Level 2 project: "Long Tom" LOC Cruiser -> stretched Tomahawk CM

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhat silly question and apologies if you mentioned it previously, but did you set the launch pad altitude to ~1 mile ASL? Your back up altimeter screenshot shows your launch pad altitude was ~5,200 feet above MSL. That could easily account for the extra altitude you saw in actual flight vs sim flight. I like to call this the AAB effect. (AAB = Adrian Adamson/Balls)

I wasn't aware OR had a Cd override! I thought surface finish was the only method we had currently.

On which panel is it located?

There is no single value override. You have to futz with finish/bevels, as you are doing.

Your design is pretty unique and probably more than the OR drag model can handle. How about using your CFD model to check Cd predictions?

More than likely, your motor burned better than the thrust curve.

I can guess which questions tripped you up - the legal mumbo-jumbo that is simply rote memorization and that you will never use in practice.

Beautiful flight! I may have committed parts of the L2 test to short-term memory for about an hour while I took it. :rolleyes: On the other hand, I know where to find standoff distance tables. My students' large project this year was about 8% over the polished surface, airfoiled fins OR prediction on the shakedown flight. However, it was a reliable 8%, so we were comfortable flying it to the edge of the waiver. Highest flight was 13,500 or so on a waiver of 14,000. You might just need an "altitude adjuster" percentage if you're close to the waiver.

That was my plan. I requested to take the test at the last two club meetings, but they were....misplaced? No need to go further into that lol

Yeah, but have you overshot by a 1/4 mile Mike?

No sir I haven't. Most of my flights barely hit 1/4 mile. I hope to get a mile soon, if I can ever feel comfortable with the Eggfinder.

Somewhat silly question and apologies if you mentioned it previously, but did you set the launch pad altitude to ~1 mile ASL? Your back up altimeter screenshot shows your launch pad altitude was ~5,200 feet above MSL. That could easily account for the extra altitude you saw in actual flight vs sim flight. I like to call this the AAB effect. (AAB = Adrian Adamson/Balls)

Yup, I accounted for ground level, temperature, and average windspeed in sims.
What's the AAB effect? I feel like there's a story there

There is no single value override. You have to futz with finish/bevels, as you are doing.

Your design is pretty unique and probably more than the OR drag model can handle. How about using your CFD model to check Cd predictions?

More than likely, your motor burned better than the thrust curve.

I can guess which questions tripped you up - the legal mumbo-jumbo that is simply rote memorization and that you will never use in practice.

My mistake. I committed assumicide.

That's what I was remembering about OpenR.

Do you really think an elliptical, two forward wings, and a boattail is "pretty unique" for OR or too much to handle though?
Investigating the models is a logical next step. I'll have to make a better guess at the surface roughness if I want useable results.

And yes, you guessed correctly. I'll have you know that they'll stick in my mwory longer now, than they would have if I'd just crammed and spit them back out. Can't complain though. To paraphrase the gentleman that helped out, I failed and came back with a flight tested rocket. Others came back with a sack.

Bonus performance happens, but 13% over highest sim prediction? Oh well.

Beautiful flight! I may have committed parts of the L2 test to short-term memory for about an hour while I took it. :rolleyes: On the other hand, I know where to find standoff distance tables. My students' large project this year was about 8% over the polished surface, airfoiled fins OR prediction on the shakedown flight. However, it was a reliable 8%, so we were comfortable flying it to the edge of the waiver. Highest flight was 13,500 or so on a waiver of 14,000. You might just need an "altitude adjuster" percentage if you're close to the waiver.

Thanks Boat! (And everyone else that I haven't quoted).

Since I fly rockets with big airframe to motor ratios so far, I didn't think I'd have to worry about waiver busting. I may have to reevaluate that position lol

No sir I haven't. Most of my flights barely hit 1/4 mile. I hope to get a mile soon, if I can ever feel comfortable with the Eggfinder.

Keep practicing, you'll get there!
(and if you can put off a motor order or two, I'll once again recommend the Missile works T3)

It can even fin itself! (Thats a story for later)

Yup, I accounted for ground level, temperature, and average windspeed in sims.
What's the AAB effect? I feel like there's a story there

It's just a term I made up to be honest. Adrian, when he lived in Colorado, flew out of Tripoli Colorado at their high altitude launch site. It's well over a mile ASL. Black Rock is similar, IIRC it's somewhere around 4k' ASL. When you sim a rocket from a site that isn't high altitude you'll notice your AGL apogee suffers when compared to launching from a higher altitude with the same setup, just thinner air. It definitely helps to launch from a higher ASL site when you're looking to set altitude records.

Alright high power flyers, this is what's left of the K750. I just got home, unloaded the car, and used a dowel rod to knock out the motor remnants.

There's total severance of the liner around the grain 5-6 interface (counting from bottom up), and a liner burnthough at the 3-4 interface. The interior of the case is really dirty at those spots, but the exterior looks normal. Thoughts on causes and any serious ramifications?

I'll ask on the Propulsion section if necessarry as well.

20180812_211832.jpg

Hmm, this is my first Pro54 motor, so I have no baseline to compare it to.

I'm wondering if the case is ok since there's no bulge or discoloration.

Just fly it on an L1000 for your "real" cert flight and the case won't be an issue;)

As long as the case isn't deformed or discolored, it's not an issue. I believe that the explanation is that most of the burnthrough happens after motor burnout while the delay grain is going. I felt the same way after seeing my first Pro54 reload come out, but experienced people talked me off the ledge. You should see what's left of the liner after a 29mm G54 flight (not much!).

That's reassuring for the pro54.

I've seen the Pro29/38 plastic liners shrivel and come apart before, but I wasn't expecting it from this big phenolic liner. Makes it harder to save souvenirs

That's a great angle on that picture. The wings look cool. It's interesting how different rocket designs present such different impressions when flying. Appearance on the ground is not always a predictor of what it looks like in the air.

hmmm, after-flight report on 6th?

fm

Sure! As long as you bring the test for me to retake.......

That's a great angle on that picture. The wings look cool. It's interesting how different rocket designs present such different impressions when flying. Appearance on the ground is not always a predictor of what it looks like in the air.

I'm really happy with it. Admittedly, the wings were hard to make out inflight

Just for amusement sake, I thought I'd provide a graphical depiction of this particular K750's journey.

Goes without saying, it started out with Cesaroni ~2013
Cesaroni ships it to Moto-Joe Rocketry in Boulder
Our club Tripoli prefect orders it (~2016) and it's shipped to him in Huntsville while he is out of state
FedEx won't hold the big bad hazardous shipment and sends it back to Moto-Joe in Colorado
Club prefect gets back from travel, discovers his motor got returned, and gets Moto-Joe to send it back to Huntsville
I acquire it from our prefect, and it makes its way to Colorado once again (Pueblo this time) for NARAM 60* (2018)
(not shown but previously discussed) The motor makes one final trip 7000' vertically at about 6.5x as fast as it's ever gone before

*Moto-Joe was a vendor at NARAM too

upload_2018-8-28_15-13-47.png

On Saturday I officially flew Long Tom on a K500 for successful L2 certification. Special thanks to TurbulentSphere for bringing his zoom lens and capturing some good shots.
Other than a popped igniter on the first button press, everything was 100%. I left a little of the boot sequence in the video for laughs because it shows me barely remember to grab my sunglasses off the blast deflector before walking away :cool:
It was a beautiful day at our new field just a half hour outside of Huntsville with 60-70 temperatures and winds in the 2-6 mph. 1/4 mile radius free of trees in all directions with more room in most directions. Not a single rocket was lost that day although a couple will need repairs.

44023202_2172599942784464_6661766297849692160_n.jpg
44055695_2172601659450959_5787437687984095232_n.jpg
44113568_2172601819450943_3093498998657384448_n.jpg

Forgot to add the flight data. Both altimeters were within 20' of each other leaving an average 3922' altitude and 515 ft/s.
(I left my base station for the T3 at home, but that was no loss since it landed within sight of the flight line)

2nd flight rrc3.PNG

2nd flight slcf.PNG

Back