Mid power Honest John

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stantonjtroy

Reaction score
I've decided to build an Honest John with a specific power supply in mind; Specifically the 24mm APCP reload or SU. As a rule most model kits designed for 24mm "D" class motors don't have enough structural integrity to stand up to regular use of say an F-25. Some CAN but aren't designed as such. This rocket is. The nosecone and fins will be cast from a stronger acrylic resin ( mould masters are shown below) and the airframe will be of a slightly heaver grade tube. It's based on a BT-55 heavy cardboard tube giving it a length of around 18" and will have light ply Centering rings (around 1/16" to 1/32") and through the wall fin mounting. Motor retention will be via a metal clip and retaining screw. Should be an awsome performer. If all goes well I may offer it up as a kit. We'll see.

masters.jpg

If all goes well please do. I have been wanting an Honest John but they are all so expensive.

If all goes well please do. I have been wanting an Honest John but they are all so expensive.

That was my thought. I think I could produce it in a limited run (50 or so) for about $30-$40 give or take. I like scale and with the kids, finances (38mm reloads are getting expensive) and places to launch as a consideratioin, I figured the best way to get what I want is to build it myself. I think the only one offering an extensive line of true mid power scale is the Launch Pad and they do strictly military missles and rockets. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that they do but I want Millitary AND sounding/sattelite launch vehicles.
I hope to have a prototype flying within the month budget permitting (Kids got their Christmas list together ) I'll post pics as the work progresses.

Keep us all posted on the progress Stanton, I'm very keen to see how this project of yours turns out. The only in-production 24mm-capable HoJo that I know of is the Madcow M31 HoJo, lalligood did an awesome review of it on EMRR .... even then the Madcow HoJo needs a 29/24mm adapter for 24mm power and isn't cheap at $65.95 although Madcow rockets have always been exceptional in terms of quality.

What do you reckon will be the estimated weight of your HoJo project?

Cheers ...... Pete

See I want to get the one from Mad Cow but the problem is I don't have $65 to spend. Now $30 or 40 I can probably make quick enough.

Please let me know if and when you offer the kits, I am in for one or two. Any room for a 29mm motor mount in your design?

Thanks for the interest. I have to say I'm getting excited about this project. My kids are starting to get involved as well which adds that much more enjoyment.
In answer to some questions:

Motorhead: I'm looking at a launch weight of between 6oz-8oz. That's with an Areotech F24-7 24mm reload. Rocksim has the current configuration hitting a little over 2500' at near Mach. I don't forsee the final config deviating from this too much.

KRS: Current configuration has the body tube, motor tube, fin tabs and centering rings all bonded together forming one load bearing structure. Given the size, weight and mods to the current design needed to accomidate a 29mm mount I'm not really inclined to persue that option at this time. Perhaps a slightly larger version designed around a 29mm mount in the future ( It does sound WAY cool) but for now, first things first. As it stands it should fly like a homesick angel.

Will keep everyone posted as I progress.

Back