My "New" RCRG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAviator

Reaction score
In my latest attempt to get into the "performance" RCRG crowd I give you this cobbled mess. My parents bought me a Blue Arrow Angel DLG a VERY long time ago. I had put "budget" servos in it and in turn crashed the thing. I let the leftovers languish in my parent's basement for years until I found them a few weeks ago. The wing was in good shape with the exception of one of the wing tips. The only other salvageable parts were the tailboom and the stabilizer mount (which was, as it turns out, irrevocably glued to the boom.)

I cut off the wing tips, fashioned a pod from some heavier contest balsa, made new tail feathers, and outfitted it with proper electronics and voila. An RCRG that at least looks half way decent. We'll see how she flies.

Wing span: 25.5"
Wing Area: 100 sq. in.
Glide Weight: 94g (3.3oz)
Control: Rudder/Elevator
Motors: A8, B6, C6, Quest C6
Electronics: Spektrum AR6255 Rx, 2x Dymond D47 servos, 2S 180mAh LiPo battery

RCRG 07_Reduced.jpg

I'm hoping to make the first flight today, so wish me luck!

Attachments

• RCRG 08_Reduced.jpg
    RCRG 08_Reduced.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 167
  • RCRG 09_Reduced.jpg
    RCRG 09_Reduced.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 117
Doesn't look half bad. might even be able to chad stage C-C for D power flights.

kj

I got several flights in today. Started off with an A8-0 boost. Not much more than a hand toss as far as altitude goes, maybe 100 feet or so. Enough for ~30s of glide and not enough altitude for thermal hunting. I spent about 4 flights on various B motors working out the trim. At best, got about 300 feet of altitude. Could possibly thermal hunt, but for about one thermal. Then made the final flight of the day on a Quest C6-3. This glider LOVES the Q C6-3. I got probably 800 feet or so of altitude and plenty of time to hunt lift, even for my relatively inexperienced thumbs. I stalled the thing all over the place and still got enough lift to stay in the air for just shy of four minutes. To say that I am happy with the result of this little experiment would be an understatement. I put $0 into getting this together, just time, balsa, and equipment that I had laying around doing nothing. I'll probably fly this once or twice at NARAM if you want to check it out, Kevin.

Also, I'm pretty sure that an Estes C6-0 to Quest C6-3 would put this thing well above 1500 feet. It was mighty hard to get orientation at 800', so I think I'll pass.

Looks nice. I think B and C RCRG is a great niche for RC. The avionics these days are cheap and light. I'll have my "Ravenling" (flying B's and C's) to fly at NARAM any time I am not competing or working the range.

Pretty sweet to get a performance RCRG up and flying for pennies. I'd like to check your model out at NARAM as well. I'll look you up.

Don

Small span models get small fast. :) We can put an altimeter on it at NARAM. For comparison, my S8E ship was boosting to ~700 feet this past week. Matt's lighter and more efficient models were boosting to ~1000ft.

kj

I have one of those , new in the box.
Think I bought it when the build thread was going on.
Interested in how this goes......

This looks like fun -

Is the pod at zero degrees to the boom? Or someplace else?

And what was it like on boost? Hands off or did you need to correct the boost a bit?

I have one of these lying around - thinking of copying your efforts -

Thanks!

Dan

I got several flights in today. Started off with an A8-0 boost. Not much more than a hand toss as far as altitude goes, maybe 100 feet or so. Enough for ~30s of glide and not enough altitude for thermal hunting. I spent about 4 flights on various B motors working out the trim. At best, got about 300 feet of altitude. Could possibly thermal hunt, but for about one thermal. Then made the final flight of the day on a Quest C6-3. This glider LOVES the Q C6-3. I got probably 800 feet or so of altitude and plenty of time to hunt lift, even for my relatively inexperienced thumbs. I stalled the thing all over the place and still got enough lift to stay in the air for just shy of four minutes. To say that I am happy with the result of this little experiment would be an understatement. I put $0 into getting this together, just time, balsa, and equipment that I had laying around doing nothing. I'll probably fly this once or twice at NARAM if you want to check it out, Kevin.

Also, I'm pretty sure that an Estes C6-0 to Quest C6-3 would put this thing well above 1500 feet. It was mighty hard to get orientation at 800', so I think I'll pass.

I must say that I had a lot of fun with this glider and learned a lot. I flew it another five times at NARAM this past week and even got to demo a new Aerotech C3.4 and D2.3 in it. Great motors all around and the minimum diameter guys would have a blast with them as well. Chris Taylor got a few pics of my glider in boost and glide, so I present them to you here.

Latest posts

Back