Level 2 HPR - Water / Pyro rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

air.command

Reaction score
We've been working on our L2 rocket that can fly both as a water rocket as well as on 54mm J and K motors. We are hoping to fly it later this year on a J360 for the cert flight. But because we wanted to test the deployment mechanism and check that it flies properly, we flew it as a water rocket recently. (A lot cheaper to do test flights this way :) ) The rocket has a ~20L capacity so at 300psi we get a motor equivalent of an I335 and at 400psi it is the equivalent of a J425. Here are a couple of photos of the rocket, and a video of the test flight.

_DSC0014.jpg_DSC0023.jpg_DSC0037.jpg

Best of luck with your L2, but I've never been more certain that luck is unnecessary. Your skills in engineering and construction far exceed that of many L3s I know.

I find something to marvel about in every one of your videos.

He did once leave a water rocket in the sun a bit too long. It was a yellow rocket, the name of it escapes me. It heated up on the side facing the sun and became a giant 6ft banana when it started to pressurise... It was always known as the banana rocket afterwards.
The launch was scrubbed.. :)
Any photos George. :)

Part 4 of the series covers reinforcing the shock cord mounting point, making and attaching the payload bay mounting bracket, attaching the nozzle and making a set of fins.

Great video as always. Not many rocketry subscriptions on YouTube I look forward to more than Air Command.
Edit: oops, originally typed "too," meant "to."

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. We've had a bit of a break over the last couple of months, but we are finally catching up on editing all the build videos. Here is the latest one that covers the details of the parachute deployment mechanism.

As always most interesting. Delighted to see your videos again, and your progress!

Wow, that's a crazy amount of power. Now I want to know if anyone has tried pressurizing one with steam :D

That ending though......

Forrest Gump Running GIF

In this week's video we finally finish the rocket by attaching fins, rail buttons, we give a few coats of paint and we also do a full presssure test to make sure there aren't any leaks.

In this week's video we finally finish the rocket by attaching fins, rail buttons, we give a few coats of paint and we also do a full presssure test to make sure there aren't any leaks.

Enjoying Thanksgiving dinner with family this evening, but I know what I'm watching when I get home! A new Air Command video is always a treat.

I've got a 1000 psi rated M hybrid that would be a relatively easy conversion to steam. But I don't think Tripoli cover them............

Back