Mega Max for $500.00???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coopwyo

Reaction score
There is a Mega Der Red Max on ebay asking $500.00. Is that anywhere close to a fair price for that rocket? Are they that rare?

What constitutes a "fair price" is completely subjective. While I assume you don't consider that a fair price, someone else might be happy to pay that.

That said, I would not pay $500 for it if the end goal is to build and fly a 4" Der Red Max. You can easily buy all the parts to clone one for maybe $100 at most. I would think someone willing to pay that much would be a collector who specifically wants the original Estes kit.

Not a fair price unless you absolutely must have the original Estes kit. You could probably source the parts, or reasonably close alternatives, for a small fraction of that.

Rocketry Works Fin Upgrade - $39 (better hurry, they're closing.)

Estes Nosecone and body tube - $33

Plus chute, retainer, shock cord..

If you have to have an original, they're on eBay for $200 or less.

The one in question has been discussed here before, and it's either a form of money laundering or just hoping that stupid people will bid on it.

Rocketry Works Fin Upgrade - $39 (better hurry, they're closing.)

Estes Nosecone and body tube - $33

Plus chute, retainer, shock cord..

If you have to have an original, they're on eBay for $200 or less.

The one in question has been discussed here before, and it's either a form of money laundering or just hoping that stupid people will bid on it.
where can you buy the chute and what size?

and i dont think the discount from launch lab is applying cause the fins, shock cord, and motor tube are still 40 something dollars

Understandable. Keep your eyes on the Yard Sale section of the forum for used gear.

Also remember that you can swap chutes between rockets assuming the size is acceptable.

Understandable. Keep your eyes on the Yard Sale section of the forum for used gear.

Also remember that you can swap chutes between rockets assuming the size is acceptable.
Yeah, i might just grab the 24 in nylon chute. And if i do try to make clone im going to get the Rocketry Works Fin upgrade set for the fins and centering rings with kevlar shock cord and a 3d printed mount. From estes im getting the 4" slotted body tube and nose cone (Obviously) and the nylon chute. My field is on the smaller side so is a 24 inch parachute going to make it decend too fast?

Yeah, i might just grab the 24 in nylon chute. And if i do try to make clone im going to get the Rocketry Works Fin upgrade set for the fins and centering rings with kevlar shock cord and a 3d printed mount. From estes im getting the 4" slotted body tube and nose cone (Obviously) and the nylon chute. My field is on the smaller side so is a 24 inch parachute going to make it decend too fast?
with the motor tube

@bad_idea Oh I have every single rocketry related receipt...

I'm just scared to look at them.

(On a serious note, I've known guys that whittle things down to cost per use.. calculating the cost of razor blades and whatnot, guys who wear a Rolex and complain that it doesn't keep time, and guys that ride Harleys and whine about having to buy premium fuel.. my personal belief is, if you're going to have a hobby then just go hog wild.)

P. S. Rockets are a mere pittance compared to guitars, guns, motorbikes, etc.

Have fun!

order the vinyl decals from Stickershock23.com

Many of the prices on eBay are highly inflated. But, then again, an idiot and their cash will soon be parted.

Take a good look at how far the motor tube sticks up into the body before you glue everything up.. I had to take mine apart and cut it off to make room for the chute.

Back