Model Masters paint discontinueing rumor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjennings

Reaction score
Stopped by my LHS yesterday to pick up some paint. (Some Model Master's Acrylics for a scale project.) They had been told that Rust-oleum has decided that model paints are not profitable enough and are killing the Model Master's line, but will keep regular Testor's paints for now.

That sounds disappointing. I know DynaSoar Rocketry recommends Model Masters and Testors for painting depron foam. Of course, painting a test piece of foam in advance is good practice.

I used Model Masters for years, but it got expensive. I switched to Mission Models sold at eRockets.

We always used Tamiya acrylics on the depron foamies, might be worth a look.

+1 on Tamiya, when you want to best, and fastest drying spray-bottle lacquer paint.
Not cheap, however, but really good and easy to work with.
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/browse.php?s=3&t=1&u=0
On larger surface areas (or when I'm being cheap), I fall back onto automotive DupliColor acrylic lacquer aerosol:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00407V5B2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have a bottle of the Tamiya black and it is good paint but man oh man it stinks to high heaven. I was not expecting that from a water-soluble paint.

I haven't tried water Tamiya acrylic in a bottle.
Maybe worth trying for accent colors, to go over Tamiya lacquer base color.

My local Hobby Lobby also has signs up that when current stock is gone that there will be no replenishment.

Afaik all tamiya spray is laquer and no go for depron. [I have used krylon shortcuts in the past, and if they keep making testors that works. Any water based or acrylic with aurbrush works ok too.

QUOTE="aerostadt, post: 2085744, member: 2296"]
Is it spray paint?
[/QUOTE]

Back