Mid Power Rocket for taking video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodRocket

Reaction score
I have purchased an i-Kam Xtreme to use as a rocket video cam. Found it at Gander Mnt for $129. Actually went to look at a different camera to use but it wasn't as small as I remembered and wasn't much less in price and would have been a bear to get mounted to a rocket. This camera is a pair of sunglasses with a video camera built in. One side houses the battery, other side has motherboard with usb and micro SD card slot. Camera lens is right above nose in center of frame. It was easy to remove camera bits from the frame without destroying anything, just a few screws and everything came out easily. Camera lens was sealed in with a bit of what appeared to be hot glue but careful work with an x-acto got the lens free without damage.

Lens measures about 5/16 inch square and ribbon cable to motherboard is about 3 1/2 inches long. Battery and mother board are close to same size at 2 3/4 long 3/4 wide and 1/4 thick battery is connected to motherboard with a 10 inch lead. I would put the weight of the camera parts at 3/4 oz.

This little cam has specs of 736x480 avi 3 mega pixel cmos camera, 550 mAh 5vdc li-poly battery, 25 frames/sec, built in 4 gig memory and micro slot for a max 8 gig micro SD. Also records mono sound. Works with windows 98/Me/Xp/2000/vista/7 or Mac OS 10.6 or higher.

Thinking about using a mid size size rocket like the Aerotech models. This would allow more room to get all the bits in place and not choke down the inside for ejection of parachute. And weight of camera would be a non issue.

My first thoughts were to make a module that could be slid into position inside body tube. Have a small hole that the camera lens could fit through and take a small nose cone and trim it down to make a shield for the lens. Lens view will be with body tube to the side rather than bottom in the video.

Getting the unit in and out of the rocket for video recovery is going to be the challenge. SD card slot faces same direction as usb port on board and push button to start/stop recording is on opposite side of board. Small pin holes will need to be placed to see the various LEDs that indicate recording mode. And a hole will be needed for a pin to push the start/stop button. I saw a couple electronics bays at the past weekends fun fly and have some ideas on how to build the module. Possible taking a few centering rings and build the module with a center open tube for cord and ejection, have two flat panels to mount board and battery, tape cords along a flat on a centering ring. Then only thing would be getting lens through the hole to outside.

I have also thought about having this as an added section to the rocket. The section could be around 4 or 5 inches long. Then I could add this section to other rockets in the future.

Got to pick out and buy the rocket, visit the local shop for the centering rings and parts to build the module.

Not much good with posting pics with my slow internet, but I will try and get a couple when I get further along with the build.

This should be a fun build and hope it turns out well enough to be a frequent flier.

Open to all suggestions and tips or ideas.

See ya,
Rod

Ya should have bought one of these as what you have sounds remarkably similar:
https://www.gearcam.com/gearcam/

Tape it to the side of a rocket or you can pop off the lens and build a shroud to aim backwards. You just need to secure the case in the body tube. You could probably make a similar mounting tube in an airframe out of a body tube and make a plywood sled or something.

Good luck!

Ordered an Aerotech HV ARCAS for this project. While I was at it also picked up an Altimeter Two to add to the cargo.

This model should make it easier to get the camera parts into a section and if I do this right I will be able to separate the section after flight and get to the usb port or remove the SD card and insert another. Then I can look at what is on SD card at a later time. This will make it a more permanent installation and about the only thing that will give away that there is a camera on board will be the nose cone lens shield.

The Altimeter Two will be fun to play with and it records quite a bit of info.

Excited to get started on this project now.

I love the arcas - aerotech's version is awesome. Keep us posted!

Your project sounds like alot of fun and youll get great video! I dont have the time id like to do something like this but i still want to get great video. I have an aerotech mirage and an ipod touch which of course I taped together. For as lame of a set up as this is, it's a quick way to get some cool views! Btw if you are daring enough and have an iphone you could not only call your phone and listen for it but you could also locate it within 10ft of where it lies with another iphone. Therefore you have a camera, beeper, tracking device, and an altimeter even with the right app!

[video=youtube;iQRhD5uekqw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQRhD5uekqw[/video]

I got to watch that video last night during a break and had thought about having a side view like that. Glad you missed the little bit of water there at the landing.It was looking like you were heading right for it.

Should be able to get started on the section this weekend. I might be able to get a lot done before AIRFest but I don't want to rush the project.

I have the kit in my hands and going over the instructions, which were well hidden in a tube, I see that this model separates in the center for ejection and recovery. Are the ejection charges strong enough to make this kit the standard nose cone ejection?

I see an opportunity to use this center separation point as a start to the camera section. This will make for a long shock cord, but a trip to the surplus store this weekend will net me all the cord I can get. The Yard Store in Wichita has parachute cord in bulk in just about any color you want.

Also want to build the motor tube to use a retainer rather than the included hook. Will the cooling mesh still work to protect recovery system? Seems it would be easier to pull it out and clean without the hook and engine block in the way. But wonder how I would keep it from sliding around during launch.

Also the fin can assembly. The added parts of tubing between the fins are just for looks right? I will probably leave those off if they are just scale details and not structural. Not after scale but function with this rocket.

After work stay in Wichita tomorrow will hopefully net me the needed parts to get started.

See ya,
Rod

I have the kit in my hands and going over the instructions, which were well hidden in a tube, I see that this model separates in the center for ejection and recovery. Are the ejection charges strong enough to make this kit the standard nose cone ejection?

This is a valid concern, but why would you not build it as designed? I have one and there is plenty of room in there for the parachute since no recovery wadding is needed. I have Aerotech rockets with 20+ flights and never a singed parachute.

Also want to build the motor tube to use a retainer rather than the included hook. Will the cooling mesh still work to protect recovery system? Seems it would be easier to pull it out and clean without the hook and engine block in the way. But wonder how I would keep it from sliding around during launch.

I see no problem with a retainer. I've never pulled the mesh all the way out. All you really have to do is poke and pull it to dislodge black powder residue and the red ejection caps that sometimes make their way into the mesh.

Also the fin can assembly. The added parts of tubing between the fins are just for looks right? I will probably leave those off if they are just scale details and not structural. Not after scale but function with this rocket.

Correct, that is just for scale effect.

I often launch a stuffed Spiderman doll in mine and let him skydive down on his own 9" parachute. Almost lost him at NYPOWER a couple years back.

good choice leaving out the motor hook and block. My dad did his L1 on an Aerotech Strong Arm without the hook and block in it.

Braden

Sounds a lot like the sunglasses cams they sell on Ebay... don't know what they run offhand, but I doubt it's $129... dunno if these will be a lot better though...

Interesting stuff... good luck with your project!
Later! OL JR :)

Yea, a few weeks earlier and I could have gotten the camera for a lot less but missed out. But it is a neat little camera. Frames were way too small for my big melon.

On the Aeropack retainers, How much motor tube does it need to JB Weld onto? I am going to build the motor tube without the internals and make a cord mount onto the forward ring and go the more traditional HP method that I see used in their builds. Plus lots of cord and plenty of wading won't hurt anything.

Hobby shop didn't have the correct retainer in stock but will get one in with the next order.

The camera section will be just forward of the center coupler in the forward tube. Will be able to slip apart the tubes and get to the camera board to remove SD card fairly easy. Found some foam rubber at the r/c shop to protect the battery and board. Razor sawed a bt-20 nose cone and with a bit of sanding and a short bit of bt-20 will have a really nice lens pod.

A few more bits from the hobby shop next week and assembly should go fairly easy. Got some painting prep to do first so should have that done by then.

Seems like this project keeps evolving as I go. Guess I am hooked into this rocketry thing now.:D

See ya,
Rod

Yet another evolution in the project. Starting to think about making a small window that the camera lens could view through. That would make it even easier to get the unit in and out of the rocket for video recovery.

There was going to be a hole for the lens anyway so why not just have the lens point out through this hole instead of making a permanent lens pod outside.

I have to keep reminding myself as I work that once everything is together it will be upside down in the tube.

Now need to get one more ring to act as a stop when I slide in the cam unit. The last ring will seal against the tube coupler and keep ejection gasses out.

Back to getting some priming and sanding done.

See ya,
Rod

All the camera parts are taped to internal tube section with foam in areas to help support and protect. Lens is double sticky sided taped to a bit of angle balsa, aprox 45* angle. Clean hole in body tube made with a forstner bit and will still have the nose cone shield.

Cam lens will aim out the hole at the angle and has a clear view out. Can still get to start/stop button through same hole as lens.

Will still need the ring to position section inside tube. Idea is the ring will keep camera from sliding forward and bottom tube coupler will keep section from sliding down. Maybe a small notch to keep section from twisting in tube also. Will have 3 or 4 screws with blind nuts inside tube coupler to keep two tubes together through flight.

Only thing that will give away the camera will be the small cone shield and screws. Otherwise it will look normal.

Won't need to turn on camera until ready to slide on launch rod. Added the 8 gig micro SD card so I should have plenty of record time should it take some time to get to the launch.

Hoping the angled down view will be different than looking down the tube or out to the side.

My only problem now is how I will get to post and videos taken. Can barely get photos posted. But will work that out when the time comes. Right now it's finishing and testing.

Thinking about a white body with bright red nose cone and a single red stripe down the side that will also line up with one fin. Can possibly use the ARCAS decals too.

Gotta get busy with some paint now.

See ya,
Rod

Back