MMX Building Supplies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of it comes from eRockets. Ollie-OOP can supply centering rings if you ask, and Rocketship Games has printed MMX and 13mm nosecones. ERockets is the only place I’ve found for nosecones in BT-3 and BT-4 sizes.

One nice thing about MMX is the small size. With the exception of body tubes and nose ones, all my MMX stuff fits in one 6x8 box. Even have some 13mm stuff in there as well.

What are those boxes? I've been looking around for an affordable system like that to orgamanize my building supplies.

What are those boxes? I've been looking around for an affordable system like that to orgamanize my building supplies.
Amazon bead boxes. Can store all your MMX stuff and some of your model rocket stuff. I’ve purchased some larger clear boxes for other model rocket supplies too long or large to fit these boxes. I basically take MMX up through BT-5 (1/2 inch), then run model rockets from BT-5 to BT-80, then high power.1711575561766.png

The value of this approach depends on what you want to do. I’m starting to downscale other rockets to MMX size, so I needed the rings, tubes, etc. If you mostly work from purchased kits, no need to invest in all the stuff. MMX stuff is not abundant—you have to look around at several vendors to gather up your stuff. I just got a mini-lathe so I can work my way into turning some nosecones to either fly or use as masters for resin casting.

I have a ton of hardware for all my other sizes. I am thinking the bead storage box ecosystem will provide satisfactory solutions. I was not aware of it until now. Will also check Walmart, as they have a ton of beading stuff and I've noticed it's often cheaper than Amazon.

ASP is interesting because their nosecones are all for 10.5mm (BT-4), but all their MMX kits are BT-2 size and they don’t offer any of their BT-2 nosecones for sale. They have nice kits with decals, etc. I’ve built the Sandhawk, Hawk missile and Sonda-B kits and I have all the rest in my build box. Another neat thing about ASP is the series approach: you can get the same rocket kit in 2-3 different scale sizes.

The Semroc MMX kits are mostly BT-4 based and Randy does sell the nosecones used in those kits.

ASP is interesting because their nosecones are all for 10.5mm (BT-4), but all their MMX kits are BT-2 size and they don’t offer any of their BT-2 nosecones for sale. They have nice kits with decals, etc. I’ve built the Sandhawk, Hawk missile and Sonda-B kits and I have all the rest in my build box. Another neat thing about ASP is the series approach: you can get the same rocket kit in 2-3 different scale sizes.

The Semroc MMX kits are mostly BT-4 based and Randy does sell the nosecones used in those kits.
Mark,

If you’re interested in the B2 nose cones contact Andy at ASP. he’s always incredibly helpful and if you want to purchase a number of them I’m sure he would make them available to you. ASP is just the best.

ASP's MicroMaxx nosecones are available separately:
https://www.asp-rocketry.com/ecommerce/MicroMaxx-Nose-Cone-LC.cfm?item_id=1338&parent=136&navPanel=

I've gotten a couple and they're nice, same as what's in their kits.

The thing is that ASP's MicroMaxx tube, T-MM, has slightly different nominal dimensions from Balsa Machining's T-2, it's more akin to BM's T2Plus. I don't have any on hand, but I don't think BM's T2 will fit over an MMX motor? Their T2Plus should.

Unless I'm missing something?

Some crazy guy from Indiana bought all my original production of T-MM nosecones... :p

Back