Liner Grease

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit the answers here are surprising. I'm learning something today.

I did not grease my liners at first. Had a few liners get REALLY stuck and at the time "learned" that I should grease them to prevent this. I realize now that I don't know where I learned this, but the information came to me somehow regardless. It did work - I've since always greased my liners (in AT motors anyways) I haven't had a liner get stuck again; they all come out nice and easy. Of course, cleanup is a pain and a messy job; but I just figured that was part of the game and the way things are.

But now I find that most of you NEVER grease your liners, and haven't for years. I'm definately surprised. But it apparantly works for all of you, so I'm happy to try and go back to "ungreasing" again. I'd love for cleanup to be easier and less p.i.t.a.

So, thanks for putting me on the right path again (I hope), and perhaps saving me some cleanup hassle out there on the range.

s6

I have to admit the answers here are surprising. I'm learning something today.

I did not grease my liners at first. Had a few liners get REALLY stuck and at the time "learned" that I should grease them to prevent this. I realize now that I don't know where I learned this, but the information came to me somehow regardless. It did work - I've since always greased my liners (in AT motors anyways) I haven't had a liner get stuck again; they all come out nice and easy. Of course, cleanup is a pain and a messy job; but I just figured that was part of the game and the way things are.

But now I find that most of you NEVER grease your liners, and haven't for years. I'm definately surprised. But it apparantly works for all of you, so I'm happy to try and go back to "ungreasing" again. I'd love for cleanup to be easier and less p.i.t.a.

So, thanks for putting me on the right path again (I hope), and perhaps saving me some cleanup hassle out there on the range.

s6

For me, the key to removing ungreased liners is to do it when the casing is still warm.

Yep. On the field the baby wipes remove the grease in very short order. Just follow up with a dry paper towel and you're good to go again.

I do this regularly with my AT reloads. No need to grease the "liner" with the CTI reloads.

Definitely grease the o-rings -- the whole point of that is specifically to help prevent them from tearing during installation.

It's the greasing of the case itself and/or the liner that the question is about.

-Kevin

Okay, gotcha... will keep doing what I've been doing, then...

Later!

--Coop

Back