Multiple Parachute simulation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bavspaceprogram

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am doing TARC this year, and in the rules, it states:

"The portion of the rocket
containing the egg and altimeter must return to the ground safely with a single parachute of any size as its sole
recovery device. The portion of the rocket containing the rocket motor must return separately and safely, not
connected in any manner to the portion containing the egg and altimeter, using a recovery device of the team’s choice."

How would I go about simulating how long only one of the sections of the rocket would come down? Currently I am using OpenRocket, does Rocksim have this capability?

If neither, are there any other ways?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about Open Rocket and how you would simulate that. You should be able to attach a chute to each section and sim them as descending separately.

The other option is to use the weight of each section and use the decent rate calculator programs available, like this one, to determine chute size, decent speeds and time of decent. Be advised that the linked calculator will, IMHO, greatly overestimate the size of chute you need. But that is what test flights are for.

Back