Mega Max for $500.00???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 10 of them for sale at that price. None of them come with original packaging or decals though. Give me a weeks notice and I can have them made up for you. No paypal, bitcoin only:):)

You can buy the nose cone AND the body tube directly from Estes. A plywood rings and fin kit are available. Stickershock has decals. WHY WHY WHY WHY would you pay someone $500 plus shipping for a kit? The get the damn box it comes in?? I guarantee you can build the entire thing, plus 5 more like it, for the same price.

You can buy the nose cone AND the body tube directly from Estes. A plywood rings and fin kit are available. Stickershock has decals. WHY WHY WHY WHY would you pay someone $500 plus shipping for a kit? The get the damn box it comes in?? I guarantee you can build the entire thing, plus 5 more like it, for the same price.
yeah it makes no sense

My field is on the smaller side so is a 24 inch parachute going to make it decend too fast?

In my opinion, yes a 24" parachute will be too small and the rocket will descend too fast. I think you'll end up with damaged fins with that small of a chute. I've flown my Mega dozens of times with different chutes. I've settled on a nylon (unsure of maker) 44" chute with a pretty large spill hole. It lands on hard ground with no damage.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I always use a Jolly Logic chute release. I think this is pretty important. You need a decent size parachute since the fins take a pretty big beating on landing, and the chute release keeps the drift down with a larger parachute.

Last edited:
Regarding motor choices: I did my L1 cert with an H115DM and have flown it a handful more times with that motor. It makes for really cool flights. When not using that motor, it gets either a G64W or a G76G, both of which are for the 29/40-120 reload case. I use the 4 second delay on the G-motors and it works just about perfectly. I don't remember exactly the delay on the H115, but I think I went with 7 or 8 seconds.

In my opinion, yes a 24" parachute will be too small and the rocket will descend too fast. I think you'll end up with damaged fins with that small of a chute. I've flown my Mega dozens of times with different chutes. I've settled on a nylon (unsure of maker) 44" chute with a pretty large spill hole. It lands on hard ground with no damage.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I always use a Jolly Logic chute release. I think this is pretty important. You need a decent size parachute since the fins take a pretty big beating on landing, and the chute release keeps the drift down with a larger parachute.
Would the PSII 30" parachute work OK. Thats what I heard was recommended as I do not know what the original chute was.

Would the PSII 30" parachute work OK. Thats what I heard was recommended as I do not know what the original chute was.
I've not flown with that small of a chute, so we'll need to see what others say. Are you flying off of a grassy field, or is it hard packed dirt? That will make a pretty big difference too.

EDIT: Antares JS replied as I was typing. Sounds like that size is good to go!

I've not flown with that small of a chute, so we'll need to see what others say. Are you flying off of a grassy field, or is it hard packed dirt? That will make a pretty big difference too.

EDIT: Antares JS replied as I was typing. Sounds like that size is good to go!
very grassy, I flew my saturn v and one [parachute didn't deploy, no damage whatsoever. I went last weekend and the grass was like a foot long.

And is the rocketry works shock cord mount good and can i use epoxy for the kevlar instead of the fire protection tube thing? (Not sure what its called)

Their shock cord mount looked good enough for me, but I did cover it entirely with epoxy.

In regards to the second part of your question, I'm not really sure what you're getting at, but I used a Kevlar 1/4 inch flat shock cord that I got from LOC Precision.

Their shock cord mount looked good enough for me, but I did cover it entirely with epoxy.

In regards to the second part of your question, I'm not really sure what you're getting at, but I used a Kevlar 1/4 inch flat shock cord that I got from LOC Precision.
Oh i got 12 feet of kevlar shock cord according to rocketryworks

I am not sure I would get too bent out of shape. If someone buys it, a fool is out of some money.

Hmmmm, except for the nosecone (I hate making nosecones) I could make a 4" clone with electronic apogee deploy, parachute, and J-impulse motor reload for under $25. Not sure what Sticker Shock would charge for the graphics though I've seen others use a different paint scheme. I'd have to run a sim to see if it will fly with a L-impulse motor without much modification but would still be under $25.

Super rich people wouldn't bat an eye paying $500 for something already built for a present to someone and would not be worth their time looking for 'better deals'. Just think about those who pay millions for old paintings.

Back