MAD COW Kits...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just wanted to say that I recently purchased a couple MADCOW kits and I really like them a lot! All the parts and materials used in the kits are of the best quality and they all fit perfectly. If you haven't built one yet all I can say is you won't be disappointed. In a nutshell I'm hooked!

Mike thanks again for the exceptional service and quality kits you offer!

May you have a prosperous New Year!!!

I just wanted to say that I recently purchased a couple MADCOW kits and I really like them a lot! All the parts and materials used in the kits are of the best quality and they all fit perfectly. If you haven't built one yet all I can say is you won't be disappointed. In a nutshell I'm hooked!

Mike thanks again for the exceptional service and quality kits you offer!

May you have a prosperous New Year!!!

They are high quality. I have been hooked for a while. I would like to see them do a v2.

I agree. I have 5 in my build pile -- guess I need to pull one out and start it!

Good to hear. I was thinking of getting a kit or two from them soon.

I'm always a bit surprised as what constitutes a "kit".

Did you MC kits come with a heat-resistant tether for the recovery harness? I'm pretty sure the one that came with my Sea Wolf is nylon - I've got a 500' roll that looks practically identical. It burns/melts pretty easily, so I subbed a kevlar cord from the engine mount to a point a few inches past the body tube lip and added a quick link for the nylon.

Not understanding this comment... Every kit I have gotten from Madcow has all parts including recovery, hardware and instructions... What more do you want?

Did you MC kits come with a heat-resistant tether for the recovery harness? I'm pretty sure the one that came with my Sea Wolf is nylon - I've got a 500' roll that looks practically identical. It burns/melts pretty easily, so I subbed a kevlar cord from the engine mount to a point a few inches past the body tube lip and added a quick link for the nylon.

90% of my builds use tubular nylon including 70 to 80 lb. M/N flyers. Nylon works very well with some stretch and give you that don't get with Kevlar (much more forgiving--I prefer this). Nylon has pretty good life also, but if you have recovery charges too close to the bulkhead terminations, just use Nomex shock cord protectors.

Last edited:
Sorry, I had a long diatribe I cut (very short).

The Sea Wolf had nice, sturdy components (they use open eyes, though I haven't had one unwind on me yet). The instructions were acceptable, if sparse on illustrations. There was no chute. There is no provision for motor retention (just a clip and t-nut would have been nice). Compared to the 3" PML AMRAAM, or a Wildman Blackhawk 29, it was a bit light; compared to the Black Friday WM 5" Jart, it's very complete.

IMHO a "complete" kit should include an appropriate chute, motor retention, necessary fireproofing for components which aren't protected by dog-barf, and (for scale or sport/scale) a decal sheet and (color) labeled illustration of the completed rocket (in addition to all airframe parts and internal hardware and harness). Pre-beveling the fins would have been nice, but not as necessary as on a fiberglass kit.

Last edited:

I know some of his kits the recovery blanket and chute are optional. I guess this allows Mike to keep the prices down, but for me I already have several different chutes that I can easily swap out between rockets. I'm not into collecting chutes.

Last edited:
IMHO a "complete" kit should include an appropriate chute, motor retention, necessary fireproofing for components which aren't protected by dog-barf, and (for scale or sport/scale) a decal sheet and (color) labeled illustration of the completed rocket (in addition to all airframe parts and internal hardware and harness). Pre-beveling the fins would have been nice, but not as necessary as on a fiberglass kit.

I have to side with Madcow on this one. I like the option whether to buy the chute and protector with the kit, as I already have far more recovery devices than I have rockets and don't necessarily want to have t pay for more. The website is clear about the kits not coming with these extras.

I pretty much build scale kits and good decals are a nice bonus, but a good decal sheet can be very expensive and would add significant cost to the kit. Check out Stickershock23...you'll be hooked! They have great product and even better service.

I definitely wouldn't want beveled wooden fins, as I do my best to shape them to actual scale. I tend to agree with you on the G10 fins, though...I have not mastered a reliable method for cutting consistent bevels on them. I would pay more for that feature!

Regarding accurate depictions of the markings on scale rockets, I highly recommend you pick up a copy of Peter Alway's "Rockets of The World". I don't start a scale project without first referencing it.

I currently have 5 Madcow kits in my build pile and the quality and value are excellent, in my opinion. They have a nice line of scale kits and I'm very much looking forward to seeing that line expand even more in the future!

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I have only built 1 Madcow kit so far, but I found the components to fit very well right from the bag. I like that you have the option to get the kit cheaper without the recovery gear. Allows me to choose what I want. For example I got a Bomarc this year. That is a way cool model which 'requires' a way cool X-form chute IMHO, not a run of the mill round one. While I dont have a large collection of chutes yet, I do already have a round 36 & 48 inch, and a 42inch(?) x-form to use. I will be purchasing a 60" shortly. I can swap those from ship to ship, until one get caught by a tree or the gods.
As for the shock cord, I have a supply of kevlar and am shopping for a spool of tube nylon. This will allow me to build as I see fit.

Yes there are more "complete" kits out there, but they also generally have a larger price tag. By the time I purchase the extras for a Madcow kit, I may have spent the same or more, but I will have the items that I choose.

Build it the way YOU want it!

Terry

I have only built 1 Madcow kit so far, but I found the components to fit very well right from the bag. I like that you have the option to get the kit cheaper without the recovery gear. Allows me to choose what I want. For example I got a Bomarc this year. That is a way cool model which 'requires' a way cool X-form chute IMHO, not a run of the mill round one. While I dont have a large collection of chutes yet, I do already have a round 36 & 48 inch, and a 42inch(?) x-form to use. I will be purchasing a 60" shortly. I can swap those from ship to ship, until one get caught by a tree or the gods.
As for the shock cord, I have a supply of kevlar and am shopping for a spool of tube nylon. This will allow me to build as I see fit.

Yes there are more "complete" kits out there, but they also generally have a larger price tag. By the time I purchase the extras for a Madcow kit, I may have spent the same or more, but I will have the items that I choose.

Build it the way YOU want it!

Terry

BOMARC is a really cool kit. X Chutes look cool, but I also like Fruity Chutes.

BOMARC is a really cool kit.

That one's on my short list - I love rockets with fins. And based on the quality of the parts in the Sea Wolf I'm looking forward to emptying my build box so I can order one (a prerequisite to purchasing another kit at the moment).

Nothing taken away from the good quality and sturdy parts. I knew the SW didn't have a chute, and it's not a big deal - I have several. When compared to an Aerotech or PML kit of equivalent price, a newly-minted HPR fan should know that a stock Madcow kit not as complete as the entry HPR kits they may have built in the past. Not as Spartan as getting a Wildman BF special, though!

Back