Loc Magnum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Don

Reaction score
Hey There!
I just picked up a Loc Precision Magnum kit from Chad Ring
at the December 8 launch at Ellsberry, Mo. I actually thought
to grab an extra centering ring but before I start any assembly
I would like to ask for any input from the pros before I glue
something I'll regret! DR DON

Originally posted by Dr. Don
Hey There!
I just picked up a Loc Precision Magnum kit from Chad Ring
at the December 8 launch at Ellsberry, Mo. I actually thought
to grab an extra centering ring but before I start any assembly
I would like to ask for any input from the pros before I glue
something I'll regret! DR DON
The Loc/Precision kits are great choices and the Magnum is a very nice rocket. It's basically a big hollow tube so you can adjust it in many different ways, depending on what you want to do with it. You can see one example, what I did with my Magnum.

We highly recommend that when questions arise about a particular type of rocket, that you check out all of the reviews on EMRR. I know I did when I built my Diablo. :) {BTW check out my review of the Diablo too} ;)

Also, if you've got questions, ask away! :D

Hey There!
Thanks for the tips! After checking out the reviews, I now have
to make some decisions on just how many different Magnums I
I could possibly make! I do like the pair of 29mm outboards
as an option but I can see why I may not end up using them. I was looking at the possible 54mm motor combinations and I am
leaning towards the 54/1280 for a J135. I like the price range & the 7 second burn time. Of course for the moment it seems as if
any motor not in hand is only a dream. DR DON

You are gonna follow John Coker's lead aren't ya? I don't know much about the Magnum but it looked like he had interchangable motor mounts for any situation that arrises. So, I guess my statement is why choose? Make all that you can think of... :)

After this thread, I'm thinking I have to look into this kit. It looks like it has tons of potential... EMRR here I come!

Originally posted by PGerringer
After this thread, I'm thinking I have to look into this kit. It looks like it has tons of potential... EMRR here I come!

ROC (So. Cal. TRA/NAR club) has a tradition of Magnum drag races at their large launches. These rockets are almost like staples of HPR. (Loc/Precision is perhaps the original HPR kit maker.)

I gotta tell ya John, very very impressive job you did!!! You have me hungry for a Magnum... :)

Also, if it isn't too much trouble, could you describe how you made those interchangable motor mounts? or is that how the kit comes?

Also, if it isn't too much trouble, could you describe how you made those interchangable motor mounts? or is that how the kit comes?

Each motor mount assembly incorporates the aft bulkhead/thrust plate, which screws to a centering ring bonded to the inside of the aft end of the airframe. This way, the thrust is transferred in the usual manner, but the motor mount tubes are interchangeable.

The forward centering ring (for 3" motor tubes) is just there to keep the motor mount tube aligned, but doesn't take any of the motor thrust. (Note that for the single-tube 54mm mount, the outsides are built up to fit snugly in the 3" MMT).

I have flown a K1050 in this rocket with no problem, but the ultimate test of the system is an M1315, which is the largest motor this rocket can handle.

Geesh.... M.... dang that must go high....

How do you do multiple motors? It looks like the aft centering ring looks like it has the capability of doing muliple. Did you design that ring or did that come with the kit?

How do you do multiple motors? It looks like the aft centering ring looks like it has the capability of doing muliple. Did you design that ring or did that come with the kit?
Since each motor unit is separate, it can be designed for any combination of motors that will fit. I made the aft C.R. specially so that it would accomodate a wide range of configurations (including a cluster of three 38mm motors). The 5.5" Loc tubing gives you a lot of flexibility for clustering. You could even design this rocket to handle a 98mm MMT, but that would leave little room for the fin tabs and aft C.R.

I only built three motor units so far: a single 54mm motor (in which I've flown a K1050 and a K700), a single 3" motor (in which I've flown a Kosdon East sparky motor) and a 54mm plus two 29mm motors (which hasn't flown yet, but is the traditional Magnum configuration).

Latest posts

Back