OpenRocket or Rocksim file for Estes Green Eggs?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a Rocksim or OpenRocket file for the Estes Green Eggs rocket? I've been to Apogee, RocketReviews, and of course, Google, but no luck.

Thanks!

7301_GreenEggs_BagRocket_2048x2048.png

If you have the kit already, then it's a relatively simple process to measure the components and create your own sim file in OR or RS. Even if you don't have the kit, you can measure and scale the dimensions from the kit specs and contents image on the Estes link https://estesrockets.com/products/green-eggs?_pos=2&_sid=518206eca&_ss=r.

If you do have the kit, make sure you weigh all the components. You can then use accurate masses in the sim file.

green_eggs_1.png

Last edited:
In most cases the file you obtain from elsewhere is not guaranteed to be accurate anyway; for a simple rocket like that you're best off creating one yourself. Using the Simple Model Rocket example as a starting point might be helpful, and then just modify it as needed.

For this rocket, adding the payload section is the most significant thing you'll need to do, but it's pretty straightforward.

@RocketDoc I've done one. Here it is. It's proven to be fairly accurate with actual flight data. Pay attention to what's in the payload section and adjust to suit your own use. But this one isn't hard to do if you have the kit in hand and can weigh/measure parts, as @neil_w noted.

@K'Tesh Jim, what scans do you need?

Attachments

• Green_Eggs.ork
    678.3 KB · Views: 8
Hi @BEC, Decals, and fins (with a ruler)...

Can I presume you measured the shock cord?
OK, can do. Have another kit open right now as my second Green Eggs flyer (the one that furnished the data for the sim) is pretty battered.

I will double-check the shock cord info, but what's in the .ork looks plausible.

@RocketDoc note that there is also a baffle in my simulation that is not part of the Estes kit. You'll either need to take it out or, better, contact David Qualman at qualmanrocketry.com and buy one. :)

OK, can do. Have another kit open right now as my second Green Eggs flyer (the one that furnished the data for the sim) is pretty battered.

I will double-check the shock cord info, but what's in the .ork looks plausible.

@RocketDoc note that there is also a baffle in my simulation that is not part of the Estes kit. You'll either need to take it out or, better, contact David Qualman at qualmanrocketry.com and buy one. :)
Don't worry about the shock cord... the part number, and your measurement matches the Olympus' that I've already simmed up. I'm converting the Olympus sim into the Green Eggs (why re-invent the wheel?).

I'd like to confirm the thickness of the balsa... The Olympus' was 3/32 in thick.

Don't worry about the shock cord... the part number, and your measurement matches the Olympus' that I've already simmed up. I'm converting the Olympus sim into the Green Eggs (why re-invent the wheel?).

I'd like to confirm the thickness of the balsa... The Olympus' was 3/32 in thick.
I started to set up to do the scan but looked on the computer first and found I've already done them — twice. Once earlier this year and once about four years ago. Both attached.

And yes, the fins are 3/32 inch thick, though the first one I built had generous thickness (and nice hard) fins. Too bad the lower 9 inches or so of that one was essentially obliterated by a D12 CATO.

Since the plastic parts are common (save for color) to Olympus and Green Eggs, it makes sense to start there. I think I did it the other way around when I was deciding what to fly for Precision Fragile Payload for NARAM-64. Turns out the Olympus, on a Q-Jet E, is just about right. I'll probably just reuse the model at NARAM-65 if we go.

Attachments

• Green_Eggs_parts.pdf
    720.2 KB · Views: 0
  • GreenEggs_fins_rings_decal.pdf
    464.9 KB · Views: 0
The sim is mostly done... I need to know the OD and thickness of the Black engine hook retaining ring (PN 0394880) to finish it up.

1695836906428.png

The sim is mostly done... I need to know the OD and thickness of the Black engine hook retaining ring (PN 0394880) to finish it up.

View attachment 606525
1.032 in. OD, 0.023 in wall thickness.

This ring is used in a number of Estes 24mm powered kits I think (Vagabond, QCC Explorer, Solar Warrior come to mind as possibles). I'm kind of surprised you didn't already have it.

1.032 in. OD, 0.023 in wall thickness.

This ring is used in a number of Estes 24mm powered kits I think (Vagabond, QCC Explorer, Solar Warrior come to mind as possibles). I'm kind of surprised you didn't already have it.
Thanks!

It was nearly 3am when I was working on this... brain no work so good. ;)

Back