Looking to get an L3 motor in Melbourne, Australia, what are the regulations and hoops I need to jump through?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Tung

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm doing some initial research for my team about what is needed to get L3 motors in Australia. We're looking on the lower-power end of the L3 motors, though I doubt it would make a difference. What is an SDL licence and how do I get one?

Requires the appropriate Federal and State importation and retailing licences, as well as the end user being appropriately licenced per local state requirements. Currently in Australia, there is only one organisation active in this area - Australian Rocketry. That being said, if the team is looking at L3, then the responsible flyers must already hold L2, so you would already know all this, right?

https://ausrocketry.com.au/

Contact Berg's Hobbies. They are in the process of putting together an Aerotech order with motors requiring SDL. If you can get in on that order you pay a share of the SDL cost. IIRC that cost is about $3k for the SDL alone. You wouldn't want to pay that for shipping only a few motors. You do need to be L3 to order L3 motors though.

Talk to them and discuss options.

Contact Berg's Hobbies. They are in the process of putting together an Aerotech order with motors requiring SDL. If you can get in on that order you pay a share of the SDL cost. IIRC that cost is about $3k for the SDL alone. You wouldn't want to pay that for shipping only a few motors. You do need to be L3 to order L3 motors though.

Talk to them and discuss options.
You need to be Level 2 and attempting your L3 to order L3 motors

Requires the appropriate Federal and State importation and retailing licences, as well as the end user being appropriately licenced per local state requirements. Currently in Australia, there is only one organisation active in this area - Australian Rocketry. That being said, if the team is looking at L3, then the responsible flyers must already hold L2, so you would already know all this, right?

https://ausrocketry.com.au/
Can't be very active if they don't hold stock.

Can't be very active if they don't hold stock.
Holding stock of large motors is not practical for most suppliers here. Not many (none) have a spare $100k sitting around to spring for motors. Berg's are going out of their way to organise these motor orders, keeping rocketeers flying in Australia.

Do you know of any other suppliers with stock?

Holding stock of large motors is not practical for most suppliers here. Not many (none) have a spare $100k sitting around to spring for motors. Berg's are going out of their way to organise these motor orders, keeping rocketeers flying in Australia.

Do you know of any other suppliers with stock?
Agreed! However, I believe OZRoc was referring to AR stock in general - not just large HPR motors.

Historically, ordering a motor not in stock and verified as in stock from AR was a lottery. I've seen it happen multiple times to universities and individuals.
Ordering through Bergs hobbies is a more reliable option.
To order a L3 motor, you need to be either L2 attempting L3 and can order a single L3 motor or L3 and can order whatever you need or persuade a current L3 to act as the nominated flyer and have the motor ordered and supplied through them and they would be the named flyer. You'd have to find that person.
Contact Tripoli Australia.

Agreed! However, I believe OZRoc was referring to AR stock in general - not just large HPR motors.
Correct. Berg's is an outstanding asset to the hobby.
Not sure about stock. Got cleaned out a while back due to the general shortage of motors I think.
They only got cleaned out due to the complete disassociation between the company and good business practice.

....... Contact Tripoli Australia.
That'd be Tripoli Victoria, Norm.
Cheers

Correct. Berg's is an outstanding asset to the hobby.

They only got cleaned out due to the complete disassociation between the company and good business practice.

That'd be Tripoli Victoria, Norm.
Cheers
They are known by both names. But seem to have legally become VRA. First I've heard of the name change.
VRA might want to update the listing on the Tripoli.org website to show the correct website details. tripoli.org.au is now a dead link.
1687255746108.png

https://victorianrocketry.org.au/public/pages/2021-annual-general-meeting
Excerpt from the minutes

2021 Annual General Meeting​

On 25 November 2021, Tripoli Rocketry Association Australia, TRAAU, held its 2021 Annual General Meeting at the Golden Gate Hotel in South Melbourne. It was well attended with over 40 members present.

President, David Boyd outlined the activities of the club throughout the difficult period of COVID-19. Despite the restrictions and limited launches, the club has been very busy advancing its assets with the purchase and fit out of a large equipment trailer for the Serpentine launch site. This compliments the recently acquired portable toilet and fire fighting trailer.

The merger of the Melbourne Amateur Rocketry Society (MARS) into Tripoli Australia was also completed including arrangements to continue launching at the Drouin launch site.

TRAAU formed about 25 years ago and was the only amateur rocketry club in Australia. Over time, clubs have formed in other States making our identity as Tripoli Australia a little misleading and inappropriate. So, at the AGM, the club passed two important motions. Firstly, the Tripoli Rocketry Association Australian has been renamed to become the Victorian Rocketry Association. And the Prefecture has been renamed from Tripoli Australia to Tripoli Victoria. The appropriate documentation is being progressed with TRA in America.

Last edited:
Back