Minimum Launch Site Dimensions?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicTrail

Reaction score
I just build my first rocket and fired it off with an A class motor. I was reading the Model Rocket Safety Code and was wondering when it talks about the Minimum Launch Site Dimensions for each motor class does it mean that there needs to be that amount of space on all sides of the rocket or does the field just have to be that big. Ex. For an A class motor do you need 100 feet of space on each side of the rocket totaling to a 200 x 200 ft field or do you need 50 feet of space making it a 100 x 100 ft field?

Thanks.

when it talks about the Minimum Launch Site Dimensions for each motor class does it mean that there needs to be that amount of space on all sides of the rocket or does the field just have to be that big.
It means the field has to be that big. But that does not guarantee that the rocket will recover within that field.
Lots of variables can carry the rocket outside those dimensions.
Wind speed, propensity of the rocket design to windcock, type and size of recovery method, et al.
On a perfectly calm day, 0 wind, and a rocket that flies arrow straight, you can set up in the center of the field.
Adjust for wind drift if there is a breeze blowing by setting up on one side or corner.
Judgment and experience will tell you whether or not to launch.
Some days we don't launch at all. Lost too many rockets over the years.
$$$$$$$$$$$:D

I just build my first rocket and fired it off with an A class motor. I was reading the Model Rocket Safety Code and was wondering when it talks about the Minimum Launch Site Dimensions for each motor class does it mean that there needs to be that amount of space on all sides of the rocket or does the field just have to be that big. Ex. For an A class motor do you need 100 feet of space on each side of the rocket totaling to a 200 x 200 ft field or do you need 50 feet of space making it a 100 x 100 ft field?

Thanks.

https://estesrockets.com/edu-for-the-educator/

Recommended-Launch-Area-graphic.jpg

Minimum is just that - the MINIMUM. Larger is better. No trees or roads on the perimeter is also wise.

Back