3D Printing ABS Motor Mounts and Estes Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCBrust

Reaction score
Has anyone flown Estes motors in printed ABS motor mounts? PETG info would also be helpful since if PETG doesn't warp, then ABS won't. I'm interested in cases where the motor is right up against the mount. I know that I could insulate with a carboard liner but I'm working on a project where I'd like to be able to fly it right off of the printer.

Randy

PETG warps. And even more fun is the ejection charge gases. Wish I'd saved some pics of the damage after a PETG only rocket on a E12, but guess I didn't.

This was PLA.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/what-did-3d-print-today.179898/post-2448695
PETG with the liner seemed to survive ok, at least a new motor fit in. The same effect with the ejection charges though as PLA. Might have to go with like some HighTemp nylon.

Has anyone flown Estes motors in printed ABS motor mounts? PETG info would also be helpful since if PETG doesn't warp, then ABS won't. I'm interested in cases where the motor is right up against the mount. I know that I could insulate with a carboard liner but I'm working on a project where I'd like to be able to fly it right off of the printer.

Randy
I've had several printers that would make excellent blast deflectors.

Back