Mongoose 75

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmt56

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Mongoose 75 rocksim file they could share?
I am looking into building my first rocket that can go to over 20k.
As of now I have six flights over 10K on three diffearant rockets.
Two of the flights were to 15K on two differant rockets.
I was hoping a Mongoose 54 would get the job done but my sims are showing around 19k on a CTI L730 & L935.
I will be launching off a rail not out of a tower.
Looks like going from 15k to 20k is going to be a new learing experience and a costly endeavor.
Helpful thoughts and suggestions?

A properly optimized 54MM rocket can definitely go higher than 20,000', I've heard many people go that high with the kestrel, and as tfish said, it wouldn't be that hard to scratch build a MD bird. With rail guides, it might be close. That would be cheaper than a 75MM bird, but the advantage is that the 75MM rocket could go higher, above 30,000' on a mid-size M motor

I'd like to pull off the same with a launch with the right waiver.
I have a Mongoose 54mm and the KestreL. I was thinking using the payload from the KestreL for the Mongoose. I'm sure if you tinker with those 2 kits you be able to hit 20k.

JD

I have a (stock) Mongoose 75 that flew at LDRS 30 to 16K with a 6000Ns motor in very strong winds. It should easily make 20K with a 7600Ns motor. The Mongoose is pretty long and has way too much room inside for the vitals. It could easily be shortened by at least 18" for more performance.

As others have stated, a 54mm MD rocket will cost far less to get to 20K. I just happen to like larger rockets.

I do have .rkt and .ork files for the Mongoose 75, and did a build thread several years ago that's in the TRF Arhive section...

https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=47440

Last edited:
Yeah I'd actually be interested in seeing the sim files for the whole line of Mongeese (Mongooses??). They just look like super cool rockets :)

As far as minimum diameter rockets go, the Mongoose line is actually very heavy.

I have a Mongoose 54, and a friend has a 54mm min diameter rocket built from tubing that we rolled from unidirectional CF. His will outperform mine by a significant margin, due to it being much lighter.

The aluminum tips on the nosecones are all considered "cool" by many, but they add a lot of weight.

-Kevin

A little birdy whispered some time ago to me that Wildman is tinkering with releasing a Blackhawk 54..Carbon fiber minimum diameter just like the BH29 and 38..The 38 goes outta sight on I's!:eyepop: Imagine what a BH54 would do on an L!:eek:

This rocket just won the first to 10,000ft contest. All standard off the shelf G-10 fins & G-10 tubes.

Went 22,753ft on a CTI L-730 at Mach 2.3 with the fins just glued on, no tip to tip or reinforcement of any type. Standard glass Von Karmen NC, no spiral wound. You can build this for 200 bucks with off the shelf parts. Final weight with all the loaded goodies was 3.35 lbs. Fincan 32in payload 11 in.

It flew in 25-30 mph winds at about 6-8 degrees of vertical due to weather cocking. I probably lost 1000-1500 ft due to this. Altimeter was a Raven & Adrian downloaded all the data for accuracy's sake.

Here's how to do it:https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=22533

100_8899.jpg

100_8980.jpg

100_9008.jpg

Jim,

what your NOT saying is you are a heck of a great rocket builder!

I still have no idea what magic banana dust you sprinkled on your fillets to keep those fins on. I spent 6 months building carbon fiber prototypes, and the fins always ripped off until I started doing tip-to-tip CF reinforcement.

In the race to 10k, my kevlar shock cord shredded, and I lost my av-bay at about 35 thousand feet (according to my GPS which was in the nosecone). In fact, I think you are the only participant that recovered their rocket with usable altimeter data.

I think if I (or most people in this forum) bought the same $200 worth of parts, we would have had $200 worth of parts shredded in Argonia.

Alex

This rocket just won the first to 10,000ft contest. All standard off the shelf G-10 fins & G-10 tubes.

Went 22,753ft on a CTI L-730 at Mach 2.3 with the fins just glued on, no tip to tip or reinforcement of any type. Standard glass Von Karmen NC, no spiral wound. You can build this for 200 bucks with off the shelf parts. Final weight with all the loaded goodies was 3.35 lbs. Fincan 32in payload 11 in.

It flew in 25-30 mph winds at about 6-8 degrees of vertical due to weather cocking. I probably lost 1000-1500 ft due to this. Altimeter was a Raven & Adrian downloaded all the data for accuracy's sake.

Here's how to do it:https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=22533

Back