Drone Camera on a rocket??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy folks!!
I've got a cheap camera from a very cheap (under $60) drone that was damaged. The Camera plugs into the body of the drone, and it appears that it can take still photos and video depending upon what control signals the drone motherboard sends it but the 3-wire connector appears to carry power and control signals. The batteries in the drone were 3.7v so I assume the camera can operate on 3 to 5v. The 4GB flash card is accessible from the back, so I am also assuming the camera is a complete unit rather than just a CCD in a shell.

Has anybody successfully wired anything like this into a rocket?? I don't want to cut off the connector (especially if there's an existing board available for running this thing), but I imagine if I wired it up to a USB cable to power it, chances are sending the 3rd wire hot as well starts the video.

Attachments

• IMG_5505.JPG
    IMG_5505.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5506.JPG
    IMG_5506.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5507.JPG
    IMG_5507.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 0
IF The MB sends signals to the camera to take either stills or video, then its more than just "hot" to record. It's probably some simple 1 way serial bus. (ie. MB tells camera "take a photo", or "start/stop recording", but it doesn't get confirmation back, that it DID. That would take a 4th wire usually. )

On the other hand if the "stills" are picked from video screen shots later (not in flight), then maybe "hot" to record is all that's needed.

@techrat --

I like it !

Please let us know about your progress as you test this little beauty !

I can kinda-sorta guess at the scale from your photos, but ...

Q1: what are the dimensions of the device ?

Q2: how much does it weigh, more-or-less without a battery ?

Q3: do you have a make and model for the original $60 drone ?

Thanks !

-- kjh

Back