L3 Build - HyperLOC 1600

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csoechtig

Reaction score
I’m taking the plunge and going for my L3 in March (assumng the weather cooperates). Considering I got my L2 on a HyperLOC 835 (w/J350W), I thought it would be fun to go for my L3 on a HyperLOC 1600 (w/M1297W). Of course, this bird will require a lot more reinforcement than the 835.

I’ve been working with my TAPs (Jim West and Bill Robinson) and am now 95%+ complete with the build. Although I didn’t start a thread when I began in late December, I did snap a few pics along the way and will post them throughout my update.

First, I’ll start with a few details…

Kit: HyperLoc 1600
Total Length: 108”
75mm MMT

Parts Breakdown
Nose Cone
- LOC/Precision Ogive Nose Cone (5.5 Dia / 21.0 length)

Body Tubes
- LOC/Precision Paper Body Tubes (5.5400 in) - Body tubes stripped and wrapped with 2 layers of 5.79 oz. fiberglass
- Payload Bay: 24.0” / Vent Band: 1.0” / Main Airframe: 67.5” (20” & 42”)
- 11” Coupler for lower airframe (Stiffy coupler reinforcement)

Fins
- 3x G-10 1/8” Fiberglass

Electronic Bay
- LOC/Precision 5.38” Electronic Bay with Stiffy Coupler

Center Rings
- 3x ¼” LOC/Precision Aircraft plywood (Birch) Ring

Motor Mount
- LOC/Precision Paper Body Tube (3.1800 in) [Length: 24.00 in]

Electronics
- Perfect Flight StratoLogger SL100
- Settings: Drogue at apogee / Main at 900 feet
- Perfect Flight StratoLogger SL100
- Settings: Drogue at apogee (-1 second) / Main at 700 feet

Hardware
- Nosecone Fin Tab replaces with 3/8” Forged Eyebolt
- AV Bay hardware replaced with 5/16” Stainless U-Bolts
- Shock cord connection to MMT replaced with 1/4” Stainless U-Bolt

Recovery
- Main Shock Cord: 28 feet - 1/2” Tubular Kevlar (25’ + 3’)
- Main Chute: 120” Crossfire (Max Load: 45lbs) - Six-Panel ripstop nylon
- Drogue Shock Cord: 40 feet - 1/2” Tubular Kevlar
- Drogue Chute: TBD based upon conditions
- GPS Tracker: Garmin Astro 320

Motor Retainer
- Aerotech 75mm retainer

Rail Guides
- 2x 1515 Rail Buttons

Adhesives
- Primary Construction: Aeropoxy 6209 A/B Liquid Structural Adhesive
- Fin Filets: West Systems105/205 with Filler
- J-B weld for motor retainer

Estimates (without Motor):
- Weight: 18.8 Lbs
- CG: 62.548 inches
- CP: 85.95 inches from front
- Margin: 5.88 Overstable

Estimates (with Motor – Aero Tech M1297W):
- weight: 29 Lbs
- CG: 73.94 inches
- CP: 85.95 inches
- Margin: 2.18 Overstable

The RocSim file on www.RocketReviews.com is completely wrong. So, I redesigned it in Open Rocket. I'm happy to attach the file, but I don't know how.

On to the build...

Last edited:
My last several builds (combination of kits and scratch) were all intended to prep for my L3. Here’s where I began…

Stripped outer layer from the Paper tubes in preparation for Fiber-glassing.

2 - tubes stripped and prepped for FG.jpg

Fiber-glassed the body tubes and vent band (2 wraps of 5.79 oz. fiberglass).

3 - Payload and Vent band wrapped in FG.jpg

7 - fiberglassed tubes pieced together.jpg

Last edited:
Constructed the fin-can…
- Used a homemade fin-jig to create fin guides (lines on MMT)
- Epoxied 2 CR’s to ‘wedge’ the fins in place
- Used 5 minute epoxy to ‘tack’ the G-10 fins in place
- Used Aeropoxy 6209 A/B for all internal fillets
- Attached ¼” U-Bolt on upper CR to secure Drogue Shock Cord
- Epoxied upper CR 2” from top of MMT
- Epoxied 2 blocks of wood on Center-rings to attach rail-guides
- Used JB Weld to attach 75mm Aeropack Motor Retainer

5 - homemade fin jig on MMT.jpg

4 - MMT prepped for pre-build.jpg

6- Pre-built Fin Can.jpg

Dry Fit the FinCan

8 - fincan inserted.jpg

Last edited:
Fin Fillets
- Applied West Marine epoxy with Filler.
- Once dry, applied Elmer’s Wood filler to make the fillets smooth (purely cosmetic)

Fin Fillets.jpg

Nose Cone Prep
- Removed Plastic Tab
- Installed 3/8” Forged Eyebolt (secured with large internal washer, 3/8” Nut, and a heavy coat of Aeropoxy Epoxy
- Prepped for Shear Pins... Epoxied 3 thin squares of sheet metal to the nose cone (to act as cutting mechanism for shear pins). This probably was not necessarily considering the tubes are glassed. However, I do it on most of my high power builds and figured it can’t hurt.
- Drilled holes through the sheet metal for Shear Pins

photo 12.jpg

Nosecone with eyebolt.jpg

To attach things (such as OpenRocket files) you have to hit "Go Advanced". Though I think when you're starting a thread it defaults to advanced...

Then, it's the paper-clip looking thingy.

Finished AV Bay
- Drilled holes for 3 removable rivets (to attach payload tube)
- Drilled multiple holes in the AV Vent Band... 2 holes for rotary switches / 3 static pressure vent holes (¼” each)
- Blast Caps installed
- Terminal Blocks installed
- 2x Strato-logger Altimeters installed
- Drogue and Main wires installed (22 ga stranded wire)

Bulkplate w blastcaps.jpg

Electonics.jpg

I will install rotary switches and finalize the wiring after ground testing the deployment charges.

Installed 1515 rail guides

Railguides.jpg

Began Painting - - Prime/Filler

Primer.jpg

Base coats of Yellow and Black - - will finish paint job and gel coat after ground tests

First Coat of Paint.jpg

aft end - w 1st coat of paint.jpg

Awesome Chris - I've been looking forward to seeing your build pics on this one. I've been busy on the av-bay on Big Nuke this evening and was about to post some pics. :)

To attach things (such as OpenRocket files) you have to hit "Go Advanced". Though I think when you're starting a thread it defaults to advanced...

Then, it's the paper-clip looking thingy.

Thanks CarVac. I can't figure it out on the reply. I'll try to post a new thread with the file.

Very good looking!!

Thanks Mason. I like the Black and Yellow scheme of the HyperLOC. It will look a lot better with the Red and Silver accents.

Awesome Chris - I've been looking forward to seeing your build pics on this one. I've been busy on the av-bay on Big Nuke this evening and was about to post some pics. :)

Thanks Jeff – It looks like your Big Nuke is coming along nicely. In my opinion, your first Dual Deployment flight is as exciting as a certification flight. I hope I’m there to see it.

Looky at what showed up in the mail today from 'Rockets R Us' :grin:

photo (2).jpg

75/5120 with seal disc and closures
75/3840 case only
75/2560 case only

I also had enough breeze to see my 120" Crossfire Chute in action...

176.jpg

178.jpg

Chris, when you aren't launching rockets you can use that chute for some skydiving!! Seriously huge, that should definitely bring it down gently!

I'm getting hardware envy staring at all that 75mm hardware. Very shiny. :cool: I'm feeling that L3 bug biting hard..... and my wallet cringing.....lolz.....

Chris, when you aren't launching rockets you can use that chute for some skydiving!! Seriously huge, that should definitely bring it down gently!

Yeah, the chute is pretty big. I'm guessing the weight of the rocket with case/closures is about 21.5 lbs. According to most on-line decent calculators, that will set it down around 17 fps. Maybe after the launch I'll take it parasailing :grin:

Nice chute! Second picture it looks twice as big as in the first picture.

Finally got to ground test the deployment charges.

Drogue with 3.5 grams of BP - - this looks perfect (with 45ft of Shock Cord)

[video=youtube;c21dzpiFBQk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c21dzpiFBQk[/video]

Main with 2.5 grams of BP - - it worked just fine, but I think I might bump it up to 2.75 grams

[video=youtube;l5AbbgzzBPA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5AbbgzzBPA[/video]

Now I can move on to the final details :D

Also, I've been pushing my 54mm birds to the max. I figure the more experience I get with high altitude, the calmer I'll be when I send the HyperLOC 1600 up to 9,000 feet.

This was my 4" FG DarkStar on a K700W in December up to 6,450ft (personal high)!

[video=youtube;O13U7uwvHd8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O13U7uwvHd8[/video]

Then today, I packed a K700W in my 4" Madcow DX3. Open Rocket predicted 6,900 feet. To my amazement, it reached 7,892 feet!!! Unfortunately, it was a bit windy and I had to tromp through a swamp (with a quick tree recovery). But I got everything back in perfect shape. :grin:

[video=youtube;M9snwxJeLD4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9snwxJeLD4[/video]

Last edited:
Also, I've been pushing my 54mm birds to the max. I figure the more experience I get with mega-high altitude, the calmer I'll be when I send the HyperLOC 1600 up to 9,000 feet.

I packed a K700W in my 4" Madcow DX3. Open Rocket predicted 6,900 feet. To my amazement, it reached 7,892 feet!!! Unfortunately, it was a bit windy and I had to tromp through a swamp (with a quick tree recovery). But I got everything back in perfect shape. :grin:

Chris, considering how windy it was yesterday, I'm in awe of your decision (and bravery) to stuff a K700W in that rocket and let 'er rip. :jaw: You sir, are a WILDMAN!!! Great flight, and glad you got it back in one piece. :clap:

Looks like I should start investing in some tracker equipment if I'm going to start pushing 7K+ with my Big Nuke soon. I should be doing some ground testing on the deployment charges tomorrow.

Chris, considering how windy it was yesterday, I'm in awe of your decision (and bravery) to stuff a K700W in that rocket and let 'er rip. :jaw: You sir, are a WILDMAN!!! Great flight, and glad you got it back in one piece. :clap:

Looks like I should start investing in some tracker equipment if I'm going to start pushing 7K+ with my Big Nuke soon. I should be doing some ground testing on the deployment charges tomorrow.

Yeah - it was a borderline decision. My plan was to launch as early as possible; first thing in the morning it was as calm as could be. As the front approached, wind steadily picked up.

I put the rocket on the pad at 10am. Unfortunately, we had some wiring issues and had to change out the control box. In the 30 minutes it took to get everything set up, I bet the winds increased by 5-10 MPH. At that point, I was committed to go!

I opted not to launch my other 4 rockets. But, I was happy with a new altitude record. Now I need to go for 8K!!!

Last edited:
I finished wiring the electonics and installing 2 rotary switches. I just need to do final touches on the paint job. All is on track for a March 16th launch!

Rocket Launch Feb 2013 005.jpg

001.jpg

Looks great Chris....BOL on the cert flight!
Do you recall your loaded weight on the DS and K700?When I flew mine down there last March on a K1275 it was 18lb.

Looks great Chris....BOL on the cert flight!
Do you recall your loaded weight on the DS and K700?When I flew mine down there last March on a K1275 it was 18lb.

Thanks Chris!

Here are the loaded weights for each flight:
Dark Star - 19lbs 8.2oz
DX3 - 17lbs 4.0oz

I would have achieved greater altitude on the DS flight. However, I adjusted the rail to compensate for a 7-10 mph wind. In hindsight, I should have done the same on my DX3.

Last edited:
Yea I chickened out when I seen the wind predictions but I'll be down there no matter what in March for a couple flights.If I can get a k700 in time my DS will make the trip.

I got to see Chris' Hyperloc 1600 on this last Saturday at TTRA.....it is one fine rocket!!! He has done a wonderful job on construction and painting. I have watched Chris progress through his certifications and flight experience since he started coming to TTRA launches. He has always sought advice from more experienced fliers and has applied that advice to his own experiences. His progression through the certifications is exactly the way it should be done. I will be there to witness his L3 flight, and I suspect he will have no problems getting it. Keep up the good work, Chris!

Terry

I got to see Chris' Hyperloc 1600 on this last Saturday at TTRA.....it is one fine rocket!!! He has done a wonderful job on construction and painting. I have watched Chris progress through his certifications and flight experience since he started coming to TTRA launches. He has always sought advice from more experienced fliers and has applied that advice to his own experiences. His progression through the certifications is exactly the way it should be done. I will be there to witness his L3 flight, and I suspect he will have no problems getting it. Keep up the good work, Chris!

Terry

I would also like to add, Chris is also a great help to less experienced people getting into the hobby. My first experience flying with the TTRA group last July was awesome (I did my L2 cert that day), Chris was there and helped me get my big fat LOC Bruiser on the launch rail. Over the past year I've bent his ear and asked him lots of questions about dual deploy, recovery, etc. Its really helped me improve my building techniques.

Looking forward to that March launch!

Terry

Thanks Terry!

I appreciate the Kudos on the rocket. It will look a lot better on launch day.

As far as my progression through the certifications, I’ve enjoyed every step of the way! I highly encourage anybody getting into this hobby to take a similar approach. To me, all of the following milestones are worth preparing for and gaining lots of experience with before moving on to the next…

* Mid-power
* L1 – (experience with a variety of thrust to weight ratios in the H & I class)
* Dual Deployment
* L2 – (experience with a variety of thrust to weight ratios in the J & K class)
* Performance goals – (Mile High, 6k, 7k, 8k, etc.)
* Scratch Builds
* L3!

We have a great club and plenty of skilled rocketeers to bounce ideas off of and to ask questions from. You are absolutely right – it would be very difficult to improve your skill-set without leaning on people with experience; certainly people with L3 on their ID card.

Thanks Again – see you in March!

I would also like to add, Chris is also a great help to less experienced people getting into the hobby. My first experience flying with the TTRA group last July was awesome (I did my L2 cert that day), Chris was there and helped me get my big fat LOC Bruiser on the launch rail. Over the past year I've bent his ear and asked him lots of questions about dual deploy, recovery, etc. Its really helped me improve my building techniques.

Looking forward to that March launch!

Thanks Jeff,

There is no way I could have advanced through this hobby as quickly as I did without the benefit of TRF. Now that I have a couple years under my belt and over 14 High Power builds, it’s pretty cool to share some of my experience with other people. I'm glad I've been able to help you out on occasion.

By the way - - I’m bringing my Big Nuke to the April launch and putting it up on a K480W. Interested in a mile high drag race? :cool:

Last edited:
Paint job is complete and she's ready to fly!

Considering I am 6' 7", I make all rockets look small. So, I like to click pictures with my 5' 2" wife next to them :) ...

010.jpg

009.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

Now I just need to wait until March 16th and pray for sunny skies & light winds :headbang:

Very nice looking rocket. I think I smell the new paint all the way up here in WI. Thanks for chooseing the TFR Crossfire chute.
Gary

Looks good!

I hope the weather cooperates, and the rocket gods smile upon your flight.

-Kevin

Back