans for a few other 38mm capable rockets, so I acquired their 38-29mm adapter. Didn't quite care for how the usage is described in their instructions.

So, in place of the cardboard thrust ring I made a 3/8" ply thrust ring for the 38mm tube. Realizing the stock z-clip holes then wouldn't work, I added some threaded inserts further outboard so the z-clips can hold onto the 38mm thrust ring. Then, the 29mm tube got a nice Estes threaded retainer that still clears the z-clips. This seems to keep the motor more forward than as designed and should be plenty secure. The supplied thrust ring is 1" long :confused:

Anyone done similar with these? I doubt this is an original idea.

IMG_20220531_185417515.jpgIMG_20220531_185515767.jpg

Last edited:
I have a few of the LOC cardboard adapters. Didn't like the layout so they are sitting on the parts pile.

I have Aeropack retainers and adapters, but would like to use these cardboard adapters on riskier flights. The aluminum ones are very pricey...

I'll take another look, and see if I can use your process to use them.

Thanks for the info.

I have a couple LOC style adapters. They work. Will probably build something better/lighter using MMT and plywood centering rings one day.

I use the LOC adapters on my older HPR rockets that don't have Aeropack retainers. Never had an issue with them. Cheap and easy. Can't go wrong!

Back