Moon Shuttle from 2001?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The big soccer ball-shaped spaceship from 2001. Basically a big ball with landing legs. It would have to be made out of foam I would guess. Some dollar stores have party supplies, I wonder if they have a foam ball? Drill a hole through it for a Body Tube, find a balsa nose "cone" and sand off everything that isn't the soccer ball shape, add cardstock for the leg covers, dowels for the landing legs and see if it'll fly.

The big soccer ball-shaped spaceship from 2001. Basically a big ball with landing legs. It would have to be made out of foam I would guess. Some dollar stores have party supplies, I wonder if they have a foam ball? Drill a hole through it for a Body Tube, find a balsa nose "cone" and sand off everything that isn't the soccer ball shape, add cardstock for the leg covers, dowels for the landing legs and see if it'll fly.

Sounds like a fancier version of the Odd'l Rockets Sputnik.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket-Kits/Skill-Level-1-Model-Rocket-Kits/Oddl-Rockets-Sputnik

Craft stores sell foam spheres for flower arrangements and such. The surface is rough and squishy, you'd need to coat it with something.
Also worth checking out toy stores and the internet for plastic balls intended for games.
Or I suppose you could do like the grade school kids do and make it from paper mache using an actual soccer ball as the form.

There are 12" foam balls available. There is also foam primer. The primer needs to be put on real thick. There are also 12" and larger plastic Christmas ornaments that are clear plastic and hollow. I've used both. I have used many foam balls on builds. I used 2 16" plastic bowls to make a round rocket. I have used foam rings to make a ring fin rocket. Anything odd and I have tried it. Some of my early attempts my not be flight worthy though. I didn't know then what I do now.

Back