MEGA Mosquito Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What paint is that new silver? Look great!

Krylon Colormaster Covermax- metallic aluminum brilliant- Closest to darn near chrome I have ever used-
Will post a pic am after the last coat in the sun- think nose cone finish- it looks awesome and flashes in the sun- POP :wink:

looks great! I just used a chrome paint for the first time on one of my rockets. but i think i like your color better. thanks for providing the name i will have to give it a try!

looks great! I just used a chrome paint for the first time on one of my rockets. but i think i like your color better. thanks for providing the name i will have to give it a try!

I have tried what seems to be every brand of "chrome" with zero sucess, this is the MOST metallic flash I have ever achieved- Wait for some sunlight light and final finish pics + clear :wink: .
I have already decided the Argent is getting a repaint- the hard part with that bird is that its so tall , rattle can is TOUGH :bangpan:

Chasing your tail- LMAO - the silver and green reflect each other TOO well and it looks like over spray from one color to the other-
Its just the reflection I found after three times trying to fix it and way to much wasted paint :eek: :lol: :lol:
The green fin will get a final finish (ran out) decals /clear and Im done ;)
MM paint progress 7-4-14 002.jpg

Last edited:
I cant find the damn decal - DOOOOOH - Time to call Mark and go waaay off theme once again :D
Plus I think I want a decal and no clear- Im going to have to do a test piece on a scrap to ensure the clear doesnt haze the finish- been there done that.
Thinking like this-
Mosquito graphics 2 SAVE.jpg

color change of course
MOSQUITO IMAGE 5.jpg

MOSQUITO 8.jpg

MOSQUITO SCHEME 3.jpg

Lets hear it ?

Last edited:
I'm liking the last one....best match to your colors I Believe as well.
Looks like his harness wasn't on at ejection. :wink:

Has anyone built one with 29mm motors in mind? I saw a post posing the question, but no follow-ups. If it's been done before, how'd it turn out?

Yes.
Everything seems to fit, but have yet to fly it in this configuration. Still have to add LL's, and primer/paint.

Later!

--Coop

I vote for this one...

attachment.php

Has anyone built one with 29mm motors in mind? I saw a post posing the question, but no follow-ups. If it's been done before, how'd it turn out?

Worked out great glass fins t2t and air frame great on g reloads

Add another vote for the last one.

@Coop: have a build thread up on your Mosquito? I just bought one and was pondering going up to 29mm as well, and was interested on what changes need to be made to make it work.

Add another vote for the last one.

@Coop: have a build thread up on your Mosquito? I just bought one and was pondering going up to 29mm as well, and was interested on what changes need to be made to make it work.
Enlarge the holes in the centering rings. Trim the fin tabs. Obtain a piece of 29 mm tube. I would also replace the chute with a nylon one. If you plan to fly high thrust F and G motors, you may need to reinforce the fins.

Enlarge the holes in the centering rings. Trim the fin tabs. Obtain a piece of 29 mm tube. I would also replace the chute with a nylon one. If you plan to fly high thrust F and G motors, you may need to reinforce the fins.

Now I wish I HAD talked the wife into let me get another on on the 4th of July sale-
Its on my list now FOR SURE -

I will get with Mark am - I liked the last one myself as well to be honest. Could always add a matching thin yellow band around where the NC and BC tube meet-
Just needs a little text with the decal, anyone got something ????
I was thinking - " Bite This " it could actually go on the silver fin in the same green with a yellow outline-
Oh Maaaark ??? lmao

Last edited:
the Madcow mozzie is essentially a beefed up mega mo with a 29mm mmt, or rather the mega is a slimmed down mozzie, whatever. the Estes version flies very nicely E18-4s.
Rex

the Madcow mozzie is essentially a beefed up mega mo with a 29mm mmt, or rather the mega is a slimmed down mozzie, whatever. the Estes version flies very nicely E18-4s.
Rex

Not to get off track- but Rex have you flown the Mozzie- if so , what was your motor of choice ?

I've got a problem with mine, perhaps others are having the same.

The fins are thicker than the fin alignment guide I have can accommodate w/o modification.

I went to Payloadbay to download a guide template, and I get the following message:
  • Fin Thickness must be 0.05 inches or greater

I measured my fins at .0218750" (7/32")

Any help here would be appreciated.

Re: Mozzie
while I don't own one...if you have a 29/24 adapter, an E18-4 should work nicely, otherwise an F22-7 or an F26-6. on a calm day a D12-3. I will however suggest that a 1/4" launch lug(s) be used(or mini rail buttons) instead of the 3/16" that comes with the kit.
@K'tesh
you've got a misplaced decimal, 7/32 = 0.21875"
Rex

Heads up, London...
They're going to be sending something your way again soon! :surprised:

Re: Mozzie
while I don't own one...if you have a 29/24 adapter, an E18-4 should work nicely, otherwise an F22-7 or an F26-6. on a calm day a D12-3. I will however suggest that a 1/4" launch lug(s) be used(or mini rail buttons) instead of the 3/16" that comes with the kit.

Rex

They are both 2.6's built 29mm / used 1/4 lugs-

Latest posts

Back