3D Printing Filament weights

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthMuffin

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I did some trials this weekend printing the same av-bay in different filaments. I printed using the exact same settings for perimeters and infill (basically as little as I thought I could get away with). Used brims on PP and ABS but weights are post-processing with brims removed. Printer was a Prusa Mk3s with .4mm tungsten carbide nozzle and smooth PEI sheet.

PETG (Atomic Filament): 48g
PETG Carbon Fiber (Atomic Filament): 53g
ABS (Prusament): 39g
Polypropylene (3dxtech hyperlite): 31g

I was surprised at the CF-PETG weight.

The PP is a real pain and I couldn't keep it from warping on big flat parts even with PP-specific bed prep and an enclosure. It's tough to glue, and a bit bendy but still good for an av-bay. Upside is very good layer adhesion.
You probably are all familiar with PETG and ABS so I won't go over those pros and cons.
Based on these results I think I'll only bother with PP if I need to save every little gram for some sort of record attempt or contest. PETG will probably be used on normal fun fliers and ABS on ones where weight matters. I'd use ABS all the time if I didn't need to set up the enclosure, use glue on the PEI bed, and manage fumes.

Actually with the increased strength of PETG I bet with some trial and error I could swiss-cheese a part and get it just as light as a PP version and still stay as strong.

I didn't even consider PLA due to heat tolerances, I live and fly in the desert. There are some PLAs I could anneal but that changes dimensions and my sleds usually have exacting tolerances for electronics mounting and a snug fit in the tube.

If anyone has experiences to add with other lightweight filaments, please let me know.

Last edited:
Carbon fiber is much heavier than PETG or other filament materials, so if you printed the bays all the same size the weights are not surprising. The general idea with CF composites is that they are so strong*, you can make parts thinner (and lighter) and still get the strength/stiffness you need. I've not tried a CF-containing filament (though you've piqued my interest!) but I wonder if you could resize your CF part - thinner parts, thinner walls, less infill, for example - and get a suitably strong, but lighter, part?

I have also printed PC and PC Blends with and with CF. CF adds strength so you can print thing parts with less infill. The same part with the same thickness and infill will weigh more, but they need less infill and thickness, so it will weigh less if you change the settings.

Back