Krylon over Wal-mart paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazzdevl1

Reaction score
I painted part of a rocket with Walmart Color Place Orange. Let it dry for a week. Masked it off and tried to paint over the orange with Krylon Glossy Black. The Krylon wrinkled very badly.

I sanded it down. Primed with a coat of Kliz to fill any imperfections. Then tried again with the Krylon Black. It did it again!

So, I sanded it all down. Retaped the whole thing to get rid of any trace of the Krylon and repainted the orange base color.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Apparently there is still some Krylon solvent or soem chemical on the part that got under the tape I used. the orange wrinkled. AGAIN!!

Now, I not really asking for advise on paint selection at this point. And I know that I must sand the entire thing down AGAIN!! What I am asking is what suggestion do y'all have for cleaning the Krylon residue from the part before trying to repaint it? Would just letting it dry for a week or so and then repaint with the Krylon on the base (masking off the black)? Or, should I clean it with something like denatured alcohol?

It would be easy if Krylon's orange was the color I needed. But, it is a scale model of an AIM4-C Falcon. The Walmart orange matches better. I could also use Walmart black. But, there is a change of the Krylon lingering around to foul it up again. I don't think my sanity can handle another melt own.

Let me know what you think.

Cliff

Cliff, I've had some rockets from which I've had to strip plasti-kote sandable sealer which never cured properly. I used acetone.

Thanks Tom. I hope I don't have to go to that extreme. I'm gonna let it all dry for a few more days. Then sand it again. I bought a can each of black and orange Walmart paint. Maybe I'll have better luck this time.

Cliff

Originally posted by tazzdevl1
Thanks Tom. I hope I don't have to go to that extreme. I'm gonna let it all dry for a few more days. Then sand it again. I bought a can each of black and orange Walmart paint. Maybe I'll have better luck this time.

Cliff
I've used the Walmart paint for half of the work I've done and the label instructions are clear - additional coats must be applied within 4 hours or after 1 week. I once made the mistake of adding a new color after only a couple of days and it orange peeled badly.

Since then, I've had no problems with repainting as long as I strictly followed those instructions, including adding additional color with light masking within the first 4 hours.

Just a heads up.

Thanks Jbeau, I was aware of the one week thing. The paint that wrinkled last had been on the rocket for well over a week. I think my problem is more incompatible chemicals in the two paints.

Cliff

Originally posted by tazzdevl1
I painted part of a rocket with Walmart Color Place Orange. Let it dry for a week. Masked it off and tried to paint over the orange with Krylon Glossy Black. The Krylon wrinkled very badly.
(snip)
Then tried again with the Krylon Black. It did it again!
(snip)
the orange wrinkled. AGAIN!!
(snip)
Let me know what you think.
I don't think the problem is necessarily the Krylon. It's more likely the Color Place. I've had the stuff still be tacky two weeks after application. Not good. I suspect humidity is a factor in that. And you're in Panama City, FL, not exactly known for its arid climate :)

Even though you "let it dry for a week", it was still probably not cured enough to stand up to the hot solvents in Krylon. The wrinkling you see in the Krylon is probably the paint underneath it wrinkling.

In all seriousness, you need to quit buying cheap paints. I know you picked it because of its shade of orange, but it's giving you a major headache. I've only ever bought one can of Color Place, but that was more than enough to convince me I didn't want anymore.

Sorry for all your troubles.

Doug

Originally posted by doug_man_sams
In all seriousness, you need to quit buying cheap paints. I know you picked it because of its shade of orange, but it's giving you a major headache. I've only ever bought one can of Color Place, but that was more than enough to convince me I didn't want anymore.
I have to disagree. I use nothing but the cheapest paint and have had no problems. Problems only seem to arise when you mix brands. Use the cheap stuff exclusively -- especially the metallic stuff; it works great -- and I don't think you'll have a problem. Or use the good stuff exclusively. Whatever floats your proverbial boat.

Thanks Doug. You're right.

Cheap paint = big headaches.

I usually use Kylon for all my models. But, I got caught in a "need it now" situation and it bit me in the you know where.

Cliff

How about spraying a bunch of test samples of the bad paint on cardboard and testing them once a week? It should then be safe to repaint your rocket. I'd make the samples at least as thick as the paint on your rocket--thin coats may dry out too fast.

Really dry paint seems to be much less susceptible to paint incompatibilities. But I'm not sure--after a few months/years I often don't remember what I used.

Originally posted by Zack Lau
How about spraying a bunch of test samples of the bad paint on cardboard and testing them once a week? It should then be safe to repaint your rocket. I'd make the samples at least as thick as the paint on your rocket--thin coats may dry out too fast.

Really dry paint seems to be much less susceptible to paint incompatibilities. But I'm not sure--after a few months/years I often don't remember what I used.

I started this exact experiment this past weekend! :)

The problem occurs because Krylon is not an enamel, but a lacquer. You can paint enamel over lacquer, but not visa-versa. Generally I do not use two different brands of paint on any given model. If you have to, the best thing to do is to do test on scrap wood. I myself prefer Krylon. I find the cheap house brands tend to go on much thicker and take much longer to dry then Krylon.

Dan

Originally posted by dwinings
I find the cheap house brands tend to go on much thicker and take much longer to dry then Krylon.
That's interesting, because my experience has been the opposite. The Wal-Mart paints go on light and they dry extremely fast. Maybe it's the intense desert heat here in AZ.

I said tend, there are some exceptions, but I find Krylon to be the most consistant.

I know someone has a product compatibility chart out there somewhere. I have seen it, but I cannot find it now.

If you can't wait, there is an alternate technique that I once used successfully. Paint the rocket with a light coat of primer that is compatible with your finish coat. Sand down the wrinkled finish. Repaint and sand until you get a smooth finish.

The idea is to use a primer coat as a protective layer, so the final coat doesn’t lift or wrinkle the paint underneath.

Yep, tried that with Kilz. The Krylon "ate" both the Kilz and Walmart paint.

Lesson= Don't mix paint brands.

I knew that when I started this thread. I just wanted to know what if anything woudl clean it up enough to repaint it.

Cliff

Back