METRA Rocket Launch Sunday April 1, 2012 Pine Island, NY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_G

Reaction score
Well folks, winter is over and it's time for the first METRA launch of the 2012 season.

METRA Rocket Launch Sunday April 1, 2012 Pine Island, NY
www.metrarocketclub.org

Sunday will also be our 2012 Equipment Prep and Launch starting @8:00 a.m. This will be a great time to come out and show support for YOUR club and get the 2012 season off to a good start. As an added bonus we will fly after all the work is done.

Please show up by 9:00am and help with prep and setup. Please bring some basic hand tools ,WD40, rags, Scotchbrite pads, gloves and anything else you feel we will need.

Here is the standard information, you know the drill:

Waiver: 12000 AGL
Large wireless HPR launch control system
12 pad LPR launch system
Very large sod farm for recovery
M Impulse limit [ N with prior approval from Prefect ]
INDY format, Commercial and EX flown side by side both days
TRA research pad distances are in effect for ALL EX and HPR flights
Porto lavs onsite
Nadines dogs Food Vendor onsite featuring fresh lemonade
Wildman Connecticut and AMW on site.

The new 2012 membership cards will be available for pick up and if you have not renewed your membership you can do that as well.

WE WILL EMAIL A GO OR NO GO THE FRIDAY BEFORE THE LAUNCH. You can also Check the METRA website after 7:00 PM on Friday, March 30 for a GO / NOGO weather decision

PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE OVER 10 MPH ON THE ACCESS ROAD GOING TO THE FIELD.

Get those projects ready. See you at the field.
Dan

Last edited:
I'm in

Got four planned

• Endeavor - J something
  • Elipse - J something
  • Little Dog - I something
  • Gizmo - I something....or "Something Special" - depends on if I finish it.

I'll be there Sat, Remember the earlier you get there the sooner the prep gets done and the sooner we can fly.

I hope to debut my Stump 6.0 on an I 435
along with a few others I haven't finalized.

Fingers crossed for clear skies and no wind.

JD

We probably will not have the hydraulic Unistrut tower for this first launch. We will try to have a manual Unistrut tower on site. Please keep this in mind if you are planning on bringing a large project.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:
Last year was my first season flying with METRA and it was a blast. I am looking forward to helping get things up and running on Saturday and then maybe getting a few rockets in the air. Fingers crossed for acceptable weather.

I know most of the METRA crew are TRA members, but I'm curious if anyone in the group has the current NAR Level 2 written exam and can administer it? I'm ready to take the exam, and conditions permitting could be ready to fly a Level 2 cert flight too.

Thanks,
Jim Z

99.99% I will be there. Look me up and I will be glad to give you the exam.

Thanks Al! :)

Now all we need is for the silly weather to get its act together and let us get the season off on the right foot.

Jim Z

I will be there on Saturday (weather permitting) to help with the equipment prep, and also renew my membership. I would like to get my Crayon in the air for its first flight.

Bob
TRA6797

Due to the inclement weather prediction for tomorrow we are going to cancel the launch for Saturday. Sunday is looking much better. We are a GO for Sunday.

Dan

Thanks for the update. Watching the forecast for Saturday and seeing how it has deteriorated, it makes sense. Should be a touch milder Sunday too. See you all there Sunday!

Jim Z

The weather wasn't the best but, we made the most of it with the 3,500ft cloud ceiling. I counted about 25 carts or so...
Launching was concluded around 3:05PM due to rain.

I was able to fly my Stump 6.0 twice.
Once on an AT I 435 then again on an EX J 485.
The first flight worked, the second flight had a non-deployment and embedded itself into the soft Black Dirt.
The 6" PML NC is a write off along with 3" of the top of the BT.

I pulled it apart to find: that the wires were pulled from the deployment battery.
The Parrot data should be pretty cool... provided it didn't go into sleep mode.

Fred Taverni had an Awesome 2 stage flight to 3,500ft
4" to 3" J 800 to I 218.
Otherwise a good short day of flying.

JD

Last edited:
Overall wasn't a bad day. Cleanup and set-up went fairly quickly and we got a pretty good number of flights in, especially with only 4 pads out there. My favorite flight of the day was definitely the honest john with the gorilla K....love that motor and Ho Jo's are awesome!

'Grats to the guys that cert'd today too. Thanks always to the guys that keep Metra running smooth, and thanks to the guys for keeping the land for us!!!

Well, despite the clouds, it was a pretty good day. Lots of flights with 2 people certifying level two and one level one. Good job to the three of them and the METRA BOD for putting on a great launch!

A special thank you to Rick Comshaw for administering my Level 2 exam today. I passed! :clap: And while the skies were threatening, winds were almost dead calm a good portion of the day, allowing me to send my Patriot up on a CTI J381 Skidmark for a successful cloud scraping Level 2 cert flight!! :cheers:

Congrats also to my buddy Mickey for successfully certifying Level 2 today with his Super DX3.

Thanks to METRA for getting the launch in today. If you've never flown with METRA you're missing out on flying with a really great group on a great field.

Jim Z

It was my pleasure to do both of the level 2's and the level 1 that was done. I think they found out that I like skids, because they flew J381's and a H123 skid, all CTI

Back