Help with history of APS 38mm reloadable motor cases

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've come across a case that I can find very little information about – only one post here on TRF that comes up, and almost none anywhere else. It's a 38mm reloadble base that seems to have been made by APS:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/special-hardware-gallery.169781/
The photo of the purple motor case is identified as an "APS 38mm hardware given to me by Jim Scarpine himself". Does anyone have more info about the origins of these cases and company? It would be great to learn more about the background behind the case and company.

Thanks,

Tony

photo of what I believe is an APS case:
purple-case.jpg

That is indeed APS hardware...a 38-3G I believe. APS was a collaboration between Ron Urinsco, Mike Dunkel, Bob Justus, and possibly others. I've flown APS loads, as well as used their hardware for EX. Great stuff...too bad the reloads never came to market!

More info here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/who-remembers-advanced-propulsion-systems.121067/

There's a pdf of the catalog floating around somewhere, and I think I have a paper copy somewhere.

Last edited:
That is indeed APS hardware...a 38-3G I believe. APS was a collaboration between Ron Urinsco, Mike Dunkely, Bob Justus, and possibly others. I've flown APS loads, as well as used their hardware for EX. Great stuff...too bad the reloads never came to market!

More info here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/who-remembers-advanced-propulsion-systems.121067/

There's a pdf of the catalog floating around somewhere, and I think I have a paper copy somewhere.
Wow, that was a great thread and a sad story as well. For whatever reason it did not come up when I was searching for APS, but I'm glad you had a link to it. I've heard of Advanced Propulsion Systems before, but I didn't connect them to APS – D'oh! Now I may have better luck with my searches.

If anyone has more info on how their case design came to be, that would also be great. There is an internal o-ring in the forward closure that I suspect was done to avoid infringement. But that's just a guess. And the threads on the cases are not symmetrical – the forward closure has quite a bit more depth than the read closure.

Tony

internal forward closure o-ring:
purple-case-closure-o-rings.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if the internal o-ring was done to avoid infringing patents, but it seemed an extremely simple arrangement. The delays were cast in thinwall aluminum tubing. Install new greased o-ring, slide delay grain in place. Done.

Closures had acme threads rather than typical 60 degree threads. Acme are stronger, though I don't know if that would be an issue in reality. Motors are (supposed to be) designed to fail on-axis. IMO stronger threads might make it necessary to design in an alternate way to ensure longitudinal failure.

According to the Wayback machine APS had four propellants approved by BATFE but they were not certified by TRA. Going on memory here, I think there was some sort of dispute between APS and the TMT chair at the time.

Thanks for @nraymondb and @prfesser for the link and additional information. After looking over the website, I'd love to have a 'Trust the Thrust' t-shirt.

The Acme threads are certainly easier to clean than the current ones used by AT on their cases. Reading the statement on the Wayback machine on the News webpage, it does sound like things got sideways between APS and TRA.

Yet another company that tried and was unable to make it in the motor business. Lots of challenges. But at least they have some cool hardware left behind.

Tony

Strange, My memory fails me. I don't remember giving that up. Anyhoo, I still have a few loads for it, Including a Spitfire. I think its a 640 case. The forward internal o-ring was indeed to seal the delay grain which as previously mentioned was cast in an aluminum tube. I had a 98/4G APS motor that I sold to someone.....

I've come across a case that I can find very little information about – only one post here on TRF that comes up, and almost none anywhere else. It's a 38mm reloadble base that seems to have been made by APS:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/special-hardware-gallery.169781/
The photo of the purple motor case is identified as an "APS 38mm hardware given to me by Jim Scarpine himself". Does anyone have more info about the origins of these cases and company? It would be great to learn more about the background behind the case and company.

Thanks,

Tony

photo of what I believe is an APS case:
View attachment 607499
Try to PM Nik Byra, I got some APS hardware from him a while back and then he started up XPS which is basically the same as the old APS hardware

APS is a blast from the past for me. I vividly recall seeing large diameter V2 rocket fly at Bong in the late 90's flying on both Spitfire and Redeye loads. The damn red took like 5-6 igniter recycles before it lit. What a trip down memory lane. :)

APS is a blast from the past for me. I vividly recall seeing large diameter V2 rocket fly at Bong in the late 90's flying on both Spitfire and Redeye loads. The damn red took like 5-6 igniter recycles before it lit. What a trip down memory lane. :)
I'm going to try and light a 25+ year old K320 Redeye here soon. They were tough to light when they were fresh.

Cool cases Dab. Either at TLV Springfest or maybe Balls next year.

Latest posts

Back