Looking for launch with 12K waiver in MW or east

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

School of Rock'et'

Reaction score
Looking for a launch with favorable waiver 12k+ in Midwest or East US late July early Aug... any club launches accommodate that waiver request and timeline that folks know of??? Greatly appreciate the help in advance!

You can check with URRG, their waiver is 18K. With Tripoli's recent review for compliance to FAR 101.25g, which is required to maintain insurance, the max allowable altitude is usually not has high as the actual COA, so don't go just by what the waiver is. I would contact the prefecture directly to verify max allowed altitude.

SMASH in Muskegon has a 15k’ waiver and launches scheduled for July 22nd and August 26th. Haven’t flown with them so I’m can’t comment on the field. Might be worth a look.

They and MMAR are both NAR groups so no EX motors. You didn't say what types of motors you will be using.
SMASH is my main launch site, I've scraped the waiver at 14,810 there (Simmed lower) and been over 10k 3 times, over 8k dozens of times. Biggest obstacle is the big icky, which is the main wastewater pond directly south of the launch site. Watch the winds, though in over a decade of launching there I only recall two or three launches with winds in that direction. The location 20 or so miles inland of lake michigan generally puts us under a jet stream most of the summer, most wind is from the west and south. Mostly farm fields. Bring a GPS locator though, there are a few tree lines that clock line of site from the launch site so don't plan on having eyes on landing.

SMASH is my main launch site, I've scraped the waiver at 14,810 there (Simmed lower) and been over 10k 3 times, over 8k dozens of times. Biggest obstacle is the big icky, which is the main wastewater pond directly south of the launch site. Watch the winds, though in over a decade of launching there I only recall two or three launches with winds in that direction. The location 20 or so miles inland of lake michigan generally puts us under a jet stream most of the summer, most wind is from the west and south. Mostly farm fields. Bring a GPS locator though, there are a few tree lines that clock line of site from the launch site so don't plan on having eyes on landing.
Great advice, thanks. We might be near that area in late July. I don't fly many large commercial motors, but any launch will still be fun.

Do you have a vendor that shows up?

URRG has an 18K waiver, usually sits at between 14-15K due to wind, but I have definitely gone ab over 14K at URRG. The landing area is measured in miles and, for URRF, they will have an away cell that can accommodate up to a P motor (Dan Michels will be launching a full scale Patriot with a complex P on 10-June).

I will be coming to URRF with at least one, maybe two flights, that will go past 14K.

SMASH in Muskegon has a 15k’ waiver and launches scheduled for July 22nd and August 26th. Haven’t flown with them so I’m can’t comment on the field. Might be worth a look.

It has a large "lake" called the Big Icky; it's a waste treatment area that spread the treated water on so there is that. I had a rocket land in one of the ditches and the next day it was totally corroded every metal part. I gave the rocket away to someone that wanted it as I did not anymore.

So take that into account. Many have landed in the treatment lake of poop. And don't run your air conditioner in your truck or car while there; I finally had to find a product to take the smell out of my past Silverado I made that mistake with.

Edit: the product I just looked at in my cabinet is "Fresh Wave" ; it was an infomercial on the local Muskegon Sunday Morning AM radio show that I looked up on Amazon when I got back home.

Last edited:

Those farm fields you see being sprayed with the water irrigators are from the treated waste water; they are not regular farmer owned fields. Don't breath that stuff in or get near them if they are running ... Don't eat the food grown there either...

Those farm fields you see being sprayed with the water irrigators are from the treated waste water; they are not regular farmer owned fields. Don't breath that stuff in or get near them if they are running ... Don't eat the food grown there either...
Vast majority of the time they are dry. I still recommend long pants, lots of bug spray, and wash you hands well before you eat. Also the ditch directly behind the parking area has been filled in, which accounted for 90% of ditch landings.

Vast majority of the time they are dry. I still recommend long pants, lots of bug spray, and wash you hands well before you eat. Also the ditch directly behind the parking area has been filled in, which accounted for 90% of ditch landings.

I quit going there a long time ago, which is probably why you don't know who I am. Glad the ditch was filled in , that was the one giving us lots of problems.

Back