Motor Info in OR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starfire73

OpenRocket Wannabe
Reaction score
@neil_w

I am wondering if anyone (Neil maybe?) knows of a way to edit entries in the main engine file in OR, so I don't have to add the identified information below to each rocket. I would like the motor info displayed as shown (no leading "HP" in many cases, case size and type, approximate cost - and including the commas) so I can export it as a .csv file and create tables, sort the data, etc. I've found that to be very helpful, but I would like to enter the information for a particular motor only once, instead of with each different rocket.

Screenshot 2023-11-24 211832.png

@neil_w

I am wondering if anyone (Neil maybe?) knows of a way to edit entries in the main engine file in OR, so I don't have to add the identified information below to each rocket. I would like the motor info displayed as shown (no leading "HP" in many cases, case size and type, approximate cost - and including the commas) so I can export it as a .csv file and create tables, sort the data, etc. I've found that to be very helpful, but I would like to enter the information for a particular motor only once, instead of with each different rocket.

View attachment 617006
Use EngEdit and add the engine into the database so you can use it everywhere:

@neil_w

View attachment 617006
I’m not 100% sure if this is what you’re asking, but you can just edit the name of each motor configuration. What you see normally is the default that OR inserts.

I’m not 100% sure if this is what you’re asking, but you can just edit the name of each motor configuration. What you see normally is the default that OR inserts.
I have edited the configuration in the sim. I'm looking to edit the configuration in the main motor file so it shows up everywhere, not just for that rocket.

Interesting... I edited the description (or engine code) in Engine Edit for a G138T engine file, loaded it in OR through preferences, selected New Configuration and ran a Flight simulation with it. Everything looked great.

In OR I saved the sim file with All Simulated Data, closed the file, then re-opened it back up to see if the configuration description was still there.

The G138T motor I created (with new config description) was still there in the "Select a rocket motor" screen along with the default version; however in the motor config and simulation tabs, the G138T configuration description had defaulted back to the embedded G138T.

Interesting... I edited the description (or engine code) in Engine Edit for a G138T engine file, loaded it in OR through preferences, selected New Configuration and ran a Flight simulation with it. Everything looked great.

In OR I saved the sim file with All Simulated Data, closed the file, then re-opened it back up to see if the configuration description was still there.

The G138T motor I created (with new config description) was still there in the "Select a rocket motor" screen along with the default version; however in the motor config and simulation tabs, the G138T configuration description had defaulted back to the embedded G138T.
I’m *guessing* it’s because whatever OR uses to distinguish them is unchanged in your file, and when loading it picks the first match. Try making small insignificant changes to other fields.

Back