March LPR Best Rocket Competition - Open

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Sorry for the tardiness:eek:. My internet connection went bonkers yesterday afternoon..But here it is! :)

Please go visit our sponsor this month, Hot Rod Rocket Shop, I am sure you will find something there that you want to get! :) Now, on to the contest, and remember this is the LPR contest..;)

This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!). The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!).
4. Please no extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
5A. Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
5b. If proof of a successful flight is documented and the rocket suffers a loss in a subsequent flight, it is still eligible for consideration and will be judged in the 'prior to loss' state.
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Theme
Theme for this month is 'OPEN' so anything goes!

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Prize this month from our awesome sponsor Hot Rod Rocket Shop is a 'Graft Bag o' Goodies' valued in excess of $30.00!

So, let's get those entries in!

Last edited:
LPR Custom MIG-25 Foxbat Jet Fighter Rocket.
Based on the Centuri Fighter Fleet and borrowed Estes F-15 Screaming Eagle.
The MiG is D/E powered. It's heavy, it weighs almost 4 oz.(120grams)
18 inch chute provides recovery.
14.75" BT-55 body and with nose cone, it is 19" long with 3/32 medium hard balsa for fins.
I enlarged an Estes Strike Eagle for the engine pods.
So far only one flight but it was a good one!

Link to build.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=12181

Link to flight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_hFFkJ7ObI

Ok, Three times a charm!
I came in second place last month.
Third place in January.
Maybe......:rolleyes:

MIG-25 JetRocket2.jpg

MIG-25 JetRocket3.jpg

MIG-25 JetRocket4.jpg

MIG-25 JetRocket1.jpg

MIG-25 Jet Rocket.jpg

Last edited:
It was winter and my girls and I hadn’t flown or built any rockets in a while, and my wife jokingly tells my daughters that they need to build a bedazzled rocket. They thought that was a great idea, and my oldest daughter came to me with a sketch. I had some BT56 tubing and an 18 mm motor mount for the tubing and figured I’d give it a go for her.

I cut off the point of a nose cone for the boat tail. I used epoxy to attach the fins to the boat tail, since it was balsa to plastic. My daughter helped with the painting and decorating.

Its first flight on an A8-3 was unsuccessful, with deployment very late and two broken fins. It was an easy repair and the second flight on a B4-2 was great. Look closely at the nose and orientation of the body at the end of the video. This baby literally stuck the landing.

The first image is naked after the build, the second is post paint/pre-flowerized in between my first two MPR builds, and the third is the finished bird on the pad. At the risk of losing my man card, my entry is the scratch built Flower Power designed by my daughter, Reilly.

[YOUTUBE]46kDzs2ebjQ[/YOUTUBE]

FP2.jpg

FP3.jpg

fp1.jpg

Last edited:
This is Hermes. It was scratch-built before TRF existed; in fact, it was probably built before most web-based forums, in 1997. Originally intended to launch a parachuting teddy bear, which it has done on several occasions, Hermes has carried various other payloads, including an egg (live on TV), a folding wing glider and a T-shirt.

Depending on weather, field size and payload, Hermes can fly on a D12-5, two C6-5's, or all of the above. Recovery is by 18" parachute assisted by a piston which also helps to eject flying cargoes such as the bear or glider.

The first photo shows Hermes in original configuration. The second shows it with an additional payload bay. The rest show it in action in October 2010.

hermes.jpg

hermes2.jpg

46hermes_launch_small.jpg

47hermes_sky1_small.jpg

50hermes_chute_small.jpg

Get your entries in! Entry period to close tomorrow night(3/21) at midnight EDT(or when I get home from work, whichever is later)! :wink:

There are some fine entries now, but I know there are more out there! So let's see some rockets! :rant::cool:

DING DING! Entry period is officially closed! Poll to be posted shortly!

Thanks to all who entered, and good luck! :)

Back