Monocopter Launch Rack

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all that in place, the coverplate was set in place and screwed down.

input-box-20.jpg

The receptacles for incoming current and signal were wired but those wires had yet to be connected to anything useful.

input-wiring-6.jpg

To keep things straight, each wire was checked with a multimeter for continuity with the ground and then labeled with the pad number.

input-wiring-7.jpg

A terminal connector was then crimped to each of the leads.

input-wiring-8.jpg

For some reason at this point, I decided to drill the holes to mount the terminal posts for the launch leads. To this date, they still aren't mounted but back then I drilled some pilot holes and then the holes for the posts.

terminal-posts-1.jpg

terminal-posts-2.jpg

Each of the power leads was screwed into the appropriate terminal block. At this point I realized I had more problems on my hands. It was very difficult to work with because of the narrowness of the box and how far the receptacle box protruded into it. It would make the next step even more difficult so I halted work on this part while I turned my attention to another phase and considered my options.

input-wiring-9.jpg

input-wiring-10.jpg

Part of my "Master Plan" is to build a series of racks with common features. One of the common features is the ability to hook up "satellite pads" to the rack that would be controlled from the same controller that handles the racks. I decided early on to use 110 plugs for this as well but I wanted to use ungrounded, 2 prong plugs. This was so that when setting up the range, there would never be any doubt as to which plug went where.

2 prong plugs are getting harder and harder to find but I found some.

sat-receptacle-1.jpg

Unfortunately for me, though, every receptacle I could find had the upper and lower outlet on the same circuit. I wanted to isolate them.

sat-receptacle-2.jpg

I hypothesized that if I could cut the brass strip between the screws, I could isolate the circuits. With that in mind, I used a cutoff wheel on a Dremel tool to do just that on each side.

sat-receptacle-3.jpg

sat-receptacle-4.jpg

I then tested my hypothesis with a multimeter to make that that after being cut, the upper and lower plugs were electrically isolated from each other. They were.

sat-receptacle-5.jpg

sat-receptacle-6.jpg

Although cutting the link between the two plugs worked to isolate them, it did present another problem. The piece of brass that was cut was an extension of the brass within the sockets that actually make contact with the prongs of the plug. Being cut led to things flopping around on the inside. Additionally, there was the possibility of the pieces on the side coming back together and making contact. They needed to be kept separate and in one place. My first idea was to use a piece of balsa as an insulating wedge and epoxy it into place. Accordingly, I cut a piece and sanded it down to fit.

sat-receptacle-7.jpg

sat-receptacle-8.jpg

The balsa solution did not work too well. It went into the original cut well enough but had a tendency to crumble as it encountered the geometry just below the cut. I had made a sort of spatula out of folded paper to help guide the things and had the crazy idea that it might work in place of the balsa. It just needed to be folded over an made a bit thicker.

sat-receptacle-9.jpg

sat-receptacle-10.jpg

Even stranger, it worked pretty well. I carefully epoxied the paper wedges in place and when the epoxy had set, cut off the excess.

sat-receptacle-11.jpg

sat-receptacle-12.jpg

sat-receptacle-13.jpg

sat-receptacle-14.jpg

TO house the satellite outlets, I chose the same style of electrical box that I had for the inputs but these were shallower. I wish I had known of their availability before.

sat-box-1.jpg

I removed a knock out in the back of the box to pass the wiring.

sat-box-2.jpg

Some terminals were then crimped to the ends of the wire leads and screwed into place on the receptacle.

sat-wiring-1.jpg

sat-wiring-2.jpg

Most of the launch racks I have in mind for the future will be equipped to handle 2 satellite pads. This is for the simple reason that each cluster of switches handles 8 and the racks have 6 positions. The monocopter rack is different. It only has 5 positions and that leaves me with 3 satellites.

Unfortunately for me, ungrounded singleton receptacles are extremely rare and rare means pricey. I did find one but was unwilling to spend over $20 for it. I settled for a single grounded receptacle rated for a higher amperage.

sat-receptacle-15.jpg

With some resignation, I crimped terminals onto the leads of the single outlet.

sat-wiring-3.jpg

A pair of templates representing single outlet boxes was printed and taped in place on the box.

sat-template-1.jpg

sat-template-2.jpg

Holes were then drilled to receive the mounting hardware.

sat-template-3.jpg

More holes were drilled to start the jigsaw blade...

sat-template-4.jpg

...but they were to small so larger ones were drilled.

sat-template-5.jpg

A jigsaw was then used to cut out the openings.

Please don't fail to wear eye protection.

Also, please don't do this in the kitchen when your wife is not home; she will find metallic sawdust no matter how hard you try to clean up.

sat-template-6.jpg

The satellite boxes were then bolted into place.

sat-box-3.jpg

sat-box-4.jpg

The double outlet was then bolted into place.

sat-box-5.jpg

The gasket was installed and everything was tightened down.

sat-box-6.jpg

The cover plate on the double outlet was then installed.

sat-box-7.jpg

sat-box-8.jpg

The process was then repeated with the single outlet.

sat-box-9.jpg

sat-box-10.jpg

sat-box-11.jpg

sat-box-12.jpg

sat-box-13.jpg

And that pretty much brings this project up to date. Very little other work has been done on it since May.

Also, please don't do this in the kitchen when your wife is not home; she will find metallic sawdust no matter how hard you try to clean up.
A strong permanent magnet can be used to clean up most of the iron "filings".

Art Applewhite

Back