Lost my job, so gotta lose some rockets *sigh*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My company brought me up on three charges. Three charges I asked them? What am I on trial? They held a big meeting in like a court room. They got me for Chronic Absenteeism, Unable tor Perform My Job Duties and last Failure to show up to work. I was in a walker and back brace. I said really!!!! Just look at me. Do you think I could work? I was a truck driver for a County Road Dept. I said if the doctor didn’t screw up my back and diagnosed with cancer in between I would of been here. I was represented by the Union and even they said some of the questions I asked, even they wouldn’t of thought about asking. Well I had those charges dropped. My apologies to everyone here. I know this is a rocketry forum and I’m going off track with this. Just venting. This is a temporary set back until my settlement. That’s why I hate to sell these things but need funds. My RAM truck only have 2 payments left and I own it. I can’t even make them, and wondering if it will get repossessed.

My apologies to everyone here. I know this is a rocketry forum and I’m going off track with this. Just venting. This is a temporary set back until my settlement. That’s why I hate to sell these things but need funds.
No need to apologize...I was in a bad situation too and the point of this thread was about not being afraid of asking for help. My biggest advice is don't let pride get in the way of asking for help...ask friends & relatives, call in favors. Be prepared for disappointment, but all you need is one person to help you out right now. Don't give up.

I tried to get in touch with a local rocket club near me but their site reads (temporally closed). I know where they use to fly the property owner passed away and the family didn’t want them flying there any longer. They have a waiver for high powered rockets. Radical Rocketeers of Great Meadows NJ. All my rockets range from 13mm 18mm 24mm and 29mm. I have permission from a farmer that has several HUGE fields near me to launch and I’m solo in this hobby. I’m still building the kits one by one. I’m working on an Estes QCC Explorer and taking my time. So far so good. It stinks when big companies let people go over the stupid reasons and interrupt someone’s life. Like mine, compensation doctor screws up my back and I’m left holding the bag, (for now). I hate selling my rockets, it’s something I enjoy. Was looking forward to my first launch in 47 years. I’m even building a sturdy tilting launch pad because I can’t bend my back. I guess there are a lot of people out there worse off than I am especially with kids. Until my kits sell I’m still going to keep building.
Yeah, Radical Rocketeers closed a few years back...I visited there twice and they were a great bunch of people. The club by me (METRA in Pine Island NY) had their last launch already...gets too cold and snow becomes a problem. I believe there is a launch at CATO in CT this weekend:
https://www.catorockets.org/

That’s a cool site CATO. Lots of pictures. You said Rocketeers are done? Is that because the winter or for good?

That’s a cool site CATO. Lots of pictures. You said Rocketeers are done? Is that because the winter or for good?
Last I heard (last year?) the farmer who owned the land (where Radical Rocketeers launched) passed away and the new owners didn't want to allow it. Take that with a grain of salt since I wasn't a regular member.

Another learning I'd like to add as a collector (aka hoarder lol) AND seller is that while it is quite difficult to let go of items...especially ones deemed rare and dear (see SHR Shuttle I sold)...
  • I didn't need it,
  • the money I got was well appreciated,
  • it actually felt good to be able to let it go and
  • I felt it would go to someone else who had the time to build it and would probably do it more justice than me (or a collector who would hold it dear as I did).
Plus I have way more rockets than I can build right now and there's always new cool stuff. :)

Thanks. The lot I’m selling is already discounted. More cheeper than anyone would pay the going price. Yea no pay check since last July really dose SUCK. Having to sell things you worked hard for is hard. No Christmas this year. Can’t even afford a Christmas tree. My friend that lives across the street seen me spray painting primer on some of my rockets outside about a month and half ago. He walked over and said he never seen model rockets fly. So he said, when your ready to shoot these things off let him know, he would like to watch them fly. He died last Sunday. He will never get a chance to see them go up. My father died the day before Thanksgiving in 2001. What a wonderful time of the year. HO HO H, ah freak it!
Private Message me. I’m very interest. I mentor a rocket club with 15 teens. [email protected]

This is about 2/3 of the entire model rockets kits I’m selling the whole lot. Everything must go (all of it) several pictures I need to take yet. A lot of doubles and triples especially doubles on PS ll

I haven’t worked since January 2020 due to on the job injury. Doctors destroyed my knee and lower back. I haven’t hade a pay check since July 2022 so I feel for you. I tried to sell my whole lot of rockets but everyone just wanted the OOP rockets. If I sell a car and someone just wanted the wheels well I’m not going to sell just them, the whole car must go. Im still looking to sell the whole lot at one time, not piece it out.

I tried to sell my whole lot of rockets but everyone just wanted the OOP rockets.
I think there are plenty of people who want to buy the whole lot. But because they're buying rockets they don't want or are literally worth just a few bucks, they're going to want a significant discount on the bulk purchase.

As of a lot of people out there are looking to buy and make money off them by reselling them which is alright but I’m not asking the todays going price but what I have invested into the hobby. Example I bought two kits at $35.00 and I see them selling between $75 to $90 a kit. Looking for $6500.00 or best offer. With the kits I have you can almost double your money. But won’t brake up anything.

Just on two kits I paid $35.00 EACH
So if you just sold one of those kits, you can expect to receive say, $75. If sold on eBay, there goes about $10 in fees for payment and eBay. Shipping it will probably be about $10-$15. Then you need to factor in at least a little bit of profit to make all this worth the seller's time and effort; let's say that's $10. Now you can see why someone won't pay you much more than $40 for that kit. Ok, but you saw it sell for as much as $90. But that's probably an outlier, which means to get that price, the seller m ay have to sit on that kit for an extra several months to a few years.

If you sell your kits in bulk, you also need to consider that the buyer who resells them will have to pay income taxes on their sales. This is because they're probably a commercial reseller. And even if they aren't, given the new $600/1 transaction IRS reporting requirement for most online selling platforms (the implementation of this rule has been pushed back a year, so there's that...), they'll have to pay taxes or at least explain to the IRS why no taxes are owed. Think of the time and effort that's worth, whether to the seller or their accountant.

So, depending on the resellers tax details, there's another 10-20% of the gross sale that they need to consider as an expense. Then, there's the fact that many of those kits aren't going to sell quickly. Think several years, so there's the time value of money to factor in. Finally, you need to know that some of the kits you're selling are literally worth dimes on the dollar. Think Estes 220 Swift and Mars Leaper (I didn't see any of those in your pics, but that's just an example of how some of your kits may be worth less than what you originally paid). In other words:

If you spent $5,000 to acquire your collection/inventory of 250 kits and they can all be sold individually for a totally price of $10,000, 85% of that value will probably be coming from just 150-175 kits and 50% of that value is probably coming from 50-75 kits.

My overall point: if you're selling all 250 kits, you might only expect to get $5,500. But if you eliminate the negative/neutral value kits, you might sell 150, but still get $5,000. So, consider at least partially splitting up your lot or dramatically lowering your selling price for the entire lot.

N.B.: I just guesstimated these numbers to illustrate my point.

If I sell a car and someone just wanted the wheels well I’m not going to sell just them, the whole car must go. Im still looking to sell the whole lot at one time, not piece it out.

I once had a car where I sold the wheels for what I paid for the car. They were very rare, Italian magnesium wheels, a smaller version of what came on Ferraris. The rest of the car was let go for ~$150, I think. Sometimes, that's how it goes. You do what you have to do to get the most value out of what you have. Armed with that experience, I later found the same model of wheel on another car in a junkyard. I bought them at the junkyard price and made bank selling them.

You're the one who has time on your hands and needs the cash, but you're currently getting all of nothing by insisting on finding someone else who wants to be in the business of parting out your rocket collection. If I was in your situation, I'd be listing the highest-value kits on fleabay and getting cash coming in ASAP, and realize that 80 percent of the yield will come from 20 percent of the kits. Or close to that. Shouldn't be difficult to figure out which ones. Many of the kits you have will not return enough to be worth your time to list them, and that's even more true of someone who has $5-6k to drop on a bulk buy of kits. Just accept that they may sit around and will be the ones you're left with if you still want them in the future. But adapt yourself to the market reality and start getting results.

Last edited:
I agree with those talking about focusing on the high value kits. Few folks are going to be in a situation to pop $6500 at once. Sell the high value kits individually and then consider breaking up the remainder into lots of 10 kits each, mixing some medium value kits in with the low value stuff to help move it along. That way you aren't shipping a lot of kit per shipment stuff.

Good luck!

Last edited:
No I could get double or triple price for each kit but not looking to do that. I just want what I paid for them. The whole lot at once. Who ever buys them, they can sell them individually and double their money back. What ever the buyer wants to do with them. Once their sold its out on my hands. I tried this once before but everyone wants the OOP kits only. I don’t blame them but if I have to give them away cheep I will keep them all. I am already knocking 40% off of what I paid fore most to give someone a chance to enjoy them

Back