Mad Cow Frenzy 4"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neond7

Sky Pirate
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I still have a LOC Phantom 438 EXL in the box waiting to be built, but I just ordered a Mad Cow Frenzy. Has anyone built one of these yet? I've only seen one build thread out there on this kit. I had to purchase it directly from Mad Cow, none of the other vendors seem to carry this kit.

Of course I ordered the Aeropack 54mm motor retainer with it. :) I also ordered an extra 1" body tube section they sell as a switch band, but I have other ideas for it. I'll slice out a small section to reduce its diameter. After I slide in the assembled motor tube, I'll epoxy it behind the aft centering ring to help reinforce the rear for hard landings. Might have to cut the length down a bit if I can't get the full 1" section to fit all the way in. Hopefully it will, that will guarantee there isn't any motor retainer sticking out the back - makes it easier to stand on its rear for vertical storage. I wish I had done something similar to this when I built my G-Force. Its holding up very well, but its taken repeated hard landings on the tail and this will be a heavier rocket. I've seen a few people do this, so I'll do it right the first time.

This rocket is dual deploy capable, but I plan on flying it motor ejection for awhile. With that in mind, I'll use removable nylon push rivets to connect the upper payload section to the coupler and more rivets for the nose cone. That way I can easily install an av-bay if I want to later.

So, if anyone has built this kit already, I would LOVE to see some build pictures and also completed pics. Also, any build tips would be great if you had to work around any problems. Sometimes the included instructions are more like "suggestions"......

Jeff,
I've been building this kit currently. I started to take construction photos, but stopped when I followed the instructions with the kit instead of how I meant to build it. What I mean by that is that I epoxied on the rear centering ring as part of the motor-tube assembly instead of leaving it off so that I could do the epoxy fillets where the fins attach to the motor-tube. Once that happened I no longer wanted to document the build.

It is actually coming along nicely and I'm pretty pleased with it. I used the included coupler to make an ebay. I cut out three additional bulk heads to seal off the top and bottom of the coupler. I'm going to cut a 1" section off of the upper tube and glue it in the center of the coupler. This will leave about 3 1/2" of coupler to join the two sections.

If you're interested, I could take a few photos of this and post them.

Chuck, a pic or two of the back end would be good. Does it look like the aft centering ring can be installed at least 1" into the the body tube?

I downloaded the instructions off the of the Mad Cow site, but they don't show how far forward it can go without interfering with the rear set of fins.

One more thing, how much nose weight did you add (if any)? The instructions hinted that at least some would be necessary. My thought is that with the length of the rocket combined with all those fins, the CP would be pretty far back already.

So when do you think you will have yours complete and flying? I'm thinking of building this one next and building the LOC Phantom later. I'm seriously digging the look of the fins on the Frenzy...... Not looking forward to all the sanding, of course. But its nice to have a finished product to admire!

I built the XL version (all fiberglass)

It is Quickly becoming my favorite rocket. I flew it last weekend on a CTI L851 WT

Came in from 10,000 feet, on a drogue only (I singed my main and it came out but stayed rolled up)

Nota scratch on the thing.

I think the cardboard one should be really fun. The all glass one is incredible.. but a little expensive to fly, I might have to add a cardboard one to my fleet soon.

I built the XL version (all fiberglass)

It is Quickly becoming my favorite rocket. I flew it last weekend on a CTI L851 WT

I think the cardboard one should be really fun. The all glass one is incredible.. but a little expensive to fly, I might have to add a cardboard one to my fleet soon.

I do wish they gave the option to choose either 38mm or 54mm motor tubes, its such a light rocket (5 lbs) I'll probably only use 38mm motors in it. Unless I add dual deploy, but even then, 38mm can still get me to 5K. Here in Florida our available fields aren't that great for going really high. I'm not a big fan of high altitude, I just enjoy the loud, smoky launches. Louder the better! Low, slow, and loud beats a rocket at 10K that you can't even see. My opinion of course, no ding to you minimum diameter fans!!

Chuck, a pic or two of the back end would be good. Does it look like the aft centering ring can be installed at least 1" into the the body tube?

No picture yet but I did measure. My aft centering ring is a full 1" from the end of the body tube. Also, the rear fin is a good 2" from the bottom of the body tube. I'll try to post a pic or two later.

One more thing, how much nose weight did you add (if any)? The instructions hinted that at least some would be necessary. My thought is that with the length of the rocket combined with all those fins, the CP would be pretty far back already.

I have not completed the build yet so I have not done any calculations on nose weight. I usually wait until all the construciton is complete before I do that.

So when do you think you will have yours complete and flying? I'm thinking of building this one next and building the LOC Phantom later. I'm seriously digging the look of the fins on the Frenzy...... Not looking forward to all the sanding, of course. But its nice to have a finished product to admire!

I'm hoping to have it ready to launch at the OROC Desert Heat launch in July. I'm pretty certain I'll make it.

Does anyone know if blue tube works with Mad Cow body tubes? Although I was unsure if I was going to dual deploy this kit, I had a thought - I could replace the included coupler with a blue tube ebay and just use it as a coupler for now with motor ejection. I could attach the upper payload section with nylon push rivets. That way, if I decided to go dual deploy later, I just add the electronics to the existing bay and mount some blast caps to the tops of the bulkheads.
I looked at the blue tube ebays on apogeerockets.com and they list compatibility with 98mm blue tubes and LOC tubes. Not sure how they would work with Mad Cow tubes, anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

I was looking at buying this one today, if you guys have an pics that would be great, plan on a straight forward build, but if anyone has any suggestions that is always a good thing here!!

The scouts and I are planning on building one and flying it in August.

Alex

Definitely have sold me on getting some vinyl!! LOL

Thanks for the link!

That rocket looks great! I miss my frenzy....
Thank you for the nice complement.

I went and looked up your tail of woe with the Frenzy. I'm sorry to learn of such a sad fate for such a nice rocket. You have my condolences.
-Chuck

I went and looked up your tail of woe with the Frenzy. I'm sorry to learn of such a sad fate for such a nice rocket. You have my condolences.
-Chuck

Thanks for the condolences. I'm sure that from the ashes (or is it wet cardboard) there will be a resurrection of some kind.

Got my Frenzy off the ground twice this past Sunday. First flight on an AT I300T to 1471 ft. Second flight on a CTI J330 took it to 3512 ft.

Frenzy03.jpg Frenzy04.jpg

Got my Frenzy off the ground twice this past Sunday. First flight on an AT I300T to 1471 ft. Second flight on a CTI J330 took it to 3512 ft.

View attachment 99276 View attachment 99277

Looks great!!! Mine is still in the box....... :-( I still have a few rockets in the build pile ahead of it, and the blue tube av-bay I had bought for it was used on another project, so it will be awhile before I get mine built and flying.

I'm VERY jealous of your wide open launching area. I have to drive 2 hours to get to a big field, and even then, its doesn't look as big as that nice flat farmland.

Did you happen to get any video of the flight? And did you use any nose weight? Did you upgrade the parachute or is that the stock parachute??

I'm VERY jealous of your wide open launching area. I have to drive 2 hours to get to a big field, and even then, its doesn't look as big as that nice flat farmland.

Did you happen to get any video of the flight? And did you use any nose weight? Did you upgrade the parachute or is that the stock parachute??

I have been flying with OROC for 3 years now and this was one of the best fields we have been on. We only get to fly in the Willamette Valley once a year (45 minutes from my house). The rest of the year we fly in Brothers, OR (3 1/2 hours away). Granted the waiver in the valley is only 5,400 feet while out in the high desert the waiver is 20,500 feet AGL with windows to 42,280 feet AGL. But I've never busted out of the 3,000's anyway.

a) No video of the flight. But I loved the whistle this bird sings after motor burnout!
b) No nose weight (didn't need any)
c) Flew dual deploy with 24" drouge and 60" main. No real reason I didn't use the included chute. There was no wind to speak of and I wanted to make sure it landed as softly as I could. The 60" chute is the largest I have.

New pictures were posted on the OROC site and two of them are of my Frenzy.

Maiden flight on an AT I300T to 1,472 ft
fillibles_folly-7374.jpg

And it's second flight on a CTI J330 to 3,512 ft
fillibles_folly-8088.jpg

Back