Looking for a beginner club in Central Va.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpm

Reaction score
I live in the Richmond Va. area and would like to get involved in a beginner club with my young son.

I would look for an established club near you. Don't think that an established club will look down on you since you are starting out. Most rocketeers LOVE to help new people and you can learn a lot from these guys (and the occasional gal).

I am sure it will be intimidating to see guys with rockets taller than you, but I don't think there is anyone in my group who would hesitate to help someone starting out. Our club sees rockets with everything from A to M motors. I did a count of a club launch we did in early December and we had A through K motors that day, but the majority was low power (A, B, C and D motors).

We launched yesterday and I flew 5 rockets; one each of A through E motors.

Last edited:
Here's a list of

Rocketry Clubs Near Richmond, Virginia

The list is sorted by the distance to the club's nearest launch site. You can click on a club's name to get more information, including links to the club's web site and directions to its launch sites.

Most clubs cater to beginners as well as experienced rocketeers. But, a club with an emphasis on model rocketry, rather than high-power rockets, might be better suited if you feel you need some hands-on help from others. According to their web site, the National Association of Rocketry section in Richmond, Vikings Rocket Society, does not have its own launch site right now, but flies with other local clubs.

Have fun!

-- Roger

Last edited:
Back