Lettering--any method more foolproof?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pippen

Reaction score
A couple of the kids I'm working with are wanting to add lettering onto their rockets (one is a kit without decals, the other a scratch build). I've read threads with a number of different methods and am wondering if those of you familiar with this area could offer some advice in which direction to go. A couple of guys doing these builds are going to be competitive in their age groups so it needs to be done well, but they are going to run right up to the wire with their paint jobs so they need to avoid methods that could potentially mess up their paint jobs.

Ages of the kids are 14, 12, and probably an 11 year old. I think all are using Rustoleum paints and one will finish with Future.

There are all kinds of self-stick and rub-on letters at craft stores like Hobby Lobby, Michaels etc.
That's what I use on this rocket.

Vapor Trails otp.jpg

Or a set of stencils to spray the letters on..but that reqiures a bit of patience and a lot of taping to prevent overspray and to get the stencils to conform to the curve of the body tube(I presume thats where the letters are to go)..

I think the rub on letters mentioned above would be the quickest/easiest way, may not be the best looking, but easier by far..

either rub-on or stencils, use an angle iron to draw a reallllly light pencil line and align the bottom of the letters with it. you can erase the line afterwards, if it's very lightly drawn.

I've found I can do rub-ons by hand/eye, stencils I gotta tape together first, then put down & spray over.

Rub-on lettering is nice but for super easy (and fast) nothing beats a trip to the craft store for peel -n- stick letter sets like Tony suggested. In the scrapbooking (or papercraft) section you'll find tons of different sizes and fonts and colors.

kj

Another option is to go to the office supply store and get a package of full sheet clear label stock for your printer (there are both ink jet and laser versions). You (or they) can create any graphics they want for the rocket and then print a "peel and stick decal sheet" for the rocket. Just cut the "decals" apart with a razor knife and you're good to go.

If they have a steady hand and maybe something to trace, they could do it out of monokote trim. It's a self adhesive vinyl like material. It's what I did for my Norad Pro Maxx. I found the font I wanted online, then printed the letters onto plain paper, cut them out and traced them onto the Monokote Trim, then cut those out and applied.

Letterset or Ziptype rub-On's are available from Art supply and Graphic art supply stores in just about all "point sizes" and hundreds of fonts....in black that is;) A few other colors like Red, blue and some white are also found in a far more limited selection of both size and font style.
Dry Transfer (rub-on) type has to be freehand spaced with can be somewhat problematic for the first time user but gives a vastly superior end result to stick on vinyl letters once mastered with a few test runs. ie buy as couple of font sheets of the same size;)

Stick-ons Diecut vinyl lettering has the advantage of being somewhat adjustable if used with a wetting agent and can be pre-spaced on waxed paper or a piece of backing sheet then transfered with a low tac masking film called "transfer film" as a complete word or line of copy. Transfer film is semi-transparent so the alignment lines can be seen thru it before the letters are squeegee'ed down.
Hope this helps.

Thanks all for your ideas! These should take care of most everyone who wants to add lettering. My 14 year old is going to do some experimenting on scrap before deciding. He's pulled out all the stops for this one: scratch built, made two ply balsa for curved fins, and yesterday cranked out a parachute with my sewing machine (!), so he needs to find what will work right for his rocket. He does have a pretty steady cutting hand and could handle making a mask well enough--getting letters with a smooth cut might be another story though.

Letterset or Ziptype rub-On's are available from Art supply and Graphic art supply stores in just about all "point sizes" and hundreds of fonts....in black that is;) A few other colors like Red, blue and some white are also found in a far more limited selection of both size and font style. .

LOL on the available in all point sizes and hundreds of fonts...guess black is in this year.

Our art supply store closed down a few years ago and is now inhabited by yet another eatery. :(

I did do some searching of the usual places yesterday. Rub on letters were scarce, except for fabrics. The exception was a new line of Martha Stewart letters. They did have a rub on in the color my oldest was after but I don't think "Comet Rider" would look so good in silver embossed lettering. ;)

That transfer film would sure be handy. I wonder if Glad Press N' Clear (for sealing bowls and foods) might work as a substitute? It doesn't have lines but it has a mild tack.

Our art supply store closed down a few years ago and is now inhabited by yet another eatery. :(

I did do some searching of the usual places yesterday. Rub on letters were scarce, except for fabrics. The exception was a new line of Martha Stewart letters. They did have a rub on in the color my oldest was after but I don't think "Comet Rider" would look so good in silver embossed lettering. ;)

That transfer film would sure be handy. I wonder if Glad Press N' Clear (for sealing bowls and foods) might work as a substitute? It doesn't have lines but it has a mild tack.[/QUOTE]

Lisa:
try www.dickblick.com I haven't ordered from them in a year or so but used to carry both ziptone and Chartpak rub-on and vinyl letters. they ship very fast and on this kind of paper stuff it's pretty inexpensive. also look for vinyl transfer film as well:)
Hope this helps.

The finish on one of these rockets has a grainier feel than I'm used to and wouldn't hold a rub-on or sticker well. (It's Plasti-kote as opposed to the Rustoleum Gloss we usually use). Would giving that a coat or two of Future provide a better surface for sticking?

The finish on one of these rockets has a grainier feel than I'm used to and wouldn't hold a rub-on or sticker well. (It's Plasti-kote as opposed to the Rustoleum Gloss we usually use). Would giving that a coat or two of Future provide a better surface for sticking?

I think future would make it worse because it's a slick surface, but I'm not really speaking from experience. Personally, I think I'd try sanding the rocket and adding another coat or two of the paint you normally use. You know that works, so go that route.

Pippen:
The problem is the grainy finish itself. It's very difficult to get any kind of adhesive backed or decal to stick to a grainy or matte finish, It's no breeze to get Paint to flow well on matte or grainy finishes.
Future is not a good solution it'll just make matters worse. I'd strongly suggest going at the finish with a green, fine or grey, ultra fine scotchbrite sanding pad with water or wet sand with 320 or 400 grit papers to remove as much of the Grain or orange peels (whatever the condition)as possible.
You might try masking a rectangle in the area the lettering is to go and brushing of a few coats of pactra clear in an attempt to smooth out some of the high spots but I really believe it's gonna take a good bit of wet sanding to ready the surface for lettering.
It's a lesson in finishing Pippen, ie correcting a poorly applied, or miss used product painted finish, There really is no "easy" answer... let the lesson proceed;)

Edit: It may be "Quicker" to rough sand down the current finish with 120 grit followed by 220girt and re-shooting the entire model, depending on how rough the finish really is.
Hope this helps.

In a shopping mall close to my home there is a kiosk in the center of the aisle that cuts vinyl lettering. I showed them what I wanted, they built a computer image then the machine cut out just what I designed. I think it was $7.00 for two images. I used this for a mini-Armageddon scratch, 1.6" diameter body tube, and the lettering is tremendous, perfectly in line. Put a little soapy water on the rocket and slid them into place. Dabbed them with a paper towel and they stuck nicely. I haven't had any experience placing letters on a grainy surface but the adhesive is very good on the lettering and I'd think even with some surface imperfection the lettering would perform adequately.

Lots of great ideas from the others. You can see you have lots of choices.

Swimmer

Lots of great ideas from the others. You can see you have lots of choices.

Indeed! I don't know what she's going to opt for yet, but I do know I'll be revisiting this thread for ideas for future crops of kids. I wasn't aware of many of these choices--many thanks to all of you.

Back