Mach 5 Composite Case I1400 rocket launched last weekend

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brainstormz123

Reaction score
Rocket I launched last Saturday. Simmed to mach 5.5, 700gs peak. Rocket should have weighed around 62g at burnout. Appears to have not shredded on ascent and really disappeared. Tracking shut down immediately on ignition (700gs cant be good for electronics lol). Im going to try again shortly and do better on the electronics front. Launched at FAR during a bunker call and rail angled downrange.

Attachments

• Fast_Rocket_Realtime.mov
    14.8 MB
  • FAR-11-4-23-COPV3.mov
    11.8 MB
  • PXL_20231104_181334089.mov
    3.1 MB
  • P11606222.mov
    859.5 KB
  • IMG_9045.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9136.jpeg
    IMG_9136.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 2
Wow !

Are those forged fins ?

Looking at the 1st two MOV files ...

Did a couple rails on your tower come loose at the bottom after the rocket ( ? bullet ? ) left the tower ?

-- kjh

Wow !

Are those forged fins ?

Looking at the 1st two MOV files ...

Did a couple rails on your tower come loose at the bottom after the rocket ( ? bullet ? ) left the tower ?

-- kjh
Yeah, those are forged carbon fins. I made 10 and quality controlled for the best 4.
IMG_5415.jpeg

As for the tower, yeah it does definitely suck. The bottom plate is single use, but im pretty sure the rocket moves fast enough to not care (and it also needs like 2 inches of tower to reach an acceptable velocity)

Attachments

• IMG_5402.jpeg
    IMG_5402.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5403.jpeg
    IMG_5403.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Yeah, those are forged carbon fins. I made 10 and quality controlled for the best 4.
View attachment 614642

As for the tower, yeah it does definitely suck. The bottom plate is single use, but im pretty sure the rocket moves fast enough to not care (and it also needs like 2 inches of tower to reach an acceptable velocity)
Wait these aren’t the ones you forged out of your own hair right?! LOL you need to make a detailed build thread regardless all your projects are just too crazy.

Wait these aren’t the ones you forged out of your own hair right?! LOL you need to make a detailed build thread regardless all your projects are just too crazy.
Lol i have made fins like this out of my hair before, but im not sure the properties of hair can handle not fluttering at mach 5 at ground level. These ones were carbon in the same mold the hair fins came from. I didnt use the inlayed tip to tip hole, so ill probably print some new molds without it before going again since it just removes a lot of stiffness.

Rocket I launched last Saturday. Simmed to mach 5.5, 700gs peak. Rocket should have weighed around 62g at burnout. Appears to have not shredded on ascent and really disappeared. Tracking shut down immediately on ignition (700gs cant be good for electronics lol). Im going to try again shortly and do better on the electronics front. Launched at FAR during a bunker call and rail angled downrange.
Military uses electronics in some artillery shells... must be possible!

Military uses electronics in some artillery shells... must be possible!

Civie GPS will shut down after a certain speed due to security issues; I have also had crystals on RDF trackers come off the circuit board on high Gs.. But that was due to hitting the ground not boost.

Back