My latest oddroc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The CG is well in front of the CP. Also drag stability. I've flown some other high drag rockets. Both of the attached have flown.

Attachments

• 20200202_085158.jpg
    20200202_085158.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 74
  • 20201112_205427[29].jpg
    20201112_205427[29].jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 76
But unlike a spool, it has curved surfaces that reduce the drag effect.

How did you determine a center of pressure?

The center of pressure of a sphere is at the geometric center of the sphere.
The aerodynamic force on a sphere is pure drag, no lift, and proportional to the area of the sphere.

If the five spheres are the same size, and you ignore body and interaction effects, that means the CP would be 4/5 of the way between the center of the nose sphere and the centers of the fin spheres.

Given that there is a body tube and interactions, that might be a bit optimistic -- I'd probably design for a CP like 3/4 of the way back.

Which kinda looks like what you did.

The rocket is 60 inches long and I put the center of pressure 14 inches from the leading edge of the fins. CG is 18 inches from the leading edge of the fins. That's almost to the center of the rocket. If the first flight is unstable I'll add some nose weight.

It's 60" long, weighs 54 ounces and is 3" in diameter. I used 6" styrofoam balls for the nose cone and in place of regular fins. It has a 38mm x 15" motor mount.
VERY cool design! Can't wait to see how this turns. Hoping for a video of its first flight, it should be spectacular no matter what happens. :popcorn:

It's 60" long, weighs 54 ounces and is 3" in diameter. I used 6" styrofoam balls for the nose cone and in place of regular fins. It has a 38mm x 15" motor mount.
Wow awesome oddroc. Ingenius concept.

You could reduce the base drag of the spheres a little if you add some surface features on the windward side, kind of like the dimples on a golf ball, you know? Or equally proportional height discs in a circle around the front facing perimeter just ahead of the max diameter sides of the spheres.

Back