My Finished Bat Ray (Pictures Attached)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well I finally completely my Bat Ray build. The reason I say finally is because I had received this as gift from my girlfriend last Christmas, so how nice it was to finish it almost one year ago to the date. I can't wait to show it to her!! IDK - you guys know how it is. A lot of projects on the work bench and distractions with scratch builds...well I followed through and got it done. I had fun building this kit. All the parts that came with the kit are of high quality and they fit great. ;) The kit was pretty easy to finish. I used Duplicolor primer and paint. I also wet sanded the primer before laying down the paint. I got some "fisheyes" in the finish, but went back and wet sanded them out and reapplied one more coat making a few passes. I'm actually pretty happy with the results. I wasn't really trying to get a perfect finish, but wanted it to look decent. I pretty much told myself, if it isn't a scaled model rocket (Like a Saturn V) then I'm not going to be too concerned. I'm sure it will take it's fair share of dings and scratches over the many future flights to come. Another thing I did differently is that I painted the fins first (Gloss Gray) one at a time before painting the body (Gloss Black). Not sure why I did it that way, but work out fine.

The nose cone is balsa and I used Aerogloss Balsa Filler Primer followed by a few applications of their sanding sealer and of course sanding between coats. This is my first time painting a balsa nose cone so I pretty much just played it by the book. Maybe on the next build I'll use the CA method to harden the nose cone first.

Also I drilled (3) 1/8" holes in the airframe just below the nose cone shoulder so I can use my Jolly Logic 2 Altimeter so I can record the flight data. Let's hope I get get it back. ;)

I would highly recommend this kit to anyone.:headbang: I did make some changes to the kit. I got rid of the stock two piece shock cord of nylon and Kevlar and replaced it with some #300 Kevlar (one piece). I also replaced the 18" parachute with a 20" Fruity Chutes (TARC) Thanks Gene!! I'm also going to use a Fruity Chutes Nomex blanket, not pictured. Recovery hardware will consist of a 1/8" quick link and a 600lb barrel swivel. Engine retention is Aeropack and I will be using the Rouse Tech hardware to fly this "BAT"!!

I have another MADCOW (Scooter) that I hope to start soon. I'm also going to be working on my G-Force for my Level 1. Maybe I'll do a build thread on them? Not sure yet?

Hope you guys enjoy the pictures.

018.jpg019.jpg020.jpg021.jpg022.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking build. Make sure you post some pictures when you take it for a spin.

Your always complaining about your paint jobs!! Well, I'd complain about this one for sure---It's too darn good---H

Exceptional work!

Good thing you got the pictures before you launched it. Probably will never look that good again. LOL!

+1 on the Fruity Chutes recovery gear. I like the chutes, the nomex blankets and those big honking swivels like in your pictures.

BayouRat cameras are a sweet deal. I've had one for a while and like the heck out of it. I attach it to the body tube of my rockets with a blue painters tape. Just be sure to create a fairing with tape along with leading edge of the camera to prevent it from acting like a scoop and then a few wraps around the body tube/camera. So far the blue painters tape has gone 250 mph with no problems.

Geeze that turned out very nice ,the paint looks good with the tow tones ,great look with the grey/black .I never thought of using that two tone look ,it gives it some "POP" !

Sweet job Dan !

Paul T (who is always jealous when people paint in winter)

Very nice job. I cannot see how anyone would every complain about that paint job.

Exceptional work!

Good thing you got the pictures before you launched it. Probably will never look that good again. LOL!

+1 on the Fruity Chutes recovery gear. I like the chutes, the nomex blankets and those big honking swivels like in your pictures.

BayouRat cameras are a sweet deal. I've had one for a while and like the heck out of it. I attach it to the body tube of my rockets with a blue painters tape. Just be sure to create a fairing with tape along with leading edge of the camera to prevent it from acting like a scoop and then a few wraps around the body tube/camera. So far the blue painters tape has gone 250 mph with no problems.

I bought the same exact camera from BayouRat (Key Chain Camera) looks like a key fob. A couple buttons. I can't wait to try it out. I'm also using velcro in addition with the blue painters tape. I really like the Fruity Chutes. A little pricey, but well made and great design!

Back