Empty MMX Casings, Anyone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orbitboybob

Reaction score
Hi All - Happy Holidays!!!
It has been years since my last visit here, but I thought I would take a shot and see if anyone could help me out.
I have a project I'm working on that would have use of SPENT MMX motor casings. Nozzle in, nozzle out, not
a real problem, but definitely the later ones made of wound blue paper (MMX-II). They are the perfect size to fit
a normal (Estes Type) launch lug. I'm looking for a total of, maybe, 25?, but any number you could send would be
very much appreciated. I'd be happy to cover your postage, or any fees involved. Yup, dirty old spent casings.
All I ask is you ship them in a zip-lock bag so the crud doesn't spill all over me when I open the envelope.
If anyone can help, is there a way to list my email so I don't have to post it publicly on the Forum???
THANKS for your help in advance!!!
-- OrbitBoyBob

Ask each respondent to send you a PM (aka conversation) and you can respond with your email and/or address.
I may have a few lying around, I'll have to check.
EDIT: I have a box of expended casings, but no MX.

Last edited:
It has been years since my last visit here, but I thought I would take a shot and see if anyone could help me out.
I have a project I'm working on that would have use of SPENT MMX motor casings. Nozzle in, nozzle out, not
a real problem, but definitely the later ones made of wound blue paper (MMX-II). They are the perfect size to fit
a normal (Estes Type) launch lug. I'm looking for a total of, maybe, 25?, but any number you could send would be
very much appreciated. I'd be happy to cover your postage, or any fees involved. Yup, dirty old spent casings.
All I ask is you ship them in a zip-lock bag so the crud doesn't spill all over me when I open the envelope.
If anyone can help, is there a way to list my email so I don't have to post it publicly on the Forum???
-- OrbitBoyBob
i can’t help with the casing, but am intrigued at the project. Care to share details?

Let me look. I may have a few that aren't being saved for anything.

Added later: surprisingly, I can't come up with any right now. I'll have to remember to hang on to a few next time I take some micros out to fly (which might be as soon as Saturday).

Last edited:
-- OrbitBoyBob
This might be a good excuse for me to pick up some of the prebuilt ones, or just fly the Quest Saturn/Space Shuttle I have. I know I have some motors but the last two I used CATOed on me.

BEC --

5 is GREAT!!! Thank YOU!
I'll contact you in a PM with my address.
EVERY little bit counts and adds up!
Thanks Again!

-- OBB

We flew MX today, I have 8 9 spent casings for you. Send me a PM with your mailing address and I will mail it out.

Last edited:
enquiring minds still want to know what presumably non-nefarious purpose you plan for these mighty motor casings!
What I'm more curious about is why the OP still hasn't told us why he wants the MMX casings despite the generosity of several members here.

No response after several days so they're going in the trash.
Funny about that. He got right back to me and the five I had are on the way. But yeah, no idea for what, really....

It looks like he hasn't been on here since the 16th — perhaps before you posted about your nine casings.

I can send you the info if you haven't binned them yet.

WOW!!!
The mail just came, and in it I found 9 MORE MMX motor casings!!!!
THANK YOU Kuririn!
Yes, with the Christmas Holidays upon Us (and my wife not feeling well) it has left me little time to do much of anything else! You guys are GREAT - Thank YOU very much!
All things considered, you all have been pretty patient with my explanation as well. The first hint is that I'm writing an article on MMX and I'll be happy to share when completed. That may be a lot sooner than actual distribution. Truth be told, for 10 years I was the (last) editor of the GSSS Club Newsletter titled: The Launch Rack (LAC Newsletter Award 2016.) A few years back (4 to be exact) I believe I was working on issue #213 when one night, out of the blue, I had a stroke. Two years of rehab later, I'm back doing normal things, a nicer person (that depends who you ask) and am going to give the newsletter a try again, simply because folks have badgered me about it.
So, the article is nearly complete. I would say, give me a week due to family and work, as crazy as that sounds, which I found I couldn't do without.
But - by all means - keep those spent casings coming - I could always use just a few more! So stand by... Thanks to All Once Again! Happy 2024!!!

All --

Can't thank you all enough for all your help!!!!!
As promised, I have the article to send to you all.
But you will have to help me, if I don't upload it properly.
Its size is around 18 megs due to the embedded videos.
Looks like I can attach files here, so I'll give it a try.

Well, didn't work - to large. What is the limit?
Any suggestions on how we pass this around?

Bob

This is the problem I have been having...
No matter what software I use to imbed the video, when someone
else tries to view it - it doesn't work. I've tried 4 or 5 different
video programs all with similar results. I'm going to separate them
all out and upload individually. Maybe you all can still make sense of it....

This is the problem I have been having...
No matter what software I use to imbed the video, when someone
else tries to view it - it doesn't work. I've tried 4 or 5 different
video programs all with similar results. I'm going to separate them
all out and upload individually. Maybe you all can still make sense of it....
I think there is a 5 MB limit per item.
Most of us post to an external site then link it here.
Like You Tube, Vimeo, Goggle docs, whatever.

Last edited:
I attached to the messages - The title shows up but
I don't see the article or videos... Wha?

OK.
Found a few that are the right format and size!
The article is pasted above in the original attachment
positions for reading and viewing.
I hope you all enjoy and I would welcome your
comments and feedback.
Bob

ps Kuririn: You were right about the 5 meg size limit. Live and learn...

That's quite the idea for a way to extend the delay of these things.

But.... I don't see the NE motors on the Quest web site any more. I think I may have four left of the one purchase I made. I would love to try your idea.

That's quite the idea for a way to extend the delay of these things.

But.... I don't see the NE motors on the Quest web site any more. I think I may have four left of the one purchase I made. I would love to try your idea.
I found a pack on JonRocket I think. I don’t know if they’re still there.

Back