MEGA Mosquito Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What? Are you SUPPOSED to leave the leading edges of the fins blunt and square? I got the palm orbital sander away from the wife and feathered my edges to a more knife's blade leading edge. Did I do wrong? I haven't found any D12-3 or D12-5 to give it a maiden voyage yet.

No! You did it right. Only lazy bums like myself leave them square and paper the surfaces. Maybe the top 1% will roll their eyes at the square edges, noting they are the bane of the hobby, but the rest of us slackers don't seem to care much and just start digging for a bigger motor to cover up our inadequacy. With good aerodynamics and light & strong construction you might even deploy at apogee on a D12 5! Slice through the air like a knife. Nice and quick your skeeter is!

attachment.php

I’m done assembling mine and am in the process of sealing and sanding the fins, and sealing and sanding and sealing and sanding and sel. . .Well you get the point.
Now for a couple of questions, first; what shade/brand Yellow did you use?
And how is it that this short little rocket with all that fin weight hanging off the back can even be stable?
The CP of this model must be just south of the motor retainer.

I used the Rusto 2X yellow. They've got a couple of different shades of yellow, I don't have the can with me to give you the name.
I went with the brighter yellow, not the lighter pale shade.
Regarding stability, others already gave the best answers.

Got some work done on mine today Hans -
I guess I'm one of those anal fin guys that doesnt mind two day of sanding to get thing the way I want :wink:
The bottom fin is about 80perc ready- mid about 50 and the top raw- to give you an idea . I really like smooth surfaces and leading edges :cheers:
Paper is for guys who cant sand - lol

Fin progress Mosquito.jpg

Last edited:
The wife has convinced me to go with the original colors- even tho I really do like mixing things up do be unique :)
Im liking that Corvette Yellow and a nice slick gloss black- Grim you got any extra paint left :wink:

Last edited:
I like that idea. I may try some red or black electrical tape cut to the same width as the fins on my Mega Skeeter.

I always paint my square fin edges with a contrasting color so that they look like they belong that way....

I love my Mega Skeeter. For it's maiden voyage it flew on a D12-3. Low and slow very nice flight.
Then I got gutsy and flew it on my first reload a E28-4t :y::y::y: Wow what an awesome launch. Recovery was a long walk but well worth it:D

Launch on a D12-3

Launch 5-14 008.jpg

Attachments

• Launch 5-14 007.jpg
    Launch 5-14 007.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 172
I finished up the flight fins on mine today and am about ready to attach them and had a quick question. It seems the fit is nice and snug between the body and the fin root and thats fine- but my concern is getting enough glue on the inside of the rocket to ensure a nice tight bond, make sense ? If I glue the root and slide it in- its gonna wipe the better part of the glue off. Suggestions besides maybe a hypo and drip it in through the slots ? Or am I fine the way Im thinking ?

9iuvb9.jpg

Squirting glue in everywhere, roughing up all potential surfaces, all can't hurt.. There is so little surface area to bond to the TTW doesn't help so much on this design. Do your best the put some big fillets on. The top paper tube layer will eventually give way but just CA it up and fly again. Just flew mine today on an F 24 4 and it was real fun,

I finished up the flight fins on mine today and am about ready to attach them and had a quick question. It seems the fit is nice and snug between the body and the fin root and thats fine- but my concern is getting enough glue on the inside of the rocket to ensure a nice tight bond, make sense ? If I glue the root and slide it in- its gonna wipe the better part of the glue off. Suggestions besides maybe a hypo and drip it in through the slots ? Or am I fine the way Im thinking ?
I would suggest that you put glue on the root edge and let that be enough to glue it to the motor tube. Add glue fillets outside the body tube when it dries and you should be all set.

If you happen to have a time machine handy go back and stop yourself from gluing the rear centering tube in place until after you add all the glue to the fin tabs. See posts #7, #30 and #31 in this thread:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?48421-Estes-Mega-Mosquito-Build-Thread

Last edited:
No! You did it right. Only lazy bums like myself leave them square and paper the surfaces. Maybe the top 1% will roll their eyes at the square edges, noting they are the bane of the hobby, but the rest of us slackers don't seem to care much and just start digging for a bigger motor to cover up our inadequacy. With good aerodynamics and light & strong construction you might even deploy at apogee on a D12 5! Slice through the air like a knife. Nice and quick your skeeter is!

When we had the club launch, June 14th, I scored a three-pack of D12-3 for $15 and got two launches off before time ran out.

Both went extremely well...however, I discovered I had overlooked the D-motor adaptor/spacer ring...and so scorched the bottom of the motor mount after the first launch. With the use of a foot long dowel or so, we were able to poke the expired motor down to get a grip on it and remove it. Then I looked through my leftover parts and found the bright red spacer that should have been placed up the motor mount first, before the motor.

The next flight went just as well...using a handful of dog barf as recovery wadding. I've got one more motor to use, but no where to launch, as it requires a larger rod and a launch system. Probably will be next month before I get to launch it.

Last edited:
Got a little more done on my Mega Mosquito today- this biotch better fly like a dart -lol
The new style body tube and attention to smooth fillets should have her ready for paint very quickly-
Now it comes to colors- I HATE the factory colors as usual -_-

waik46.jpg

334sn5v.jpg

Last edited:
Dez biotches fly like Mac Daddys, not darts. Now on one of the real long CTI 24mm reloads you might get some dart action and some rekit action as well.

You know what I meant- it best fly with no spin - :wink:
I'm looking forward to a low and slow for a change- just need to pick the right motor now, and oh yeah and colors ............

I love my Mega Skeeter. For it's maiden voyage it flew on a D12-3. Low and slow very nice flight.
Then I got gutsy and flew it on my first reload a E28-4t :y::y::y: Wow what an awesome launch. Recovery was a long walk but well worth it:D

Launch on a D12-3

View attachment 174111

Holy Crap, but you appear to launch with people a LOT closer to the launch point than my club does. (Now, I'm not one to judge, cause I'm pretty new to this kind of thing, having only attended two different club launches, and held a few private ones myself.)

That launch of a MEGA Mosquito on a D12-3 (which I've done, too) just looks a bit close to those kids on the left. Or is the camera angle deceiving me?

I know the NAR code for a launch system for low power may be a 15 foot minimum wire to stand back from the launch rod...but I've been known to launch mine with just a 12 foot run of twisted pair due to a lack of other suitable wires and a defective Estes launch kit... but that's another story.

So many of the big boys in our club are launching true missiles... tall, loud and powerful rockets (up to K motors)... that I've kind of accepted that we want to be well back from the control point....to help sight...to make video recordings...snapping pics...or just working on our own rockets... as each person launches their own rocket.

Last edited:
Has anyone built one with 29mm motors in mind? I saw a post posing the question, but no follow-ups. If it's been done before, how'd it turn out?

I would suggest that you put glue on the root edge and let that be enough to glue it to the motor tube. Add glue fillets outside the body tube when it dries and you should be all set.

If you happen to have a time machine handy go back and stop yourself from gluing the rear centering tube in place until after you add all the glue to the fin tabs. See posts #7, #30 and #31 in this thread:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?48421-Estes-Mega-Mosquito-Build-Thread

DOOOOOH :facepalm:

a 29mm wouldn't leave much room for recovery unless you modify the nose cone.
Rex

Has anyone built one with 29mm motors in mind? I saw a post posing the question, but no follow-ups. If it's been done before, how'd it turn out?
Mine is 29 mm. Flew it on an Estes F15-6 for a good flight. Wouldn't trust a H410 though :y:

Holy Crap, but you appear to launch with people a LOT closer to the launch point than my club does. (Now, I'm not one to judge, cause I'm pretty new to this kind of thing, having only attended two different club launches, and held a few private ones myself.)

That launch of a MEGA Mosquito on a D12-3 (which I've done, too) just looks a bit close to those kids on the left. Or is the camera angle deceiving me?

I know the NAR code for a launch system for low power may be a 15 foot minimum wire to stand back from the launch rod...but I've been known to launch mine with just a 12 foot run of twisted pair due to a lack of other suitable wires and a defective Estes launch kit... but that's another story.

So many of the big boys in our club are launching true missiles... tall, loud and powerful rockets (up to K motors)... that I've kind of accepted that we want to be well back from the control point....to help sight...to make video recordings...snapping pics...or just working on our own rockets... as each person launches their own rocket.

I do believe it is the camera angle. The pads (low power) are at least 15 to 20 feet apart

The club I fly with (CMASS) is very safe and would never disregard NAR rules.

Got the nosecone painted on mine between body coats- obviously going a little different on colors.:wink:

2u8z96f.jpg

Now that's a nice color and excellent finish,, Assuming metal flake but what brand?

Last edited:
Very nice color! Does the cone still fit in the tube with the shoulder painted?

No that's a nice color and excellent finish,, Assuming metal flake but what brand?

Testors One Coat lacquer "mystic emerald"
Body tube will be Krylon "Shimmer Metallic" with one fine done in the green- IF I ever get done sanding it to liking :rolleyes:

Body color still gets one more coat/decals and clear- but getting close. I ran out of silver so I opted to do the single green fin I had the paint for and let it sit for a few days and cure- Grouper season opens in less than three hours here and yeah- it can wait........

2ly5zev.jpg

slgoqo.jpg

Sorry for the Hi Jack btw- just figured we didnt need another build thread on the same deal :p

Got the nosecone painted on mine between body coats- obviously going a little different on colors.:wink:

2u8z96f.jpg

Wow -- that metallic green is really something! I'm certain the finished product is going to look great... but I'm wondering if you're planning on adding the black decal over that silver... or the smaller oval on one of the fins? Otherwise, I wonder what the visibility in the air is going to be like? (Maybe I'll try a metallic paint on my next one too! That's a great finish!)

I do believe it is the camera angle. The pads (low power) are at least 15 to 20 feet apart

The club I fly with (CMASS) is very safe and would never disregard NAR rules.

I followed your club name through Bing search and found the club page. Very nice set-up...especially liked the sign-up form for shifts on launch day! I also read through the Launch etiquette FAQs and found it nicely worded. (May steal it for our club too!)

Convinced me that you guys run a safe launch site!

I went with a little different silver than I started with and yeah- I LIKE IT. Actually considering repainting the Argents color to match.
A few boogers in the paint that dont yet meet my standards- but its going to need to sit a few days with the weather we have right now before I get to it-
Im happy with it so far tho- the silver shimmer and the green POP in the sun - it will be VERY easy to see.
And yes Kirk it will have the factory decal on the silver body tube as well as the Estes sticker on the flight fin :wink:
xlmipl.jpg

Latest posts

Back