A rocket per week.... so in a year, 52?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrat

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been in the hobby about 6 months, and I have almost 30 rockets. I'm realizing that 6 months == 26 weeks, which is about right. That means I am averaging one rocket build per week, either a kit, kit-bash, modified kit or a complete scratch build. That means I'll have approximately 52 after being back in the hobby for a year (which is an easy day to mark, as on my birthday, is when I walked into a hobby store and bought the Big Bertha that started this insanity). Now, assuming some attrition due to lost/destroyed, I'll still be on my way to at least 50 by the time I hit my birthday again. And one thing I am noticing is that the choice of rockets I build get larger and larger as time goes on, meaning I've got less and less space for them all, meaning I gotta make more space.

In the spring, I may make a "sacrifice to the rocket gods" by getting rid of anything the size of an Alpha III by putting Quest D16 motors in them and wave bye-bye as they never come back. Any other ideas? I'd love to donate my smaller stuff to boy scouts or something like that, but I don't know of anything. I'll have to start making inquiries.

I've been in the hobby about 6 months, and I have almost 30 rockets. I'm realizing that 6 months == 26 weeks, which is about right. That means I am averaging one rocket build per week, either a kit, kit-bash, modified kit or a complete scratch build. That means I'll have approximately 52 after being back in the hobby for a year (which is an easy day to mark, as on my birthday, is when I walked into a hobby store and bought the Big Bertha that started this insanity). Now, assuming some attrition due to lost/destroyed, I'll still be on my way to at least 50 by the time I hit my birthday again. And one thing I am noticing is that the choice of rockets I build get larger and larger as time goes on, meaning I've got less and less space for them all, meaning I gotta make more space.

Take it easy, not to burn out. I did the same thing during first 6 months of Covid, and it took some joy out of the hobby.
Try building higher difficulty kits - those take longer, and making them look perfect raises the construction game to a yet another level.

In the spring, I may make a "sacrifice to the rocket gods" by getting rid of anything the size of an Alpha III by putting Quest D16 motors in them and wave bye-bye as they never come back. Any other ideas?

Please don't assume D16s will dispose of your rockets.
I just did a Scouts launch of super-light BMW school rockets, and 2/3rds came back from their D16 flights.
Kids loved the C12 and D16 flights!

I'd love to donate my smaller stuff to boy scouts or something like that, but I don't know of anything. I'll have to start making inquiries.

Scouts (as well as Cub Scouts) are perfectly capable of building their own rockets. That's part of the fun.
In fact, its a Space Merit Badge requirement to build your own rocket, and fly it twice with successful recovery.

a

If you launch with a club, look for young visitors and offer then a rocket to fly and take home. That's a great way to rehome birds that are parked and not being enjoyed as much.

A heck of a lot better than putting them out in the landscape as litter to be found later by people who may view our hobby as a nuisance. They all come back, even if we don't see them.

I don’t like the idea of turning them into litter on the landscape. I fly with a club and donate them to the club if I don’t want them. There’s a guy who makes sure every kid who attends a launch can fly a rocket, even if they didn’t come with one. He hands them out for free along with a motor, wadding, and igniter. It’s been very gratifying when I spot one of my former rockets in the hands of some happy kid.

If you're actually building them, that's pretty unusual, I think. If you are hoarding accumulating them in a giant "build pile," that is probably more typical. Sounds like the former. As long as you can afford it and it isn't causing problems in other areas of life, I'd say carry on.

Are you getting them all flown, or just building them?

While I am not building that many in a year, I do find I have rockets that are flyable, but not being flown. So I am giving them to nearby club. All I do is make sure they are 'flyable' (tug on the shockcords, fins, etc) and include a chute. The new 'owner' can either donate to the club for the rocket, or for the motor to fly it. All are 13mm to 24mm. All painted, but rough as they've been around the block so to speak. And it clears room for newer builds.

> If you are hoarding accumulating them in a giant "build pile," that is probably more typical.
I guess this is OT and been discussed in a million threads, but ... Yep thats me. 100s of kits. Most accumulated years ago in the 90's and early 2000's. Never will build them all, sold a bunch (most of which I now regret selling). I find it 'fun' to spend hours trying to figure out what to build... Between scratchers and kits... never get them all done in the years I have left.

To the OP. Donate them. I mean if you can fly 10 rockets everyday (like you live in a rural area or own land etc...), than by all means enjoy!

If you're actually building them, that's pretty unusual, I think. If you are hoarding accumulating them in a giant "build pile," that is probably more typical. Sounds like the former. As long as you can afford it and it isn't causing problems in other areas of life, I'd say carry on.

Are you getting them all flown, or just building them?
I have only a few that haven't flown yet, but most go from a collection of pieces to painted rocket, ready to fly, yes, in about a week. And with a monthly launch at CENJARS, I show up with 4 new rockets and 3 older rockets each month. I've been flying "Big Daddy" (see my Avatar) religiously every month since July, that's consistently the only rocket that's re-used every time. But every launch I show up with at least 4 new rockets that haven't flown yet, but by the end of the day, they've either flown or CATO'ed (to be fair, only one CATO in my 6 months).

I envy your build rate! Be careful about burnout as others have mentioned.

Also, we all lose a rocket every now and then but please don't lose one deliberately. Far better to give them away or cannibalize them for future scratch builds or modifications.

Motors ain't free.

Put all of your bt50 sized rockets in a box, instead of flying them away. Use the money saved to jump into rockets that'll prep you for high power. Like a medium power Loc Onyx, or Micro Magg. (with a JLCR)

And with a monthly launch at CENJARS, I show up with 4 new rockets and 3 older rockets each month..

At the next launch, set up a table, tarp, etc near the LCO with a sign that says "free rockets, ready to fly"
Or make it fun and get some raffle tickets. Let the club pick winners throughout the day. That feels better to most people than just taking something.
Does the club have a Facebook page? Make a post for the next launch- "Rockets will be provided for the first 15 people who want to come and don't have a rocket to fly."

Bring some stickers along so kids can personalize and make them their own.

Back