magnetic apogee detection?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Lindsey

Reaction score
I've heard magnetic apogee detection mentioned several times, but i've not seen a device that does this. Does anyone market such a device? If not, does anyone know what chip is used for the detection?

thanks,
Rick

I own and use the Transolve model and it works beautifully. The Transolve stuff don't look fancy but it always works for me. (Altimeters too.)

I have no personal knowledge on MAD devices but I have read (may be true, may not... I don't know) that they can be effected by the launch rod or mass changes in the land (large iron deposits, etc).

For those reasons I've steered clear of them and use either baro or accel based syatems.

-Aaron

Yes, Aerocon sells a kit for magnetic apogee detection.

The most popular chip used for detection is the KMZ51, available from Digi-Key. For a long time, this part was unobtainium in the USA. A skilled google searcher should be able to find such reports. There is also another chip sold by a different company that is sensitive enough for this application, but it is so much more expensive that I don't remember it. Digi-Key may still have it.

I've heard magnetic apogee detection mentioned several times, but i've not seen a device that does this. Does anyone market such a device? If not, does anyone know what chip is used for the detection?

thanks,
Rick

Google Robert Galejs Dr., Professor at MIT. He developed the MAD.

Heada, it would take a pretty big iron ore deposit to screw it up, but an unstable rocket off the rod....:cry:

Oi, for $95 i'd just get an altimeter. the $30 kit might be worth looking into though. thanks!

-Rick

Rocket taking off next to a 1/2 inch steel rod and then suddenly it not being there might throw it off. Thats what most of the reports I've read have talked about. Like I said, I have no personal knowledge and can only comment on what I've read (I don't recall where or when) It may work perfectly every time, I have no idea. For $80 you can get a HiAlt45 that does dual deployment.

-Aaron

I have one of the original kits I got from Robert and I've used it a few times with no problems. All the flights were off an aluminum rail, and it worked perfectly. I bought it back when I got my first hybrid and I wasn't flying dual deploy yet.

Back