Music Break: Post Your Favorite 70s Songs...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Fanfare For The Common Man"... stirred an unrelated memory.

There was a show in the 60s, "The 20th Century" narrated by Walter Cronkite (an actual history show, not like the History Channel). Morphed into "The 21st Century" in the latter part of the decade; described science/tech that was expected to impact the human condition. Even the advertisements were about science/tech. Was this music (not by ELP of course) the intro for that show? OldGuys™ help me out here.

Funny how a few notes can bring a half-century-old memory to the surface.

"Fanfare For The Common Man"... stirred an unrelated memory.

There was a show in the 60s, "The 20th Century" narrated by Walter Cronkite (an actual history show, not like the History Channel). Morphed into "The 21st Century" in the latter part of the decade; described science/tech that was expected to impact the human condition. Even the advertisements were about science/tech. Was this music (not by ELP of course) the intro for that show? OldGuys™ help me out here.
Wiki says that it wasn't either of those 2 shows.

It was definitely theme for the opening of a TV special. I was thinking 70’s Olympics, now you’ve got me wondering.
"The fanfare has found much use as a theme for television programs. In the United States, Emerson, Lake and Palmer's arrangement of Fanfare for the Common Man was the opening theme song for the CBS Sports Spectacular. In Mexico, it was the main title theme of TV Azteca TV sport program DeporTV."

One of my favourites!

Related story........at my job, I work on a team/crew that works sort of in the mainstream of the company, but sort of outside the "regular" bounds. We do things a bit outside the "normal" way of getting the job done, and are subject to slightly different "rules" as the regular folk. And my boss's last name is Barrett. Recently it was put forth that we needed a semi-official name for the team. A call was put out for suggestions to consider.

Of course you know the glaringly obvious, (and perfect), choice......."Barrett's Privateers"
Which I, of course, submitted as my suggestion.

It was not adopted.

Didn't help that no one on the team, nor my boss, had ever heard of Stan Rogers.
Cretins.

s6

Last edited:
Just ran across this new old song. I'm not sure how I missed this all this time. These guys are really cookin' :)

Back