*Very Normal* Estes Hi-Flier XL Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DabCat

Reaction score
Picked up another Hi-Flier XL at my local hobby store a few months ago. The plan is to construct it with painstaking precision, adhering strictly to the stock instructions.

This rocket is already partially built, so I'll document what I've completed so far. A warning: this build thread may move pretty slow.

The complete kit unpackaged:

Screenshot_20240215_110031_Gallery.jpg

The first step was throwing away all the trash Estes includes in the packaging. I mean seriously? Who needs this?

Screenshot_20240215_110059_Gallery.jpg

First step is preparing the fins. The instructions don't say to do this, but I think a little variance to strengthen it will be just fine. I beveled them and cut out paper.

Screenshot_20240215_110121_Gallery.jpg

Curious, food saver to vacuum bag them? I don't see evidence of a fitting like a more traditional vacuum bag setup (or is it just out of the frame).
There's a sheet of 5 mil duralar between the bag and the carbon, but yes. Food saver. I saw someone try it (I forget where), and decided I wanted to try it myself. It worked really well. It doesn't really vacuum to get bubbles out. More just apply even pressure to conform the carbon over the bevel.

I laser cut some fin alignment guides. Nothing else other than that. I've got a few other projects on the workbench that are higher priority.

I want to see how you are going to keep the motor in it.
Most likely friction fit with the shock cord anchored to the forward closure. This won't be flying on Estes D motors.

I'll probably make adaptor assemblies that have an actual motor retainer and shock cord anchored to the adaptor centering rings.

I laser cut some fin alignment guides. Nothing else other than that. I've got a few other projects on the workbench that are higher priority.

Most likely friction fit with the shock cord anchored to the forward closure. This won't be flying on Estes D motors.

I'll probably make adaptor assemblies that have an actual motor retainer and shock cord anchored to the adaptor centering rings.
When I first asked I was thinking 29mm and minimum diameter but that wouldn't be correct, with 29mm you would have room to integrate some motor retention. But I don't think you ever said so you might be going for 38mm which would be minimum diameter with no room for retention at the rear of the engine unless you get creative. But you could always rig something to install from the front to thread into the front closure and retain the motor.

When I first asked I was thinking 29mm and minimum diameter but that wouldn't be correct, with 29mm you would have room to integrate some motor retention. But I don't think you ever said so you might be going for 38mm which would be minimum diameter with no room for retention at the rear of the engine unless you get creative. But you could always rig something to install from the front to thread into the front closure and retain the motor.
I have not explicitly stated yet. This is probably going to be 38mm "minimum diameter" (The BT-60 coupler acts as a 38mm motor tube). Most likely 38/120-38/360 loads, nothing super extreme. I could mount a bulkhead that the forward closure screws to, but that would mean either gluing in a bulkhead or bolting it in with external bolts. I don't want external bolts because the original goal was a nice finish. The extreme motor choice was an afterthought. Originally it was supposed to be built for the CTI 24 6g G reloads, but I was "talked into larger". I'd like to avoid gluing in a bulkhead so I can still easily fly motor eject on 29s and 24s with an adaptor assembly. And I also don't want to limit my motor length in case I want to fly something longer in it. Of course, I could design a bulkhead that still allows for motor eject and a fixed retention for 38s. I still haven't fully decided what my plan is for this part. I could also just friction fit the 38s or adaptor assemblies and do rear eject. That's my current train of though, but of course there's still lot's of things to consider. And this isn't my current highest priority. Just a side project I threw together because I wanted to experiment with the colored carbon/fiberglass hybrid sleeves from Soller Composites.

I have not explicitly stated yet. This is probably going to be 38mm "minimum diameter" (The BT-60 coupler acts as a 38mm motor tube)
The bulkhead itself doesn't have to be glued in but it does need something in there to butt up against. For instance if you had a BT60 coupler near the front of the longest motor you would use, the motor closure would butt up against the rear of the airframe, the bulkhead could butt up against the front edge of the coupler. Once the bulkhead and motor are screwed together the airframe is sandwiched between them. The bulkhead would work with shorter motor casings by using a longer piece of threaded rod. If you make an adapter for smaller motors you could use a different bulkhead that screws to the adapter and has a hole in the middle for ejection gases. All of these pieces would require care to make but if you have the ability and patience to do CF and fiberglass that part shouldn't be a problem.

And don't forget room for the tracker!

I can do photos if my words aren't explaining well enough.

The bulkhead itself doesn't have to be glued in but it does need something in there to butt up against. For instance if you had a BT60 coupler near the front of the longest motor you would use, the motor closure would butt up against the rear of the airframe, the bulkhead could butt up against the front edge of the coupler. Once the bulkhead and motor are screwed together the airframe is sandwiched between them. The bulkhead would work with shorter motor casings by using a longer piece of threaded rod. If you make an adapter for smaller motors you could use a different bulkhead that screws to the adapter and has a hole in the middle for ejection gases. All of these pieces would require care to make but if you have the ability and patience to do CF and fiberglass that part shouldn't be a problem.

And don't forget room for the tracker!

I can do photos if my words aren't explaining well enough.
I see what you mean. Something has to be glued in no matter what. Long motor tube and just pull against the top of it sounds like a plan.

Planning on a com-spec beacon in the nose or tied to the shock cord for tracking.

Back